Newbie, Wikipedia

SharkD

Hi!

I'm a total newbie when it comes to ASP (or any type of server-side
programming).

I want to start a project that does the following:

1. query Wikipedia for information regarding articles using the
DotNetWikiBot C# framework (http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/);
2. process the queries and build and serve HTML tables based on the
results.

I just signed up with http://www.asphost4free.com today. They only
support regular ASP by default, but there is a beta program for those
wishing to try ASP.NET.

First of all, is what I am hoping to do accomplishable in regular
ASP,
or do I need to sign up for the beta? Can it be accomplished in
ASP.NET at all?

I am hoping someone here can provide some newbie advice on how to
accomplish this. Thanks!

-Mike

Old Pedant

SharkD said:
1. query Wikipedia for information regarding articles using the
DotNetWikiBot C# framework (http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/);
2. process the queries and build and serve HTML tables based on the
results.

First of all, is what I am hoping to do accomplishable in regular
ASP,

I don't see how a C# framework is at all applicable to ASP. It is *ONLY*
for ASP.NET.
Can it be accomplished in ASP.NET at all?

Ummm...I think, *if* you use *that* methodology, then it can *ONLY* be
accomplished in ASP.NET.

**************

Unless you are a starving student, you might consider getting a paid hosting
account. GoDaddy has ASP.NET available for under $5 a month.
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?app_hdr=&ci=5652
click on the "compare windows plans" tab for what you get at that price.
(Don't let them sell you any of the unnecessary add-ons, though.)

SharkD

I don't see how a C# framework is at all applicable to ASP.  It is *ONLY*
for ASP.NET.

Ummm...I think, *if* you use *that* methodology, then it can *ONLY* be
accomplished in ASP.NET.

**************

Unless you are a starving student, you might consider getting a paid hosting
account.  GoDaddy has ASP.NET available for under $5 a month.https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?app_hdr=&ci=5652
click on the "compare windows plans" tab for what you get at that price.
(Don't let them sell you any of the unnecessary add-ons, though.)

*OK*, *thanks*.

SharkD

Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
access except for paid accounts.

-Mike

Evertjan.

SharkD wrote on 05 sep 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
access except for paid accounts.

[please always quote on usenet]

This is a classic asp group.
Dotnet questions should be asked in
<microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet>

Mike Brind [MVP]

SharkD said:
Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
access except for paid accounts.

-Mike

www.asp.net/learn

That site also has forums, where you can ask any more questions you may have
on ASP.NET, as Evertjan suggested.