newby wants to maximise

WindAndWaves

Hi Gurus

I am a newbie....

and I was wondering if it is possible to maximise a screen in javascript.

right now, I use this code:

A HREF="heritage.html" onClick="msgWindow=window.open
('heritage.html','fullWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=
no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=830,height=630'); return
false" onmouseover="window.status='open site in full screen'; return true"
CLASS=TP>open full screen</A>

, but I was wondering if we can fill the entire screen?

Tia

- Nicolaas

kaeli

Hi Gurus

I am a newbie....

and I was wondering if it is possible to maximise a screen in javascript.

Can you?
Usually.

Should you?
Absolutely not.
Very user-unfriendly. Most of your visitors will hate you and not come back.
Let them control their browser.

Those of us who use tabbed browsers will REALLY hate you. ;)
You're not just maximizing one window, but all of them.
IE is not the only browser in the world. *grins*

David Dorward

WindAndWaves said:
and I was wondering if it is possible to maximise a screen in javascript.

My desktop is 3000x1200 pixels. Having a browser window that size is insane.
You are better off providing a regular link to a document and designing
that document so it will flow to fit the window size that the user thinks
suits their desktop.

<http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign>

WindAndWaves

I love the way you ask a question and everyone tells you not to do it.

I have my reasons - ok - you just do not know them ;-).

It is actually for a button that people can click on that says: "full
screen"

Make sense???

Thank you,

PS still keen to hear the answer.

Richard Cornford

WindAndWaves said:
I love the way you ask a question and everyone tells you
not to do it.

No individual finds it easy to see the world through the eyes of others
(and certainly without being interested in what those others have to say
about their perceptions of the world). If you don't perceive doing
something that is commonly expressed as undesirable as being a bad idea
then it should be of benefit to you to have your horizons widened by
being told about the common perception of your proposed action. You may
not care in the slightest for the opinions of your users, but you will
be better informed.
I have my reasons - ok - you just do not know them ;-).

If you don't present the information pertinent to your question with
your questions it will remain unknown and not be considered by the
people answering it. If you then attribute the answers you don't like to
the absence of pertinent information form your post you should be able
to recognise that the fault is yours, and how to correct it.

You should also bear in mind that you have just announced that you have
wasted the time of everyone who took the trouble to answer you. Becoming
known for being a time waster will not promote fruitful interaction with
this group.
It is actually for a button that people can click on
that says: "full screen"

Is there an operating system in existence that does not present a button
(and other means) for just that task on every window (at least an OS
that uses sizeable windows)?
Make sense???

Not really. It is re-inventing the wheel, and in a form that will be
unfamiliar to the user and only available in a context alongside a
familiar alternative.
Thank you,

You are welcome.
PS still keen to hear the answer.

From a button on an HTML page it is not possible to put an existing
browser into full-screen/kiosk mode. Some
browsers/browser-configurations will allow the re-sizing of the window
to fake an approximation of a "maximised" window, but it is problematic
to determine what the actual size of the desktop is, whether it makes
sense to re-size the window (especially in tabbed and MDI browsers) or
even whether the OS recognises the concepts of desktop or window. Any
implementation stands a realistic chance of offering the user
functionality that cannot be delivered by the script, and may not make
sense anyway. And doing so in a context where a better (and easily
recognised) alternative will likely already be available to the user. An
effort to re-invent a wheel, with a predictably square outcome.
<snip>

Please do not top-post to comp.lang.javascirpt. See the group's FAQ:-

Richard.

Michael Winter

I love the way you ask a question and everyone tells you not to do it.

That's because if someone responds with something like:

You really shouldn't do that.

<List of really good reasons why>

But, if you still want to do it, here's how:

<Instructions>

Most people will ignore the list of reasons and just do it, no matter how
impractical or ill-advised.

This group is not a help desk. It's purpose isn't just to hand out
ready-made scripts for people to use. It's to discuss the various possible
approaches and their implications. If there's no problem with what the OP
wants, this usually does result in a ready-made script (or useful tips).
If there is a problem, you'll get a discussion instead.
I have my reasons - ok - you just do not know them ;-).

If they're sensible reasons, then include them. Many people ask for things
that would be unwise for deployment on the Web, but they actually have no
intention of doing that. Instead, they might want the information for
personal, or Intranet, use where the technique is perfectly acceptable.
It is actually for a button that people can click on that says: "full
screen"

I have a button on my browser (all three of them, actually) that does that.

[snipped quote]

Mike

kaeli

I love the way you ask a question and everyone tells you not to do it.

If you asked how to kill a cat in a cat group, would you expect anything
else? ;)
I have my reasons - ok - you just do not know them ;-).

It is actually for a button that people can click on that says: "full
screen"

Big difference between maximize and full-screen. Full-screen removes buttons,
toolbars, and whatnot and hides my taskbar (great for DVD/movie viewing, but
not much else). Maximize does not.
My browser already has buttons for both.
You cannot full-screen an already open window AFAIK. Thank god.
You can attempt to maximize by checking resolution and resizing the window to
that, but Netscape, Mozilla, and Opera all have optional script blockers to
prevent the resize of an existing window, so some users may click on it and
have nothing happen.

Why you want to duplicate something the browser already has buttons AND keys
for is beyond me.

Check the archives for the screen resolution. Screen res is not cross
browser. NN and IE do it different. The question has been answered 1600
times, so I'll leave it up to you to search Google.
Resize is just window.resizeTo(x,y).