Newbie: Why 'UnsatisfiedLinkError & Access is denied' over network drive?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Rachel, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Rachel

    Rachel Guest

    Hi,

    I have 2 jar files (packageA.jar & packageB.jar) + 1 DLL (used by
    packageB.jar) in the follow hierarchy:

    folder1/app/packageA.jar (with main-class packA.classA)
    folder1/app/dllC.DLL
    folder1/lib/packageB.jar (classes packaged in packB)

    folder1/app/run.bat has the following:
    java -Djava.library.path=. -classpath
    ...;.;../lib/packageB.jar;../app/packageA.jar packA.classA

    1. When folder 1 is located in a local drive, the program runs successfully.

    2. But when folder1 is located in a network drive, I get the following
    ERROR:
    Z:\folder1\app>java -Djava.library.path=. -classpath
    ...;.;../lib/packageB.jar;../app/packageA.jar packA.classA
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Z:\folder1\app\dllC.DLL: Access is denied:
    Check that native library dllC is in proper directory
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: GetVoice
    at packB.Voice.GetVoice(Native Method)
    at packB.Voice.GetVoiceList(VoiceLocal.java:1003)
    at packA.Display.<init>(DisplayApp.java:31)
    at packA.Display.main(DisplayApp.java:60)

    3. Then I changing my run.bat to the following & ran from Z and it WORKS!:
    Z:\folder1\app>java -Djava.library.path="C:/folder1/app" -classpath
    ...;.;../lib/packageB.jar;../app/packageA.jar packA.classA

    Why is it so that my application fails to run when I try to invoke it from
    Z? Is it because DLLs cannot be loaded from network drives? Why does it say
    Access is denied? Is there some permission that I need to set on Z drive?

    Thanks much,
    Rach

    Rachel, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Rachel

    Rach Guest

    >> 2. But when folder1 is located in a network drive, I get the
    following
    >> ERROR:
    >> Z:\folder1\app>java -Djava.library.path=. -classpath
    >> ..;.;../lib/packageB.jar;../app/packageA.jar packA.classA
    >> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Z:\folder1\app\dllC.DLL: Access is

    denied:
    >> Check that native library dllC is in proper directory
    >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: GetVoice
    >> at packB.Voice.GetVoice(Native Method)
    >> at packB.Voice.GetVoiceList(VoiceLocal.java:1003)
    >> at packA.Display.<init>(DisplayApp.java:31)
    >> at packA.Display.main(DisplayApp.java:60)

    > As long as you have at least read access to the share, it should
    > work. For example, if you copy the JVM to a network drive, it
    > works just fine and has no trouble finding its own native
    > libraries and using them.

    Got it working now. Seems like the file permission for that DDL is set
    to r--. Changing the DDL's file permission to r-x solves this problem
    :)

    -Rach-

    Rach, Aug 6, 2003