Newbie - strange problem (with frames) - help ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jane Doe, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. Jane Doe

    Jane Doe Guest

    Hello,

    problem as follows:

    I have made a webpage with 3 frames

    left | main
    footer

    but for some reason, when I put table on main.html, it leaves a blank space
    on right edge, I cannot make the first line complete from left edge to right
    edge. Code follows, can someone help me with this one ?

    btw, is there a news group, where i could send screen shot of problem (would
    be much easier to explain problem with picture?)

    Thanks in advance.

    index.html --------------------------------------------

    <HTML>
    <TITLE></TITLE>
    <FRAMESET ROWS="*,47" frameborder="0"
    framespacing="0" border="0" scrolling="none">

    <FRAMESET COLS="165,*">
    <FRAME name="left" SRC="left.html">
    <FRAME name="main" SRC="main.html">

    </FRAMESET>
    <FRAME name="footer" SRC="footer.html">
    </FRAMESET>
    </HTML>

    left.html --------------------------------------------

    vlink="#000066" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 leftmargin=0 topmargin=0>

    main.html --------------------------------------------

    vlink="#000066" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0
    leftmargin=0 topmargin=0>

    <TABLE BORDER="0" width="100%" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0"
    BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">

    <TR>
    <TD width="100%" height="16" background="gfx/left_up_1_x1.jpg"></TD>
    </TR>

    </TABLE>

    footer.html --------------------------------------------

    vlink="#000066" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 leftmargin=0 topmargin=0>

    Jane Doe, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Jane Doe wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > problem as follows:
    >
    > I have made a webpage with 3 frames

    there's your first problem - frames are evil (look it up)

    > but for some reason, when I put table on main.html, it leaves a blank
    > space on right edge, I cannot make the first line complete from left
    > edge to right edge.

    You don't need a table to display one image - that's an inappropriate use of
    table markup

    > Code follows, can someone help me with this one ?
    >
    > btw, is there a news group, where i could send screen shot of problem
    > (would be much easier to explain problem with picture?)

    post the URL

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Jane Doe

    rf Guest

    [crossposted groups removed]
    "Jane Doe" <jane.doe@spam_me_like_never_before.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > problem as follows:
    >
    > I have made a webpage with 3 frames

    Therein lies your problem. You are using obsolete technology.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Jane Doe

    Jane Doe Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > Jane Doe wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > problem as follows:
    > >
    > > I have made a webpage with 3 frames

    > there's your first problem - frames are evil (look it up)
    >
    > > but for some reason, when I put table on main.html, it leaves a blank
    > > space on right edge, I cannot make the first line complete from left
    > > edge to right edge.

    > You don't need a table to display one image - that's an inappropriate use

    of
    > table markup

    There is going to be more than one image (actually three), that was just as
    an example.

    Even if I use three images, situation is the same, small empty space in the
    right edge...

    Jane Doe, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Jane Doe wrote in message ...
    > but for some reason, when I put table on main.html, it leaves a blank space
    > on right edge, I cannot make the first line complete from left edge to

    right
    > edge. Code follows, can someone help me with this one ?

    In your index.html you've used a lower-case 'm' in the word 'main'.
    In left.html you've used a capital 'M' in the target name 'Main'

    Make the capital 'M' into a lower-case 'm'

    That's one problem solved.

    --
    Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk

    Trevor George, Dec 12, 2003
  6. "Jane Doe" <jane.doe@spam_me_like_never_before.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > problem as follows:
    >
    > I have made a webpage with 3 frames
    >
    > left | main
    > footer
    >
    > but for some reason, when I put table on main.html, it leaves a blank

    space
    > on right edge, I cannot make the first line complete from left edge to

    right
    > edge. Code follows, can someone help me with this one ?

    You might want to reconsider your use of frames. There is rarely a good
    reason to use frames and they pretty much scream "newbie!". That said, take
    a look at your HTML again and make sure that you don't have any spaces or
    'carriage returns' anywhere before or after the problem area. Sometimes you
    can't see them, so you have to backspace or delete around that area.

    PS: Next time send us a URL to the page and we can see the actual live
    HTML.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Jane Doe

    Jane Doe Guest

    Thanks for your reply Tina,

    here is the URL

    http://members.surfeu.fi/janedoe/

    and screenshot of problem is at

    http://members.surfeu.fi/janedoe/gfx/problem_screenshot.jpg

    still, help needed. Atleast I would like to understand, what is the problem.
    Eventhough I am not going to use frames anymore, but still...

    Jane Doe, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Jane Doe

    PeterMcC Guest

    Jane Doe wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply Tina,
    >
    > here is the URL
    >
    > http://members.surfeu.fi/janedoe/
    >
    > and screenshot of problem is at
    >
    > http://members.surfeu.fi/janedoe/gfx/problem_screenshot.jpg
    >
    > still, help needed. Atleast I would like to understand, what is the
    > problem. Eventhough I am not going to use frames anymore, but still...

    Try the following in the table tag on main.html
    style="border-collapse:collapse"

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Dec 12, 2003
  9. Jane Doe wrote:
    > "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    >> Jane Doe wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> problem as follows:
    >>>
    >>> I have made a webpage with 3 frames

    >> there's your first problem - frames are evil (look it up)
    >>
    >>> but for some reason, when I put table on main.html, it leaves a
    >>> blank space on right edge, I cannot make the first line complete
    >>> from left edge to right edge.

    >> You don't need a table to display one image - that's an
    >> inappropriate use of table markup

    > There is going to be more than one image (actually three), that was
    > just as an example.

    Still not necessary.

    > Even if I use three images, situation is the same, small empty space
    > in the right edge...

    Page is still using frames.

    From another post: http://members.surfeu.fi/janedoe/ looks fine (no gap) in
    Opera and Mozilla but your markup is not quite up to scratch -
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://members.surfeu.fi/janedoe/
    leaving your page to the mercy of in-browser error correction techniques.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 12, 2003
  10. Jane Doe wrote in message ...
    > here is the URL
    > http://members.surfeu.fi/janedoe/

    Jane - there's nothing you can do about that. It's the nature of HTML. If you
    centre the table you'll get an equal space either end. At least that doesn't
    look so bad. Alternatively make the table width 90% then it will read better,
    especially on large monitors. Another option is to have the table background
    colour the same as the page colour so nobody will notice the oddity.

    --
    Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk

    Trevor George, Dec 12, 2003
  11. Jane - Here's a quick few pages I knocked together quickly using your
    slightly-modified mark up. The awful colours are used just to illustrate the
    frames and the HTML is likely to be messy as it was done hurriedly. The link
    target name has to be exactly the same as the target frame name. No mixing up
    of CAPITALS and lower-case.

    Click on http://onmy.sirium.net/temp/

    --
    Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk