Newbie, Wikipedia

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by SharkD, Sep 4, 2008.

  1. SharkD

    SharkD Guest

    Hi!

    I'm a total newbie when it comes to ASP (or any type of server-side
    programming).

    I want to start a project that does the following:

    1. query Wikipedia for information regarding articles using the
    DotNetWikiBot C# framework (http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/);
    2. process the queries and build and serve HTML tables based on the
    results.

    I just signed up with http://www.asphost4free.com today. They only
    support regular ASP by default, but there is a beta program for those
    wishing to try ASP.NET.

    First of all, is what I am hoping to do accomplishable in regular
    ASP,
    or do I need to sign up for the beta? Can it be accomplished in
    ASP.NET at all?

    I am hoping someone here can provide some newbie advice on how to
    accomplish this. Thanks!

    -Mike
    SharkD, Sep 4, 2008

  2. SharkD

    Old Pedant Guest

    "SharkD" wrote:

    > 1. query Wikipedia for information regarding articles using the
    > DotNetWikiBot C# framework (http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/);
    > 2. process the queries and build and serve HTML tables based on the
    > results.
    >
    > First of all, is what I am hoping to do accomplishable in regular
    > ASP,

    I don't see how a C# framework is at all applicable to ASP. It is *ONLY*
    for ASP.NET.

    > Can it be accomplished in ASP.NET at all?

    Ummm...I think, *if* you use *that* methodology, then it can *ONLY* be
    accomplished in ASP.NET.

    **************

    Unless you are a starving student, you might consider getting a paid hosting
    account. GoDaddy has ASP.NET available for under $5 a month.
    https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?app_hdr=&ci=5652
    click on the "compare windows plans" tab for what you get at that price.
    (Don't let them sell you any of the unnecessary add-ons, though.)
    Old Pedant, Sep 4, 2008

  3. SharkD

    SharkD Guest

    On Sep 4, 2:26 pm, Old Pedant <>
    wrote:
    > "SharkD" wrote:
    > > 1. query Wikipedia for information regarding articles using the
    > > DotNetWikiBot C# framework (http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/);
    > > 2. process the queries and build and serve HTML tables based on the
    > > results.

    > > First of all, is what I am hoping to do accomplishable in regular
    > > ASP,

    > I don't see how a C# framework is at all applicable to ASP.  It is *ONLY*
    > for ASP.NET.
    >
    > > Can it be accomplished in ASP.NET at all?

    > Ummm...I think, *if* you use *that* methodology, then it can *ONLY* be
    > accomplished in ASP.NET.
    >
    > **************
    >
    > Unless you are a starving student, you might consider getting a paid hosting
    > account.  GoDaddy has ASP.NET available for under $5 a month.https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?app_hdr=&ci=5652
    > click on the "compare windows plans" tab for what you get at that price.
    > (Don't let them sell you any of the unnecessary add-ons, though.)

    *OK*, *thanks*.
    SharkD, Sep 5, 2008
  4. SharkD

    SharkD Guest

    Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
    have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
    ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
    access except for paid accounts.

    -Mike
    SharkD, Sep 5, 2008
  5. SharkD

    Evertjan. Guest

    SharkD wrote on 05 sep 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
    > have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
    > ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
    > access except for paid accounts.

    [please always quote on usenet]

    This is a classic asp group.
    Dotnet questions should be asked in
    <microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Sep 5, 2008
  6. "SharkD" <> wrote in message
    > Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
    > have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
    > ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
    > access except for paid accounts.
    >
    > -Mike

    www.asp.net/learn

    That site also has forums, where you can ask any more questions you may have
    on ASP.NET, as Evertjan suggested.

    --
    Mike Brind
    MVP - ASP/ASP.NET