[Newbie] self-updating J2ME application?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Udo, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. Udo

    Udo Guest

    Hello.

    I'm currently investigating possibilities of J2ME (more exactly:
    IMP-NG). I have no experience with J2ME (just programmed some
    test-MIDlets some years ago).

    My question: Can a J2ME application upgrade and extend itself?

    By upgrading I mean changing parts of the compiled binary; the
    application downloads the new software version via GPRS and replaces
    itself.

    By extend I mean downloading an additional software component and run
    it as a separate thread.

    Is this possible? The target device will be any J2ME enabled GSM/GPRS
    modem module (not a cellular phone with a display).

    Thanks for any hints,
    Udo

    Udo, Jan 23, 2007