    and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How can this be done?
    Thanks!

    Kevin

    Guest, Sep 7, 2003

  2. wrote:
    > I have created a table from my CGI program with data coming from
    > Postgres and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How
    > can this be done?

    CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...

    Do you have a Perl question?

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 7, 2003

    Amir Kadic Guest

    wrote:

    > I have created a table from my CGI program with data coming from Postgres
    > and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How can this be
    > done? Thanks!
    >
    > Kevin

    An old excel format (still recognized by newer versions)
    uses newlines to separate rows and tabs to separate columns.

    Thus, you may want to write something like:

    print join ("\t", @attributes),"\n";

    to display a row.

    HTH
    Amir

    Amir Kadic, Sep 8, 2003

    Cyde Weys Guest

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

    > wrote:

    > CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...
    >
    > Do you have a Perl question?

    Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption I
    garnered from his post, anyway).

    Cyde Weys, Sep 8, 2003

    Guest Guest

    "Cyde Weys" <> wrote in message
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:

    > > CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...
    > >
    > > Do you have a Perl question?

    > Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption I
    > garnered from his post, anyway).

    I want to do it in Perl.

    Guest, Sep 8, 2003
  6. Cyde Weys wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >> CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...
    >>
    >> Do you have a Perl question?

    > Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption
    > I garnered from his post, anyway).

    Really? :) The reason why I pretended not to 'understand' is that
    OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made any own
    attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for 'Excel' at
    search.cpan.org...

    Maybe that's just me, but I think it's reasonable to expect some own
    effort before asking for help here.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 8, 2003

    Trent Curry Guest

    "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <> wrote in message
    > Cyde Weys wrote:
    > > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    > >> CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...
    > >>
    > >> Do you have a Perl question?

    > > Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption
    > > I garnered from his post, anyway).

    > Really? :) The reason why I pretended not to 'understand' is that
    > OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made any own
    > attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for 'Excel' at
    > search.cpan.org...

    Well, he is posting this in a Perl group, so one could assume he meant in
    Perl. As for weather or not he did any prior homework, well I think its a
    bit inconclusive.

    > Maybe that's just me, but I think it's reasonable to expect some own
    > effort before asking for help here.

    How do we know this isn't his last desperate attempt? This doesn't seem like
    something trivial and while Excel itself may be off topic, there could be
    something in Perl that can be of some relation, say creating a tab delimited
    file that can be easily made into an Excel spread sheet. But that would not
    make it directly related, and may not be what the OP is looking for.

    Trent Curry, Sep 8, 2003
  8. Trent Curry wrote:
    > "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <> wrote in message
    >> OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made
    >> any own attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for
    >> 'Excel' at search.cpan.org...

    > ... weather or not he did any prior homework, well I think its a
    > bit inconclusive.

    <snip>

    > How do we know this isn't his last desperate attempt? This doesn't
    > seem like something trivial and while Excel itself may be off
    > topic, there could be something in Perl that can be of some
    > relation,

    There sure is. If he had made just a little effort to look for it (see
    above), he would have found it. And if the difficulties had been about
    how to make use of an adequate module, he would at least have
    mentioned it.

    "Last" attempt? Don't think so.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 8, 2003

    > Trent Curry wrote:
    > > "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <> wrote in message
    > >> OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made
    > >> any own attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for
    > >> 'Excel' at search.cpan.org...

    > > ... weather or not he did any prior homework, well I think its a
    > > bit inconclusive.

    > <snip>

    My mistake. Running a quick query @ search.cpan.org yields a sizable list of
    results ;p

    > > How do we know this isn't his last desperate attempt? This doesn't
    > > seem like something trivial and while Excel itself may be off
    > > topic, there could be something in Perl that can be of some
    > > relation,

    > There sure is. If he had made just a little effort to look for it (see
    > above), he would have found it. And if the difficulties had been about
    > how to make use of an adequate module, he would at least have
    > mentioned it.

    I stand corrected.

    > "Last" attempt? Don't think so.

    No arg there. I completely over looked the reference cpan in your post. I
    was sort of assuming he had been there and didn't think anything of it.
    Thanks for correcting that :)

    Trent Curry, Sep 8, 2003