[newbie] Troll-cleaner for web-based forum?

Jane Doe

Hello,

Since I'm just starting with JS, I was wondering if someone
already wrote a filter with regex to access a web-based discussion
forum and remove the threads and messages from trolls? Here's
basically what i'd like to do:

0. Create an array or a comma-separated string that includes all the
trolls
1. Fetch the page that lists the threads
2. <body onload="myfunc()"
3. In myfunc(), using a regex, search any row in the table that
includes one of the trolls, and replace this row with an empty row

Thx much for any help
JD.

Jane Doe

Why don't you do this server-side - then you don't have to store the
messages from the trolls.

Thx, but I'm just a user, and don't have access to the web server :)

JD.

Richard Cornford

Jane Doe said:
Thx, but I'm just a user, and don't have access to the web server :)

A content inserting/re-writing proxy (such a proximitron <URL:
http://www.proxomitron.org/ >) would enable you to insert a script (of
your own devising) into incoming web pages. The exact nature of the
script would depend on the HTML of the pages being visited and the rules
that you would want to use for filtering (and it may even be possible to
have the proxy filter the unwanted content if the rules are
appropriate).

On the over hand, it would probably be better to access usenet
newsgroups via a new server (probably already provided by your ISP) and
take advantage of the built in filtering capabilities of whatever
newsreader software you choose.

Richard.

Jane Doe

A content inserting/re-writing proxy (such a proximitron <URL:
http://www.proxomitron.org/ >) would enable you to insert a script (of
your own devising) into incoming web pages.

Thx :) I'm currently using Privoxy, but as the list of trolls, like
the universe, keeps expanding, I was thinking of moving all those
s/a/b/ regex lines into a JavaScript function. I'll take a look at
Proxomitron.

Thx again
JD.

Richard Cornford

Wouldn't the OP need to ask every visitor to the forum to
install the software?

My reading of the OP was that this was about filtering personal viewing
of HTML discussion forums, to remove posts from individuals that she
considers trolls with her own criteria.

Richard.

Jane Doe

My reading of the OP was that this was about filtering personal viewing
of HTML discussion forums, to remove posts from individuals that she
considers trolls with her own criteria.

Right :) Currently, I'm just copy/pasting regex lines in Privoxy, but
it's a pain. Guess i'll have to look into JavaScript more to move this
into a function.

Thx
JD.