newbie SQL Server 2005 connection question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SpaceMarine, Aug 5, 2007.

  1. SpaceMarine

    SpaceMarine Guest

    hello,

    i have a SQL Server instance running on a server. i have an ASP.NET
    application running locally on my dev machine. in my app's web.config
    i have this connection string:

    <add key="connStr" value="server=MYSERVER; database=MyDb;
    Integrated Security=SSPI;" />

    ....however, this connection is refused w/ this error message:

    Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted
    SQL Server connection.

    so the question is -- how do i setup a user in the db instance that is
    associated w/ a trusted connection? currently for users i have a
    "MYSERVER\ASPNET", however thats local to the server -- its not my dev
    machine's ASPNET account. i tried to add one via the right-click "New
    User", but wasnt able to point to the DEVMACHINE\ASPNET account.

    thanks for you help.

    sm

    SpaceMarine, Aug 5, 2007

  2. DEVMACHINE\ASPNET is a local account on the development machine, and cannot
    be seen by the other machine. Create a user account on that machine, and
    have your connection string use that user's credentials.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP