Newbie's queries on wps and WebSphere Portal Server

eclifeww

Hi all,

Please forgive me if I have posted to an inappropriate group.

I am new in the J2EE and hence in the WebSphere Portal Server.

I am confused when working with the admin console and would like your
kindly help.

In the admin console, I select Application choice, it shows two
entries, namely WebSphere Portal Server server1. What is the
relationship between the WebSphere Application Server (WAS) and the
WebSphere Portal Server (WPS), is the WPS a EAR running in the WAS?

In selecting Enterprise Application, there are many installed
applications. I expected they are EAR installed. Am I correct? There is
one called wps. What is the relationship between this wps and the
WebSphere Portal Server?

Moreover, when I tried to installed a HelloWorld war through the
Portlet deployment GUI, a Hello_xxx entry is added in the table of
selecting Enterprise Application. I am installed a war, why it is shown
as an EAR in the console?

Please englighten me or direct me to any materials.
Thanks in advance for your ideas and inputs.

Earth

soumendra.singh

Hello Mr. Earth,

Websphere Portal Server(WPS) works on Websphere Application
Server(WAS). Therefore, WPS is deployed on WAS.

You have rightly pointed out that you find the entry "server1". This
represent the WAS. And the WebSpherePortal represents WPS deployed upon
WAS.

So for running WPS in its default port(9081), you don't have to
necessarily make the server1(WAS running). But WPS must be started by
the "startserver WebServerportal" .

Now for running any portlet in WPS, you need to install the WAR file of
the portlet through the WPS admin console and add the respective
portlet to any page to view it.

You can also update the portlet from the WPS Admin console, whenever
you want to view the changes, which you make to your PORTLET during
development.