newbie - role & membership management

AAOMTim

I have been able to configure the SQL provider for membership and role
management, but I noticed that members are always tied to a specific
application (as are roles). What I really want to do is to create one user
database that can be shared by multiple applications with roles that are
application specific (much easier to have IT manage one such database). I'm
wondering if I can use a common applicationName such as "HouseOfApps" for the
membership provider configuration in the web.config file for each app, but
use a distinct applicationName such as "KitchenApp" in the role manager? How
is the applicationName setting used by the various apps? Does it have to
correspond to the application name of the web app?

I'd like to avoid a having to build a custom provider.

Does the fact that I also want to add an approval process (administered by
members of a specifc admin role) for creating new users require that I have
to build a custom provider?

Thank you!

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

the applicationName can be set to anything you want - but it has to be in
sync between membership and roles. This is how it was designed.

you can set the IsApproved in membership manually to false - until some admin
activates the user.