Newbie: Using XML for normalized data structures

Discussion in 'XML' started by Glenn, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Hello,

    that is probably the easiest question for somebody working a lot with
    XML. I want to know whether there is a standardized way to derive
    normalized structures from XML documents.

    Example:

    I do have two Subelements which are used in two Dimensions. Is there a
    way to derive a normalized structure from this example? Or do I have to
    do that with programming logic? How could I build the XML-file that this
    is possible?

    Thank you in advance.

    Glenn

    Example
    -----------

    <SUBELEMENT>
    <ID>1</ID>
    <E-NAME>MyFirst</E-NAME>
    </SUBELEMENT>

    <SUBELEMENT>
    <ID>2</ID>
    <E-NAME>MySecond</E-NAME>
    </SUBELEMENT>
    <DIMENSION>
    <ID>1</ID>
    <ELEMENTS>
    <SUBELEMENT>1</SUBELEMENT>
    <SUBELEMENT>2</SUBELEMENT>
    </ELEMENTS>
    </DIMENSION>

    <DIMENSION>
    <ID>2</ID>
    <ELEMENTS>
    <SUBELEMENT>1</SUBELEMENT>
    </ELEMENTS>
    </DIMENSION>
    Glenn, Aug 24, 2006

  2. Glenn wrote:
    > XML. I want to know whether there is a standardized way to derive
    > normalized structures from XML documents.

    First you need a standard definition of "normalized structures". As far
    as I know, unless you're talking strictly about canonicalized XML
    syntax, that's entirely an application issue.

    Converting data from one XML rendering to another is often done via an
    XSLT stylesheet -- but you need to write that stylesheet, unless someone
    has already written the one you need.

    Joseph Kesselman, Aug 24, 2006