Newbie - Where Can I Get Examples To Learn From

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob G, May 19, 2004.

  1. Rob G

    Rob G Guest

    Hi All,

    As I am completing the ASP.NET Developer's Jumpstart book, I find there are
    many things I want to do that are not covered in the book (I don't expect it
    to have everything).

    I learn best when I "play" with an already working page and disect it. I
    went to www.asp.net and they have many starter kits, but either they are
    too complicated for me, don't work (I am sure it is me and not them) or not
    what I am looking for. It is not a slam on that page at all, I think it is a
    great resource.

    Does anyone have some suggestion on example pages that I can learn from? Or
    maybe a book?

    Thanks.

    -Rob
    Rob G, May 19, 2004

  2. Rob G

    Grant Guest

    Hi Rob,

    Are you new to ASP.NET in particular, or Web development in general?

    IF you are new to Web development in general, then I'd suggest you start
    with the basics - as taught in this wonderful e-book tutorial...
    http://www.projectseven.com/books/foundationsmx/index.htm
    You'll need Dreamweaver to do it, but if you are serious about learning Web
    development fundamentals, then you'll like the control you get with
    Dreamweaver. The e-book is NOT a Dreamweaver tutorial; rather it shows you
    the fundamentals of solid Web page design (and walks you through everything
    step-by-step using Dreamweaver). Highly recommended for any HTML/Web page
    beginner.

    IF you already know sound Web page design and HTML and are trying to get up
    to speed on ASP.NET in particular, then I'd strongly recommend you stick
    with the ASP.NET starter kits... specifically the Commerce application.
    Learn what is all included in the tutorial package and take your time. It
    will be well worth it. Learn how the documentation is organized and then
    dive into the code - using the documentation as your tour guide.

    Good Luck

    Grant, May 19, 2004

  3. > As I am completing the ASP.NET Developer's Jumpstart book, I find there are
    > many things I want to do that are not covered in the book (I don't expect it
    > to have everything).

    If you are familiar with Web development and just looking to learn
    ASP.NET, I'd recommend:

    ASP.NET Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067232542X/4guysfromrollaco

    ASP.NET KickStart
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672324768/4guysfromrollaco

    Both are written by Stephen Walther.

    There are also a number of Web sites with loads of great, free information:

    http://www.asp.net
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com
    http://www.aspalliance.com
    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/aspnet

    And many others...

    Hope this helps!

    --

    Scott Mitchell

    http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com
    http://www.ASPFAQs.com
    http://www.ASPMessageboard.com

    Scott Mitchell [MVP], May 19, 2004
  4. Rob G

    Rob G Guest

    Grant and Scott,

    Thank you both for the great information. It will really get me started.

    -Rob

    Rob G, May 20, 2004
  5. The .Net SDK is free from Microsoft:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en