newbie - role & membership management

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by AAOMTim, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. AAOMTim

    AAOMTim Guest

    I have been able to configure the SQL provider for membership and role
    management, but I noticed that members are always tied to a specific
    application (as are roles). What I really want to do is to create one user
    database that can be shared by multiple applications with roles that are
    application specific (much easier to have IT manage one such database). I'm
    wondering if I can use a common applicationName such as "HouseOfApps" for the
    membership provider configuration in the web.config file for each app, but
    use a distinct applicationName such as "KitchenApp" in the role manager? How
    is the applicationName setting used by the various apps? Does it have to
    correspond to the application name of the web app?

    I'd like to avoid a having to build a custom provider.

    Does the fact that I also want to add an approval process (administered by
    members of a specifc admin role) for creating new users require that I have
    to build a custom provider?

    Thank you!
    --
    Tim

    AAOMTim, Jan 12, 2006

  2. Hi,

    the applicationName can be set to anything you want - but it has to be in
    sync between membership and roles. This is how it was designed.

    you can set the IsApproved in membership manually to false - until some admin
    activates the user.

    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jan 12, 2006