Newbie trying to access local repository with ppm on win2k

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Piet, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Piet

    Piet Guest

    Hi there.
    I have a problem with the ppm. THe ppm itself is working fine, but
    aspparently I cannot access a local repository. ppm has two
    repositories predefined on startup which both access the internet.
    When I use the search command while connected to the net, everything
    is fine, though the number of returned modules is quite large.
    I have thus created a subdirectory ""rep" in my perl installation
    "c:\programme\perl580" and defined a local repository via "rep add
    Local c:\programme\perl580\rep". I copied some perl modules in form of
    their *.tar and *.gz files in this directory, deactivated the
    predefined repositories and performed a complete search via "search *"
    but the ppm just returned "No matches for ´*´; see ´help search´."
    I tried slashes instead of backslashes and adding (back)slashes at the
    end of the pathname, but nothing worked. The repository itself seems
    to be ok; when I rename the directory "rep" to "repo" I get the
    expected error message"Error: No valid repositories: Error: Can't
    initialize repository at 'c:/programme/perl580/rep/': No such file or
    directory". So the problem seems to be that the modules are not
    recognized. What is wrong or missing?
    I would really like to keep my perl installation clean and working...
    please help!
    Piet
    Piet, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Piet

    ko Guest

    Piet wrote:

    > Hi there.
    > I have a problem with the ppm. THe ppm itself is working fine, but
    > aspparently I cannot access a local repository. ppm has two
    > repositories predefined on startup which both access the internet.
    > When I use the search command while connected to the net, everything
    > is fine, though the number of returned modules is quite large.
    > I have thus created a subdirectory ""rep" in my perl installation
    > "c:\programme\perl580" and defined a local repository via "rep add
    > Local c:\programme\perl580\rep". I copied some perl modules in form of
    > their *.tar and *.gz files in this directory, deactivated the
    > predefined repositories and performed a complete search via "search *"
    > but the ppm just returned "No matches for ´*´; see ´help search´."
    > I tried slashes instead of backslashes and adding (back)slashes at the
    > end of the pathname, but nothing worked. The repository itself seems
    > to be ok; when I rename the directory "rep" to "repo" I get the
    > expected error message"Error: No valid repositories: Error: Can't
    > initialize repository at 'c:/programme/perl580/rep/': No such file or
    > directory". So the problem seems to be that the modules are not
    > recognized. What is wrong or missing?
    > I would really like to keep my perl installation clean and working...
    > please help!
    > Piet

    1. Extract the files.
    2. Try moving extracted the files/directories *themselves* in your
    c:\programme\perl580 directory, if they aren't already there.
    3. I've had problems using 'rep rename ...' too. You could try deleting
    the local repository you created, and then starting over.
    4. Read the docs => ActivePerl Components => PPM

    'ppm install PATH2/MOD_NAME.ppd' will also allow you to install locally.
    (use the absolute path to where the *.ppd file is located)

    HTH - keith
    ko, Oct 9, 2003