Newby Question: Displaying Excel from within my CGI

Guest

I have created a table from my CGI program with data coming from Postgres
and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How can this be done?
Thanks!

Kevin

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

I have created a table from my CGI program with data coming from
Postgres and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How
can this be done?

CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...

Do you have a Perl question?

Amir Kadic

I have created a table from my CGI program with data coming from Postgres
and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How can this be
done? Thanks!

Kevin

An old excel format (still recognized by newer versions)
uses newlines to separate rows and tabs to separate columns.

Thus, you may want to write something like:

print join ("\t", @attributes),"\n";

to display a row.

HTH
Amir

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Cyde said:
Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption
I garnered from his post, anyway).

Really? :) The reason why I pretended not to 'understand' is that
OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made any own
attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for 'Excel' at
search.cpan.org...

Maybe that's just me, but I think it's reasonable to expect some own
effort before asking for help here.

Trent Curry

Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:
Really? :) The reason why I pretended not to 'understand' is that
OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made any own
attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for 'Excel' at
search.cpan.org...

Well, he is posting this in a Perl group, so one could assume he meant in
Perl. As for weather or not he did any prior homework, well I think its a
bit inconclusive.
Maybe that's just me, but I think it's reasonable to expect some own
effort before asking for help here.

How do we know this isn't his last desperate attempt? This doesn't seem like
something trivial and while Excel itself may be off topic, there could be
something in Perl that can be of some relation, say creating a tab delimited
file that can be easily made into an Excel spread sheet. But that would not
make it directly related, and may not be what the OP is looking for.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Trent said:
... weather or not he did any prior homework, well I think its a
bit inconclusive.

How do we know this isn't his last desperate attempt? This doesn't
seem like something trivial and while Excel itself may be off
topic, there could be something in Perl that can be of some
relation,

There sure is. If he had made just a little effort to look for it (see
above), he would have found it. And if the difficulties had been about
how to make use of an adequate module, he would at least have
mentioned it.

"Last" attempt? Don't think so.

Trent Curry

Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:

My mistake. Running a quick query @ search.cpan.org yields a sizable list of
results ;p
There sure is. If he had made just a little effort to look for it (see
above), he would have found it. And if the difficulties had been about
how to make use of an adequate module, he would at least have
mentioned it.

I stand corrected.
"Last" attempt? Don't think so.

No arg there. I completely over looked the reference cpan in your post. I
was sort of assuming he had been there and didn't think anything of it.
Thanks for correcting that :)