newbie, rollover images+usemap

Jim Roberts

Shawn Modersohn said:
I want to have my navigation buttons have a rollover and cascading effect.
See

http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2004/home.jsp

as an example of what I want to do.

Is this acheived as simply as using OnMouseOver combined with usemap or is
java required.

I personally don't use JavaScript for menus/rollovers. If a user goes to
that site you gave and has JavaScript disabled, the cascading menus and
rollovers do not work. I only use JavaScript for extras, things the site
doesn't depend on to be functional. A nice alternative to JavaScript is CSS.
You can do easy image rollovers and menus.

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/cssnopreloadrollovers/

A google search for css image rollovers and menus will yield many results.

Good luck,
Jim

Jim Roberts

Shawn Modersohn said:
I want to have my navigation buttons have a rollover and cascading effect.
See

http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2004/home.jsp

as an example of what I want to do.

Is this acheived as simply as using OnMouseOver combined with usemap or is
java required.
I should add that IE doesn't support :hover on anything except <A> links.
the techniques in the link for css menus will not work in IE. oops. I really
hate IE.

Here's a link for menus that will work with Internet Exploder...

http://www.codeproject.com/html/purecssmenus.asp

Jim Roberts

Jim Roberts

Toby A Inkster said:
Pity they're crappy invalid tag soup.

That's just one example.
What's really a pity is that Internet Explorer is a broken browser.
Sometimes you have to resort to 'invalid tag soup' as you call it.

Jim Roberts

Jim Roberts said:
That's just one example.
What's really a pity is that Internet Explorer is a broken browser.
Sometimes you have to resort to 'invalid tag soup' as you call it.

Actually that is pretty crappy code. Honestly, I would not resort to that. I
would just find some other way to present my content... The other css menus
I gave links to are still functional in IE, they just won't cascade...