newby Q about using Google Maps with ASP.Net 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sam Carleton, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    Ok, over the years I have read about doing web programing and I have
    done some real basic stuff. Now I am digging into some real ASP.Net
    2.0 and am totally lost some things.

    I have a master page setup and that is working great. On my contact
    page I would like to use Google Maps API Version 2 to show a map to my
    location. Below is the first Google example.

    I would like to add this to my aspx page that is using the master page.
    I don't understand how to link to the google JS nor how exactly to
    add the inline JS load() method to the .aspx page. Any suggestions?

    <head>
    charset=utf-8"/>
    <title>Google Maps JavaScript API Example</title>
    <script
    src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&amp;v=2&amp;key=abcdefg"
    type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    //<![CDATA[

    function load() {
    if (GBrowserIsCompatible()) {
    var map = new GMap2(document.getElementById("map"));
    map.setCenter(new GLatLng(37.4419, -122.1419), 13);

    //]]>
    </script>
    </head>

    Sam Carleton, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Copy everthing from the "<script" to the "/script>" and paste it into the
    <head> portion of the HTML in your ASP.Net page (between the "<head>" and
    "</head>" tags). And do yourself a favor and learn something about HTML. All
    ASP.Net does is render HTML to a browser from the server (all that you need
    to know about it right now, that is). If you don't understand HTML, and then
    JavaScript, you will *never* understand ASP.Net. HTML is easy. It's just a
    markup language Programming is hard. Start with the easy part.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Professional Chicken Salad Alchemist

    I recycle.
    I send everything back to the planet it came from.

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Sam Carleton

    Jacob Guest

    Try using Google Maps control from this site:
    http://www.reimers.dk/

    Jacob, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    Kevin Spencer wrote:
    > Copy everthing from the "<script" to the "/script>" and paste it into the
    > <head> portion of the HTML in your ASP.Net page (between the "<head>" and
    > "</head>" tags). And do yourself a favor and learn something about HTML. All
    > ASP.Net does is render HTML to a browser from the server (all that you need
    > to know about it right now, that is). If you don't understand HTML, and then
    > JavaScript, you will *never* understand ASP.Net. HTML is easy. It's just a
    > markup language Programming is hard. Start with the easy part.

    Kevin,

    First off, I am a professionally software developer, all my experence
    is in Windows Development (C/C++/C#). I do know HTML, on a scale of 1
    to 5, I would guess it is around a 3, maybe a 4. My JS skill is around
    a 3. But when it comes to ASP.Net 2.0, I know it about a 1 out of 5.
    That is where I am a newbe, ASP.Net 2.0.

    I looked at my contact.aspx page, *which is using a master page*, and
    there is not <head></head>, only the two different <asp:Contect> tags
    to fill in the Content section from the Master page. I get the
    impression that there is away to add the inline JS, the link to the JS
    on google's web site, and the onload/onunload to the contact.aspx page,
    but that it is none standard. (by the way, this is what has always
    thrown me off about web development frameworks, each one does it's own
    unquie thing to implement basic HTML).

    Maybe there is simply a good section in the MSDN I should have alook at
    that will explain this type of thing, when using master pages.

    Sam

    Sam Carleton, Jun 21, 2006
  5. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    Jacob wrote:
    > Try using Google Maps control from this site:
    > http://www.reimers.dk/

    That is great, but... I would like to *UNDERSTAND* how to do it
    myself, the source code to the control at that link is not available:(

    Sam

    Sam Carleton, Jun 21, 2006
  6. Sam Carleton

    Jacob Guest

    Google recommends placing the script in the head and then running it
    from the body's onload event. This is done to overcome what is
    generally known as the "IE Operation Aborted problem", meaning that IE
    won't allow you to change the contents of a tag before it's finished

    In master pages you could conceivably add the script to the head
    programatically, but another solution would be to add the script
    anywhere on the page and make use of the defer attribute. There is no
    law of nature saying that the script has to be placed in the head.

    Jacob, Jun 21, 2006
  7. In our master page, we put a contentplaceholder tag between the HTML head
    tags, then we stuff the scripts in there. Also, if you build a server
    control, you can set up the scripts as a resource and override the OnLoad
    like this:

    Type t = this.GetType();
    String js = "MyNameSpace.WebControls.MyJavaScript.js";
    String url = Page.ClientScript.GetWebResourceUrl(t, js);
    Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptInclude(t, js, url);

    base.OnLoad(e);
    }

    The nice thing about this is it packages it in your dll. Hope this helps.

    Diane

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlhbmUgRHJvdWJheQ==?=, Jul 12, 2006