newbie: XML-based message protocol over TCP?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Mark, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi, I'm just starting to learn about XML. We have a system that sends
    message (subject-observer model) between a sensor (subject) and multiple
    operator monitoring terminals (observers). Currently they communicate using
    a custom built protocol that works well but has several shortcomings. The
    sensor listens for TCP connections from the operator consoles, and once a
    TCP connection is established it remains until the operator terminal
    disconnects.

    I'm considering moving this custom protocol to an XML-based protocol. I'm
    not sure though how XML messages would be encoded and sent over TCP. Most
    of the XML protocols I've seen use HTTP rather than directly over TCP, which
    seems to be unnecessary overhead for our application. I've also done some
    reading about XML-RPC, but our system is not request-response based.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Are there examples of protocols
    that send simple XML messages over a TCP stream? Are there common ways of
    framing/delimiting individual messages?

    I'm very new to XML, so any suggestions are appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Mark

    john farrow Guest

    Have a look at http://www.jabber.org/, this uses XML protocols over TCP and
    has documentation on the XML message formatting.

    Visual Programming Ltd mail PO Box 22-222, Khandallah, Wellington, New
    Zealand site Level 2, 2 Ganges Road, Khandallah, Wellington, New Zealand
    phone +64 4 479 1738 fax +64 4 479 1294 web http://www.xmlpdf.com

    john farrow, Aug 29, 2004