Newbie wants to self-taught java

fasisi

Hello,

I want to learn java. Do you have idea for a project that I can bring
on each level of my learning java?

Thank you

mich

fasisi said:
Hello,

I want to learn java. Do you have idea for a project that I can bring
on each level of my learning java?

Why do you want to learn java? Is it just to learn it or is there some
employment objective? What type of employment are you interested in?

Mark Space

fasisi said:
Hello,

I want to learn java. Do you have idea for a project that I can bring
on each level of my learning java?

Thank you

http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/

Start at the beginning and do each lab project and homework. That'll
get you started.

Note that the class is already underway. You should probably save any
homeworks you do rather than turn them in.

fasisi

Why do you want to learn java? Is it just to learn it or is there some
employment objective? What type of employment are you interested in?

I want to learn Java to make money. I am thinking to sell software.

Ramon F Herrera

Hello,

I want to learn java. Do you have idea for a project that I can bring
on each level of my learning java?

Thank you

There is an award winning book: "Thinking in Java". Remarkably, you
can get it for free on the net.

I would recommend to start with NetBeans, specially if you are used to
MSVS, because it is very easy. Then, you will want more and naturally
migrate to Eclipse, the best IDE ever written.

If you are going to use a GUI Builder, don't bother with Matisse.
There is a much better one (bidirectional), an Eclipse plugin.

-Ramon

mich

fasisi said:
I want to learn Java to make money. I am thinking to sell software.

Ok, but in general what type of software? There are so many different things
that you can do with Java that you might narrow it down. An obvious example
would be what type of front-end would your software have? HTML or Swing, or
something else?

fasisi

Ok, but in general what type of software? There are so many different things
that you can do with Java that you might narrow it down. An obvious example
would be what type of front-end would your software have? HTML or Swing, or
something else?

Currently I am thinking about librarian software. The software stores
library collection information. How many books for each title... how
much left available (can be borrowed)... borrow frequency... how much
books lost... etc. The front-end will be swing.

fasisi

There is an award winning book: "Thinking in Java". Remarkably, you
can get it for free on the net.

I would recommend to start with NetBeans, specially if you are used to
MSVS, because it is very easy. Then, you will want more and naturally
migrate to Eclipse, the best IDE ever written.

If you are going to use a GUI Builder, don't bother with Matisse.
There is a much better one (bidirectional), an Eclipse plugin.

-Ramon

Get "Thinking in Java" for free? Mmm... what is the url? Is it
torrent?
Actually I have both NetBeans and Eclipse for now I still prefer
NetBeans. I still can't make Eclipse open Java's API doc when I ask
for help on some keywords or class name. Can you help me with this one
(open Java's API doc)?

Thank you

Lew

Roger said:
Nope, not a torrent (the book is not that large).
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

The free version is the 3rd edition of the book. The 4th edition is for money.

IMHO /Thinking in Java/ lives up to the title, but it is not necessarily the
best exemplar of how to think in Java. Avoid duck-like imprinting on Bruce
Eckel's style, at least until you've read works by the likes of Joshua Bloch,
Brian Goetz, Doug Lea, Marty Hall and the other luminaries of Java disquisition.

TIJ was a strong jumpstart in my early education in Java programming.

fasisi

The free version is the 3rd edition of the book. The 4th edition is for money.

IMHO /Thinking in Java/ lives up to the title, but it is not necessarily the
best exemplar of how to think in Java. Avoid duck-like imprinting on Bruce
Eckel's style, at least until you've read works by the likes of Joshua Bloch,
Brian Goetz, Doug Lea, Marty Hall and the other luminaries of Java disquisition.

TIJ was a strong jumpstart in my early education in Java programming.

Thanks a lot for the book's link. I am downloading it. Great source!

Thank you.

Ramon F Herrera

Get "Thinking in Java" for free? Mmm... what is the url? Is it
torrent?
> Actually I have both NetBeans and Eclipse for now I still prefer
NetBeans.

My prediction is that (1) You will keep NetBeans. Some stuff is much
better done in NetBeans, such as the OpenOffice plugin. (2) As soon as
you perform certain things in Eclipse, you will migrate to it. YMMV.
If you plan to use a GUI builder you *have* to use Eclipse.
I still can't make Eclipse open Java's API doc when I ask
for help on some keywords or class name. Can you help me with this one
(open Java's API doc)?

What happens is that you have to install the Javadoc somehow. Get the
SWT package (the most professionally packaged package I own, you can
tell its IBM heritage). It comes with a full directory that you place
in the workspace folder, and it has some instructions to make the SWT
javadoc work with code highlighting.

-Ramon

fasisi

NetBeans.

My prediction is that (1) You will keep NetBeans. Some stuff is much
better done in NetBeans, such as the OpenOffice plugin. (2) As soon as
you perform certain things in Eclipse, you will migrate to it. YMMV.
If you plan to use a GUI builder you *have* to use Eclipse.

What happens is that you have to install the Javadoc somehow. Get the
SWT package (the most professionally packaged package I own, you can
tell its IBM heritage). It comes with a full directory that you place
in the workspace folder, and it has some instructions to make the SWT
javadoc work with code highlighting.

-Ramon

Where can I get that Javadoc? Is it from java's website? I already
have it.

Ramon F Herrera

Where can I get that Javadoc? Is it from java's website? I already
have it.

What I meant is that every package should in theory come with its
corresponding javadoc, and instructions for making it work under
Eclipse. I can comment on two packages that I have installed. In the
javadoc category this is the grade they get:

- SWT: A+
- OpenOffice F-

My suggestion is that you download and install SWT (the Swing
competitor, comes from the same folks that brought us Eclipse,
available in Eclipse's web site) just to familiarize yourself with
Javadoc-Eclipse hookup details, as they were very clear (but don't
recall them).

Having javadoc help is one of the most helpful productivity (and
learning) features I can think of. We developers should make a point
of asking: "yes, your package sounds great, but does it come with
javadoc for Eclipse? It is a deal breaker for me".

-Ramon

Lew

Ramon said:
My prediction is that (1) You will keep NetBeans. Some stuff is much
better done in NetBeans, such as the OpenOffice plugin. (2) As soon as
you perform certain things in Eclipse, you will migrate to it. YMMV.
If you plan to use a GUI builder you *have* to use Eclipse.

Based on what do you predict those things?

I've used both Eclipse (and its variants, WSAD and RAD) and NetBeans for
years. Usually on the same projects. I have yet to prefer Eclipse.

Yet I would not predict that the OP would stay with NetBeans over Eclipse.

As to the second point, I have read many, many comments from people who prefer
Eclipse but go on to say that NetBeans is better for GUI development, often
with words like "admittedly" or "except for". I am interested in why you feel
one would "*have*" to go the Eclipse route.

I note that those who seem strongest in GUI development claim to prefer a text
editor to any GUI builder tool. They tend to comments like, "It has a great
GUI builder, but I prefer just to code the GUI in the editor."

And by "GUI", do you mean "Swing"?

Ramon F Herrera

Based on what do you predict those things?

I've used both Eclipse (and its variants, WSAD and RAD) and NetBeans for
years. Usually on the same projects. I have yet to prefer Eclipse.

Yet I would not predict that the OP would stay with NetBeans over Eclipse.

As to the second point, I have read many, many comments from people who prefer
Eclipse but go on to say that NetBeans is better for GUI development, often
with words like "admittedly" or "except for". I am interested in why you feel
one would "*have*" to go the Eclipse route.

I note that those who seem strongest in GUI development claim to prefer a text
editor to any GUI builder tool. They tend to comments like, "It has a great
GUI builder, but I prefer just to code the GUI in the editor."

I agree entirely with your comments IF (and only if) the developer is
limited to using free software. If the developer can afford a couple
hundred bucks for a tool that will bring high productivity, then I
disagree with your assessment. The tool that makes all the difference
in GUI building is this:

http://www.windowbuilderpro.com/

The state of free, OSS tools is such that no wonder people prefer 'vi'
or 'notepad'.
And by "GUI", do you mean "Swing"?

Nope. My comments stands, as the (one and only acceptable) tool for
GUI building is equally adept at Swing and SWT.

-Ramon

Mark Space

Ramon said:
I agree entirely with your comments IF (and only if) the developer is
limited to using free software. If the developer can afford a couple
hundred bucks for a tool that will bring high productivity, then I
disagree with your assessment. The tool that makes all the difference
in GUI building is this:

http://www.windowbuilderpro.com/

Could you give me two examples how that program far exceeds what is
available for free? Specific to Java, of course.
The state of free, OSS tools is such that no wonder people prefer 'vi'
or 'notepad'.

There's no way vi can match NetBeans.

My experience with pay-for tools is that you get a lot less than the
free components, plus the hassle of vendor-lock in.

Everything looks slick and great until you get half way into it with a
real project, then you find out where they cut corners and why some
other library critical to your project is inherently incompatible with
any real-world use of your pricey tool.