Newbie: Using XML for normalized data structures

Glenn

Hello,

that is probably the easiest question for somebody working a lot with
XML. I want to know whether there is a standardized way to derive
normalized structures from XML documents.

Example:

I do have two Subelements which are used in two Dimensions. Is there a
way to derive a normalized structure from this example? Or do I have to
do that with programming logic? How could I build the XML-file that this
is possible?

Thank you in advance.

Glenn

Example
-----------

<SUBELEMENT>
<ID>1</ID>
<E-NAME>MyFirst</E-NAME>
</SUBELEMENT>

<SUBELEMENT>
<ID>2</ID>
<E-NAME>MySecond</E-NAME>
</SUBELEMENT>
<DIMENSION>
<ID>1</ID>
<ELEMENTS>
<SUBELEMENT>1</SUBELEMENT>
<SUBELEMENT>2</SUBELEMENT>
</ELEMENTS>
</DIMENSION>

<DIMENSION>
<ID>2</ID>
<ELEMENTS>
<SUBELEMENT>1</SUBELEMENT>
</ELEMENTS>
</DIMENSION>

Joseph Kesselman

Glenn said:
XML. I want to know whether there is a standardized way to derive
normalized structures from XML documents.

First you need a standard definition of "normalized structures". As far
as I know, unless you're talking strictly about canonicalized XML
syntax, that's entirely an application issue.

Converting data from one XML rendering to another is often done via an
XSLT stylesheet -- but you need to write that stylesheet, unless someone
has already written the one you need.