Newbie trying to access local repository with ppm on win2k

Piet

Hi there.
I have a problem with the ppm. THe ppm itself is working fine, but
aspparently I cannot access a local repository. ppm has two
repositories predefined on startup which both access the internet.
When I use the search command while connected to the net, everything
is fine, though the number of returned modules is quite large.
I have thus created a subdirectory ""rep" in my perl installation
"c:\programme\perl580" and defined a local repository via "rep add
Local c:\programme\perl580\rep". I copied some perl modules in form of
their *.tar and *.gz files in this directory, deactivated the
predefined repositories and performed a complete search via "search *"
but the ppm just returned "No matches for ´*´; see ´help search´."
I tried slashes instead of backslashes and adding (back)slashes at the
end of the pathname, but nothing worked. The repository itself seems
to be ok; when I rename the directory "rep" to "repo" I get the
expected error message"Error: No valid repositories: Error: Can't
initialize repository at 'c:/programme/perl580/rep/': No such file or
directory". So the problem seems to be that the modules are not
recognized. What is wrong or missing?
I would really like to keep my perl installation clean and working...
please help!
Piet

ko

Piet said:
[...]

1. Extract the files.
2. Try moving extracted the files/directories *themselves* in your
c:\programme\perl580 directory, if they aren't already there.
3. I've had problems using 'rep rename ...' too. You could try deleting
the local repository you created, and then starting over.
4. Read the docs => ActivePerl Components => PPM

'ppm install PATH2/MOD_NAME.ppd' will also allow you to install locally.
(use the absolute path to where the *.ppd file is located)

HTH - keith