  1. mandeelea

    mandeelea Guest

    i have a form that i've written in html and need to user to be able to submit it (more user entered information than just checking one box, but less than a written essay). i understand that having the form "mailto:" is a bad idea and i have access to asp, but i have no idea what to do. do i have the file uploaded to a database or do i have it email it to me (and how is this different than "mailto:")? basically i'm a bit lost as to what exactly "asp" is and which option is best (easiest for me and most "foolproof" for the user). any advice is appreciated.

    mandeelea, Aug 15, 2006

  2. mandeelea

    McKirahan Guest

    <mandeelea> wrote in message news:#...
    > i have a form that i've written in html and need to user to be able to

    submit it (more user entered information than just checking one box, but
    less than a written essay). i understand that having the form "mailto:" is a
    bad idea and i have access to asp, but i have no idea what to do. do i have
    the file uploaded to a database or do i have it email it to me (and how is
    this different than "mailto:")? basically i'm a bit lost as to what exactly
    "asp" is and which option is best (easiest for me and most "foolproof" for
    the user). any advice is appreciated.

    What do you want to do -- insert it into a database, email it, or what?

    Here's a sample that will ask for an e-mail address and then display it.

    <% @Language="VBScript" %>
    <% Option Explicit
    Const cASP = "testform.asp"
    Dim strEMA
    strEMA = Request.Form("Email")
    If strEMA <> "" Then
    Response.Write "<b>" & strEMA & "</b>"
    Response.End
    End If
    %>
    <head>
    <title><%=cASP%></title>
    </head>
    <form action="<%=cASP%>" method="post">
    <b>Email Address :</b> &nbsp;
    <input type="text" name="Email" size="30" maxlength="50">
    <input type="submit" value="Submit">
    </form>

    If you want to insert it into a database then you'll have to find
    out what your Web host supports -- perhaps MS-Access or SQL.

    If you want to email it then you'll have to find out what your
    Web host supports -- perhaps "ASPmail" or "CDONTS"...

    McKirahan, Aug 15, 2006

  3. mandeelea

    Tim Slattery Guest

    mandeelea wrote:

    >i have a form that i've written in html and need to user to be
    >able to submit it (more user entered information than just
    >checking one box, but less than a written essay). i understand
    >that having the form "mailto:" is a bad idea and i have access to
    >asp, but i have no idea what to do. do i have the file uploaded
    >to a database or do i have it email it to me (and how is this
    >different than "mailto:")? basically i'm a bit lost as to what exactly
    >"asp" is and which option is best (easiest for me and most
    >"foolproof" for the user). any advice is appreciated.

    If you use a "mailto:" link you're depending on your user's email
    client to send your data to you. If your user's client is not
    configured correctly or if your user doesn't have email capability, it
    won't work. Having your server-side process email the data to you will
    always work, because it's entirely under your control. You know the
    email software exists and is correctly configured, because you control
    it.

    ASP is a platform for server-side processing. ASP pages can retrieve
    the data your user submits, they can stick it in a database (if you
    have one available), they can email it to you, they can echo it back
    to the user, or anything else you can think of. Since this runs on the
    server - which you control - you can be sure that it will work.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Tim Slattery, Aug 15, 2006