Newbie trying to get started has basic questions

Randall Parker

I'm trying to figure out what I need to develop web pages with asp.net. Does Visual
Studio 2003 come with whatever is needed to run an aspx file and test it? Or does one
need to get IIS or or something else too?

Also, are there places on the web where one can download example aspx files that do
really database things like show a record from a database and allow the user to
modify some fields and commit the changes as an update?

Also, are there any getting started tutorials on the web that walk one thru
generating web pages from asp.net source files?

Guest

you'll need a web server and database server to develop web pages that
interact with a database. you can get everything you need at asp.net (free
web server and databaserver for development purposes).

rodchar.

Guest

Yes you will need IIS webserver, because you need a webserver to run websites
If you are using Windows 2K or above, i believe the IIS is a part of the
operating system and installed by default.

ASP.NET SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:(not must, a preferred configuration)

Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS)

..Net 1.1 Framework
Available from Microsoft.com

MDAC 2.6 or greater
Available from Microsoft.com

here is some tutorial http://asp.net/Tutorials/quickstart.aspx

if you are new to the web development itself, I am afraid the tutorials in
web may not be detailed enough to give an easy start. Some ASP.NET books from
the Dummies series or similar books may help..

Trevor Benedict R

Apart from reading what you need, you could also download some video files
from http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/archive.aspx and view those. Some of
them have demo's at the end of the video where you can get to view how it
really looks like and the feel of some.

If you know how ASP works then have a look at this
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/episode.aspx?xml=episodes/en/20050310ASPNETSS/manifest.xml.
You can always come back here with more questions anytime you like.

HTH

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD