    as an example of what I want to do.

    Is this acheived as simply as using OnMouseOver combined with usemap or is
    java required.
    Shawn Modersohn, Apr 2, 2004

  2. Shawn Modersohn

    Jim Roberts Guest

    "Shawn Modersohn" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I want to have my navigation buttons have a rollover and cascading effect.
    > See
    >
    > http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2004/home.jsp
    >
    > as an example of what I want to do.
    >

    > Is this acheived as simply as using OnMouseOver combined with usemap or is
    > java required.

    I personally don't use JavaScript for menus/rollovers. If a user goes to
    that site you gave and has JavaScript disabled, the cascading menus and
    rollovers do not work. I only use JavaScript for extras, things the site
    doesn't depend on to be functional. A nice alternative to JavaScript is CSS.
    You can do easy image rollovers and menus.

    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

    http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/cssnopreloadrollovers/

    A google search for css image rollovers and menus will yield many results.

    Good luck,
    Jim
    Jim Roberts, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Shawn Modersohn

    > I want to have my navigation buttons have a rollover and cascading effect.
    > See
    >
    > http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2004/home.jsp
    >
    > as an example of what I want to do.
    >

    > Is this acheived as simply as using OnMouseOver combined with usemap or is
    > java required.

    I should add that IE doesn't support :hover on anything except <A> links.
    the techniques in the link for css menus will not work in IE. oops. I really
    hate IE.

    Here's a link for menus that will work with Internet Exploder...

    http://www.codeproject.com/html/purecssmenus.asp

    Jim Roberts
    Jim Roberts, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Toby A Inkster, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Shawn Modersohn

    Jim Roberts Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Roberts wrote:
    >
    > > Here's a link for menus that will work with Internet Exploder...
    > > http://www.codeproject.com/html/purecssmenus.asp

    > Pity they're crappy invalid tag soup.

    That's just one example.
    What's really a pity is that Internet Explorer is a broken browser.
    Sometimes you have to resort to 'invalid tag soup' as you call it.
    Jim Roberts, Apr 3, 2004
  6. Shawn Modersohn

    Jim Roberts Guest

    "Jim Roberts" <> wrote in message

    > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > > Jim Roberts wrote:
    > >
    > > > Here's a link for menus that will work with Internet Exploder...
    > > > http://www.codeproject.com/html/purecssmenus.asp

    > > Pity they're crappy invalid tag soup.
    > >

    > That's just one example.
    > What's really a pity is that Internet Explorer is a broken browser.
    > Sometimes you have to resort to 'invalid tag soup' as you call it.

    Actually that is pretty crappy code. Honestly, I would not resort to that. I
    would just find some other way to present my content... The other css menus
    I gave links to are still functional in IE, they just won't cascade...
    Jim Roberts, Apr 3, 2004
  7. thanks everybody

    Shawn Modersohn, Apr 3, 2004