Newbie trying to get the hang of things

Max Cantor

Hi, all. I apologize in advance if there's a newbie FAQ out there
somewhere that I should have already read. If that's the case, please
point me in the right direction!

I'm a college student studying art & computer science. I know a lot
about PHP, web scripting, binary logic gates, data structures and
algorithms but besides some extremely simple Visual BASIC functions, I
don't know anything practical about, well, real programming. It had
never before occurred to me to see if I could find help on a newsgroup
before, but here I am now!

At the moment I'd really like to be able to program a simple finance
app for my Palm IIIxe, as well as a plugin for the chat client,
Trillian. A fair amount of documentation and samples exist for both of
these SDKs, but I simply lack the basic knowledge to really get
started.

I downloaded the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 from Microsoft's site, and a
sample Trillian plugin to hack. However, every time I try to compile
it, another include file is missing. I'm assuming that I need to
download some kind library or SDK, but I just don't know which one, or
how to really go about setting it up. I'm missing files such as
windows.h, windef.h, pshpack4.h and winnt.h.

So, can anyone help me out, or am I just too green?

Thanks!

Victor Bazarov

Max said:
Hi, all. I apologize in advance if there's a newbie FAQ out there
somewhere that I should have already read. If that's the case, please
point me in the right direction!

http://groups.google.com/ and search for "comp.lang.c++ FAQ". Also,
consider posting to 'alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++' as well.

Also, look for "Welcome to comp.lang.c++" message -- it's full of useful
information for newcomers to this newsgroup, and a _must_ for any
first-timer.
[...]
I downloaded the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 from Microsoft's site, and a
sample Trillian plugin to hack. However, every time I try to compile
it, another include file is missing. I'm assuming that I need to
download some kind library or SDK, but I just don't know which one, or
how to really go about setting it up. I'm missing files such as
windows.h, windef.h, pshpack4.h and winnt.h.

So, can anyone help me out, or am I just too green?

If files are missing, it's not a _language_ problem. Try the newsgroup
for the Microsoft product you're using. See 'microsoft.public.vc.*'
hierarchy of newsgroups.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Max Cantor:
Hi, all. I apologize in advance if there's a newbie FAQ out there
somewhere that I should have already read. If that's the case, please
point me in the right direction!

See Victor's reply.

<url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_01_01_02.html>
<url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_01_01_03.html>