[newbie] starting geany from within idle does not work

Jean Dupont

I'm using the latest Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi and I'd like to start IDLE so that it uses Geany instead of Leafpad. This seems at first sight a trivial task:
Perform a rightmouse click on the IDLE-icon-->Open with: Geany (in stead of the default Leafpad)-->OK
LXTerminal-->lxpanelctl restart

However if I then click on IDLE followed by File-->New Window a Leafpad-session is opened and not a Geany-session
Is there a workaround for it?

thanks in advance
jean
p.s. I posted this question before in the Raspberry Pi forum but nobody seems
to know the answer