newbie: writing "includes" in HTML

Dan Blather

Hi,

i'm useing 2 servers to host my site, one is a "backup" in case the other
fails, or to handle overflow bandwidth.
I want to create a little ID tag to implant at the bottom of my home page to
let me know which server I am logging in to with my browser.

i thought that using php or javascript i could create a simple little
"document.write" statment, ID'ing the server that I could call from the
bottom of the web-page, either with a simple <script src ...> javascript
tag. I tried it with Javascript, but I got a bizarre message "code
corrupted. Insert fresh copy" written into the bottom of the web page (which
I have NEVER gotten using Javascript before, usually the browser debugger
does the reporting!)

if anyone could coach me on how to use a simple PHP include statement (i
assume i could hide the php statement with the server ID tag in my
cgi-bin?), I would certainly appreciate it...

thanks,

Phil

Adrienne

Hi,

i'm useing 2 servers to host my site, one is a "backup" in case the
other fails, or to handle overflow bandwidth.
I want to create a little ID tag to implant at the bottom of my home
page to let me know which server I am logging in to with my browser.

i thought that using php or javascript i could create a simple little
"document.write" statment, ID'ing the server that I could call from the
bottom of the web-page, either with a simple <script src ...>
javascript tag. I tried it with Javascript, but I got a bizarre
message "code corrupted. Insert fresh copy" written into the bottom of
the web page (which I have NEVER gotten using Javascript before,
usually the browser debugger does the reporting!)

You actually want server side, not client side, and you want to look at the
server collection, specifically SERVER_NAME.

<?php echo $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"] ?>

Mark

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Dan Blather" <[email protected]>
writing in
[...]

Alternatively, you might add the following SSI statment:

This will echo the IP address of the server. I have placed it inside a
white paragraph to sort of hide it (but not very well: you can still
select it and see what it says).

SSI is not necessarily enabled on your server, and usually, though not
always, requires you to change your page's extension from .html to
..shtml to signal to the server that it may need to do something with the
page.

Mark

Dan Blather

thanks for the replies. i tried Adrienne's solution (had to rename the
extension ".php") ... and all I got was my domain name, but nothing to
uniquely ID the server (same domain is hosted on 2 servers).

Tried Mark's alternative and only got "IP:" in white, same when I used the
".php" extension.

Phil

Mark said:
Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Dan Blather said:
[...]

Els

Dan said:
thanks for the replies. i tried Adrienne's solution (had to rename the
extension ".php") ... and all I got was my domain name, but nothing to
uniquely ID the server (same domain is hosted on 2 servers).

Tried Mark's alternative and only got "IP:" in white, same when I used the
".php" extension.

Well, combine the two ;-)

<?php echo $_SERVER["SERVER_ADDR"] ?>

Should return the IP address.
(needs .php extension)

Mark

Adrienne said:
[...]

Try this

SSI Solution:

Make sure that SSI is enabled on your server.
Name your file something.shtml

PHP Solution:

Name your file something.php
<?php
$ip = gethostbyname ($SERVER_NAME);
?>

If that still doesn't work, what server/platform are you running? Is it
configured to do the above, or at least, can you configure it?

Mark