Newbie: Setting up and Running Java Servlets on J2EESDK-1_4

Discussion in 'Java' started by xarora, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. xarora

    xarora Guest

    Hi !
    It's a newbie question:
    I just downloaded j2eesdk-1_4_02_2005Q2-windows.exe and installed on my
    windows. I already had JCreator installed on it.

    Now my question is : I start app server and then how do I run servlets
    ?

    I don;t knwo what to do. I am using Windows XP. Here is what I did :
    1. I installed the software with all the default options, and started
    the appserver, and I also started the pointbase server.
    2. I opend JCreator, and wrote a simple "HelloServlet.java" program
    3. It gives me error when I try to compile it. It can't import
    javax.servlet.*;

    Also, after resolving the above, my second question is that, I will
    have a HelloServlet.class file - where do I save this file so that I
    can view it using http://localhost:8000/HelloServlet ?

    Someone told me that it is easier to use tomcat but the thing is that
    my course requires me to use Sun's j2eesdk ONLY.

    I also know that it would be wiser if go through tutorial and learn
    about 'classpath' etc. But the thing is, at this point, I need to get
    up and running with in next few hours. I will spend rest of the week
    learning from the basics. But at this moment I need to get up and
    running. So, could you please advise me on this. Like, could you give
    me newbie-step-by-step directions (
    for example: locate your j2ee install directory, and find xyz
    subdirectory, and save the file there; or Type xy command on
    dosprompt; and then type abcz command, and then that command etc.)

    Please advise. Thanks a lot. I will eagerly wait for your response.

    xarora

    xarora, Jul 26, 2005

  2. xarora

    xarora Guest

    Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

    xarora, Jul 26, 2005