    finished program onto my desktop in WinXP and just click the icon to
    run it?

    , Aug 22, 2006

  2. red floyd Guest

    red floyd, Aug 22, 2006

  3. Puppet_Sock Guest

    wrote:
    [snip]
    > straight forward - however, what I can't seem to understand is the
    > relationship between C++ and Windows.

    The relationship is, go to a Windows news group and people will
    love your question. Ask it here and it will be off topic. Here we
    deal with C++ language issues. Windows is an operating system.
    Getting stuff running under that is implementation specific, and
    so off topic here.

    Look for news groups with windows or win32 or microsoft in the
    name. If you go to groups.google.com you should be able to find
    an entire set of microsoft.public.* groups, and find many helpful
    answers in there.
    Socks

    Puppet_Sock, Aug 22, 2006
  4. Jim Langston Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just getting my head round the language and finding it reasonably
    > straight forward - however, what I can't seem to understand is the
    > relationship between C++ and Windows. If I write a program in C++ I use
    > notepad then compile it and run it in the command prompt (which to me
    > is just like using DOS). What is the process where I can put my
    > finished program onto my desktop in WinXP and just click the icon to
    > run it?

    Once you have your .exe (which you are running from the command prompt) you
    can move that .exe anywhere (including your desktop) to run it just like any
    other program.

    If, on the other hand, you are asking about why yours is in a console window
    instead of a regular window, that's because you wrote a console program and
    not a windowed program. You'll need to read up on that.

    Jim Langston, Aug 22, 2006