Newbie security problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Remo Aschwanden, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. Hi

    I tried to write a webservice for test purposes. I have some PHP
    experience but am a newbie in C# ASP.NET web development.

    On the development machine (VS 2005) I create an empty ASP.NET web
    service project and added the [WebMethod] "HelloWorld" to it. When the
    service is run from the IDE by the development server, everything seems
    to be fine.

    Now I copied the files to an IIS virtual directory and tried to call the
    method. Now I get the error message "Server application not available"
    (this is my english translation of the german text). When I take a look
    into the application event log I see a warning (source: ASP.NET
    2.0.50727.0)

    System.IO.FileLoad Exeption
    The file or assembly System.Web ... has not been found. Access
    denied. ...

    followed by an error message (source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0)

    The request could not be processed because the ASP.NET process
    identity has no read access to the global assembly cache.

    In the IIS virtual directory I have enabled anonymous access by the
    default IUSR_... user, i.e. I did not change the default settings.

    Ì am totally unexperienced in .NET-Security in general and ASP.NET
    security in particular.

    Do I have to grant more rights to this user? Which rights? Where do I do
    that?

    The development machine is a virtual machine (Virtual PC, XP Prof). I
    originally installed the development environment, copied the virtual
    machine and changed the computer name afterwards. Does this procedure
    have any unwanted side effects?

    Thanks you in advance for all helpful contributions.

    Remo A.

    Remo Aschwanden, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Remo Aschwanden

    Tomar Guest

    Go to inetmgr
    Select your project
    right click -->properties-->Directory tab
    Application Name --> Remove and create application again.

    Also check for local path permission on top

    Tomar, Mar 4, 2008