Newbie: Return a xml-document to client

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Daniel Johansson, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Hi

    I have a webservice that generates a xmldocument when you call it either
    from a .aspx-site or with http-GET.
    eg. http://...ws.asmx/method?arg1&arg2
    I now want to present this xmldocument for the user i his/her webclient (eg
    Internet Explorer). I cannot return the xml-document as a dataset since
    "
    The same table (ContactAddress) cannot be the child table in two nested
    relations.
    at System.Data.DataRelation.CheckNestedRelations()
    "

    A problem with the datasets. Hence my xmldocument isn´t compatible with a
    dataset.

    My question is how i should solve this problem. I can return a void and
    simply Redirect to the place
    where my xml-document is but that isn´t very nice.

    And btw, how do I stream and return the xmldocument, it doesn´t seem
    practicle to write a new
    document for every request.

    Regards
    // Daniel

    Daniel Johansson, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Daniel Johansson

    simon taylor Guest

    How about returning the actual xml it as a string ? Then on your
    client app discard the SOAP envelope, extract the xml and away you go.

    If I'm missing something please do say so :)
    simon.

    simon taylor, Aug 12, 2003