Newbie requests help

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adam B, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Adam B

    Adam B Guest

    Hello, All!

    I am designing my first web site and have hit a couple of difficulties. I
    would greatly appreciate some help in resolving these. It looks pretty much
    the way that I want it to in Firefox and Opera, but bad things happen in IE.
    I am having trouble with the following:

    The links div is expanded to a larger size and collapses on mouseover.

    The main text area (id=center) falls below the navigation box in Internet
    Exploder rather than beside it.

    The link for a CSS validation check ends up outside the footer area.

    The page can be found at: http://web.njit.edu/~akb3/Pack160v2.html.
    I know these are CSS issues and this is a HTML group, but both seem to be
    topics of discussion here. If this is the wrong place to ask CSS questions,
    please direct me to a group that is more appropriate. Any comments on style
    or on areas where I could do a better job of coding are also appreciated. I
    am learning this pretty much from scratch as I go along in this project and
    any input would be helpful.

    Notes:
    The onsite links are not valid yet. These pages will be based on the final
    design for the main page to ensure visual continuity throughout the site.

    The graphic is only a temporary placeholder. I intend to replace it with one
    of appropriate size as soon as I find one or figure out how to make one.

    With best regards, Adam B. E-mail:

    Adam B, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Adam B

    Uncle Pirate Guest

    Adam B wrote:
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > I am designing my first web site and have hit a couple of difficulties. I
    > would greatly appreciate some help in resolving these. It looks pretty much
    > the way that I want it to in Firefox and Opera, but bad things happen in IE.
    > I am having trouble with the following:

    You are off to a good start. I looked in FF first; nice looking page.
    Looking at it in Maxthon (IE clone+) and see your problem. Examining
    your code, the first thing I noticed (besides your use of strict - good
    for you) was the containers in containers in containers. You don't need
    a "page" container, that is <body>.

    IE and other browsers calculate overall width slightly different. I've
    found that if I reduce the widths to slightly less than 100%, they will
    sit side by side in IE. Sometimes I can go as little off of 100 as 98%,
    sometimes more, it seems to depend on how many objects you have sitting
    side by side. I know that it has something to do with calculating
    overall by adding content, border, margin and padding but sometimes it
    seems there is a random factor in there too.

    > The links div is expanded to a larger size and collapses on mouseover.
    >
    > The main text area (id=center) falls below the navigation box in Internet
    > Exploder rather than beside it.
    >
    > The link for a CSS validation check ends up outside the footer area.
    >

    > The page can be found at: http://web.njit.edu/~akb3/Pack160v2.html.
    > I know these are CSS issues and this is a HTML group, but both seem to be
    > topics of discussion here. If this is the wrong place to ask CSS questions,
    > please direct me to a group that is more appropriate. Any comments on style
    > or on areas where I could do a better job of coding are also appreciated. I
    > am learning this pretty much from scratch as I go along in this project and
    > any input would be helpful.
    >
    > Notes:
    > The onsite links are not valid yet. These pages will be based on the final
    > design for the main page to ensure visual continuity throughout the site.
    >
    > The graphic is only a temporary placeholder. I intend to replace it with one
    > of appropriate size as soon as I find one or figure out how to make one.
    >

    > With best regards, Adam B. E-mail:

    Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
    '94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

    Uncle Pirate, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Adam B

    Adam B Guest

    Hello, Uncle!
    You wrote on Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:08:10 -0700:

    UP> Adam B wrote:
    ??>> Hello, All!
    ??>>
    ??>> I am designing my first web site and have hit a couple of
    ??>> difficulties. I would greatly appreciate some help in resolving these.
    ??>> It looks pretty much the way that I want it to in Firefox and Opera,
    ??>> but bad things happen in IE. I am having trouble with the following:

    UP> You are off to a good start. I looked in FF first; nice looking page.
    UP> Looking at it in Maxthon (IE clone+) and see your problem. Examining
    UP> your code, the first thing I noticed (besides your use of strict - good
    UP> for you) was the containers in containers in containers. You don't
    UP> need a "page" container, that is <body>.

    UP> IE and other browsers calculate overall width slightly different. I've
    UP> found that if I reduce the widths to slightly less than 100%, they will
    UP> sit side by side in IE. Sometimes I can go as little off of 100 as
    UP> 98%, sometimes more, it seems to depend on how many objects you have
    UP> sitting side by side. I know that it has something to do with
    UP> calculating overall by adding content, border, margin and padding but
    UP> sometimes it seems there is a random factor in there too.

    ??>> The links div is expanded to a larger size and collapses on mouseover.
    ??>>
    ??>> The main text area (id=center) falls below the navigation box in
    ??>> Internet Exploder rather than beside it. The link for a CSS validation
    ??>> check ends up outside the footer area. The page can be found at:
    ??>> http://web.njit.edu/~akb3/Pack160v2.html. I know these are CSS issues
    ??>> and this is a HTML group, but both seem to be topics of discussion
    ??>> here. If this is the wrong place to ask CSS questions, please direct
    ??>> me to a group that is more appropriate. Any comments on style or on
    ??>> areas where I could do a better job of coding are also appreciated. I
    ??>> am learning this pretty much from scratch as I go along in this
    ??>> project and any input would be helpful. Notes: The onsite links are
    ??>> not valid yet. These pages will be based on the final design for the
    ??>> main page to ensure visual continuity throughout the site. The graphic
    ??>> is only a temporary placeholder. I intend to replace it with one of
    ??>> appropriate size as soon as I find one or figure out how to make one.
    ??>>
    ??>> With best regards, Adam B. E-mail:
    ??>>

    Thank You!

    Removing the page div and reducing the width of the center div did the trick
    for the overall layout. (the div was called center because I intended to add
    a third column for announcements but I could not get this working. I finally
    decided to widen the center div an put the announcement div inside it, with
    an acceptable result).

    Can anyone spot the problem with the collapsing navigation div in Internet
    Explorer or with the CSS check link falling outside the footer div? These
    problems are driving me crazy.

    With best regards, Adam B. E-mail:

    Adam B, Apr 5, 2005