newbie: xfer files between machines

bill turner

Hi All,

I am not a complete newbie, but do not have enough knowledge to know
the "best" way to handle the following. Your suggestions are truly
appreciated.

The client has an existing legacy system. Large data files are
created. They want these to be transferred from one server to another
where they will be processed at a later time. They intend to send a
notification that includes the file name and size (is any other info
that is useful) to indicate that a feel is ready for downloading. They
do not want to change the structure of the file, so breaking out each
record into xml is not really an option. I think the file will be
compressed, not that should really matter. I thought that the
notification could be sent via an http request that would then trigger
an rmi call to upload the designated file. They want this to be highly
reliable and essentially a guaranteed delivery. Is my strategy wise?
They are not using an app server presently, though may be willing to
use one. They are a brand new java shop and this is the very first
steps in their very first java based project. I don't really need
detailed explanations, just suggestions on which technologies to use
and keeping it simple. I'll do all necessary research and only ask
questions if necessary.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

bill

ossie.moore

bill said:
[...]

Knute Johnson

bill said:
[...]

You want it simple and you want it to work. Just write a client that
connects to a server on the destination machine and send the data down a
stream. You don't need anything fancy.

Roedy Green

Your help is greatly appreciated!

If the two servers are connected, even temporarily by a lan, you can
do this much faster with a file copy and some batch code to reformat
the files.

bill turner

If the two servers are connected, even temporarily by a lan, you can
do this much faster with a file copy and some batch code to reformat
the files.

You mean just use shell scripting such as using ssh?
Bill Turner

A faith that the free play of market forces will eventually end in Good is, in fact, more 'absurd' than religious belief, for there, at least, there is a presumption of an intelligent Agent Who writes straight with His crooked lines. - William Pfaff

Views expressed are entirely my own and only coincidentally represent those of other persons or entities.

Roedy Green

You mean just use shell scripting such as using ssh?

In Windows terms I was thinking of something like

xcopy C:\treeofstuff\ H:\treeofstuff
where H: is mapped to some other machine on the lan.

I am presuming you have some sort of NFS between your lan-connected
servers.

Another thing to look into is RSYNC. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/rsync.html