Newbie - Where Can I Get Examples To Learn From

Rob G

Hi All,

As I am completing the ASP.NET Developer's Jumpstart book, I find there are
many things I want to do that are not covered in the book (I don't expect it
to have everything).

I learn best when I "play" with an already working page and disect it. I
went to www.asp.net and they have many starter kits, but either they are
too complicated for me, don't work (I am sure it is me and not them) or not
what I am looking for. It is not a slam on that page at all, I think it is a
great resource.

Does anyone have some suggestion on example pages that I can learn from? Or
maybe a book?

Thanks.

-Rob

Grant

Hi Rob,

Are you new to ASP.NET in particular, or Web development in general?

IF you are new to Web development in general, then I'd suggest you start
with the basics - as taught in this wonderful e-book tutorial...
http://www.projectseven.com/books/foundationsmx/index.htm
You'll need Dreamweaver to do it, but if you are serious about learning Web
development fundamentals, then you'll like the control you get with
Dreamweaver. The e-book is NOT a Dreamweaver tutorial; rather it shows you
the fundamentals of solid Web page design (and walks you through everything
step-by-step using Dreamweaver). Highly recommended for any HTML/Web page
beginner.

IF you already know sound Web page design and HTML and are trying to get up
to speed on ASP.NET in particular, then I'd strongly recommend you stick
with the ASP.NET starter kits... specifically the Commerce application.
Learn what is all included in the tutorial package and take your time. It
will be well worth it. Learn how the documentation is organized and then
dive into the code - using the documentation as your tour guide.

Good Luck

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

As I am completing the ASP.NET Developer's Jumpstart book, I find there are
many things I want to do that are not covered in the book (I don't expect it
to have everything).

If you are familiar with Web development and just looking to learn
ASP.NET, I'd recommend:

ASP.NET Unleashed
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067232542X/4guysfromrollaco

ASP.NET KickStart
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672324768/4guysfromrollaco

Both are written by Stephen Walther.

There are also a number of Web sites with loads of great, free information:

http://www.asp.net
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com
http://www.aspalliance.com
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com
http://msdn.microsoft.com/aspnet

And many others...

Hope this helps!

--

Scott Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)

Rob G

Grant and Scott,

Thank you both for the great information. It will really get me started.

-Rob