Newbie:Using ASP.NET thread pool thread to dispatch TCP data, etc.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Navin Mishra, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Navin Mishra

    Navin Mishra Guest

    Hi,

    I've an ASP.NET web service which distributes events to clients via TCP.
    Environment is IIS6 on Windows 2003 server with .NET framework 1.1 SP1. A
    client registers with the web service passing its TCP port to send events to
    and web service opens a TCP blocking socket to the client. Whenever the web
    service needs to send an event to the client, it spawns a dynamic
    non-persistent thread to dispatch event to the client over the connected
    blocking socket.

    Does THAT thread count in the configured thread limit of ASP.NET worker
    process worker and I/O threads ? If not, can an ASP.NET thread pool
    thread(I/O or worker) be used instead to dispatch event to the client to
    avoid overhead of creating and destroying TCP event dispatching threads(I
    wanted to dispatch event to the client as soon as it is received and so I
    spawn a new thread everytime) ? If yes, would it be required to use
    asynchronous sockets ? Is a web service needs to send TCP data to an
    endpoint, is it affected by maxConnection parameter ?

    Is it more optimal if, instead of web service opening TCP socket to client,
    the client opens a TCP socket to the web service to get events via TCP ?
    Then that means that web service needs to listen on a TCP port too on
    another thread ?

    Any advice and/or recommendations appreciated!

    Thanks in advance and regards

    Navin
    Navin Mishra, Mar 22, 2005