Newbie seeks a little assistance..

Rob Meade

Hi all,

I have been using visual studio at work now for several months and have
produced a couple 'small' apps - however - this weekend as time was running
out I figured I'd carry on with the project at home...

I have installed visual studio 2003 at home, I have a web setup under IIS,
and I have plonked in the files which I'd zipped and sent home.

When I try to run the app at this end I get a nasty look error that I've not
been able to resolve - I've tried what it suggests but it doesnt seem to
help...

If anyone can help explain (in easy words) what exactly I need to do to
resolve this issue I would be grateful - the error appears as follows:

Server Error in '/webmasters' Application.
----

Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary
ASP.NET Files\webmasters\e388381a\3c0d88c8" is denied.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\webmasters\e388381a\3c0d88c8" is denied.

granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\webmasters\e388381a\3c0d88c8" is denied.]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path)
+632
System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path) +195
System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFirstTimeInit(HttpContext
context) +85

System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.EnsureFirstTimeInit(HttpContex
t context) +97

System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetPreservedAssemblyEntry(Http
Context context, String virtualPath, Boolean fApplicationFile) +29
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemFromPreservedCompilation()
+91
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal(Boolean
fCreateIfNotFound) +148
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemWithNewConfigPath() +125
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() +88
System.Web.UI.ApplicationFileParser.GetCompiledApplicationType(String
inputFile, HttpContext context, ApplicationFileParser& parser) +171
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.CompileApplication(HttpContext context)
+43
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.Init(HttpContext context) +485
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext
context) +170
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +414

Rob Meade

In addition to this, I have just tried to create a new blank solution, then
added a new project and created a new webform1.aspx file etc.

Added a label to say "hello" - ran it , browsed to it, got an error because
I hadnt made the website an 'application' under IIS, so did that, then I got
exactly the same error that I posted up.

If anyone could help me I would be very grateful.

I've read what it said and I have tried adding ASPNET user account to the
directory and have even given FULL access but it still errors.. :eek:/

Regards

Rob

deko

In addition to this, I have just tried to create a new blank solution,
then
added a new project and created a new webform1.aspx file etc.

Added a label to say "hello" - ran it , browsed to it, got an error because
I hadnt made the website an 'application' under IIS, so did that, then I got
exactly the same error that I posted up.

If anyone could help me I would be very grateful.

I've read what it said and I have tried adding ASPNET user account to the
directory and have even given FULL access but it still errors.. :eek:/

Regards

Rob

I'm new to VS.NET as well, so take this advice with that caveat. But one
thing I remember reading recently is that the IIS metabase config settings
are applied before any request to the ASP.NET worker process is dispatched.
What this means is that IIS security settings will override ASP.NET security
settings. If the app runs in one environment, and then fails in another,
with the IIS server as a variable, perhaps this has something to do with it?
If you figure it out, please post back...

Rob Meade

If you figure it out, please post back...

I have managed to get it running!

Found an article which mentioned that the permissions needed to be set for
Network Service for the directory instead of the IUSR_ or ASPNet accounts.

Having added that its seems fine now!

This I think only applies to Windows Server 2003...

Regards

Rob