    John Kearney Guest

    I am a newcomer to programming and wish to explore ruby. Can anyone recomend
    a book for this purpose.
    John Kearney, Sep 2, 2009

  2. John Kearney

    Marc Heiler Guest

    Marc Heiler, Sep 2, 2009

  3. John Kearney

    7stud -- Guest

    John Kearney wrote:
    > I am a newcomer to programming and wish to explore ruby. Can anyone
    > recomend
    > a book for this purpose.

    I think you have to buy "the pickaxe" for the language reference, which
    is about 1/3 of the book. For a good tutorial, I would recommend
    "Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional(2nd ed)".

    7stud --, Sep 3, 2009

    For learning the Ruby language I'd have to go with David A. Black's "The
    Well-Grounded Rubyist".

    (
    http://www.amazon.com/Well-Grounded...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251934401&sr=8-1)

    Chris Dempsey, Sep 3, 2009
  5. John Kearney

    Mason Kelsey Guest

    In spite of its flaws, I also recommend "Beginning Ruby". I have a copy and
    am using it to learn Ruby after wandering off in left field with "why the
    lucky stiff"s online introduction that was entertaining but left a lot of
    explaining missing. Walk through your code, guys, as you are explaining how
    things work!!!

    There are several weaknesses to Peter Cooper's book. The book has a slight
    bias for the UNIX environment. I work on Windows XP, so that was an issue
    for me. The $stdin.gets is not explained. Because of the enormous number
    of topics, you get a feeling of being rushed and that a lot is being left
    out because of a need to scope in. I felt that in Chapter 12 that Peter
    could have tied things together better than he did. What calls what and how
    his Eliza look alike all hangs together. Important details are left out,
    such as what is happening in "class TestWordPlay < Test::Unit::TestCase" on
    p. 316. Yes, he mentions that you are establishing a hierarchy between a
    new class TestWordPlay" and Ruby system classes Test::Unit, (to use the
    assist methods), and TestCase in an earlier part of the book, but it would
    be nice to have reminded the student of that. It would have been nice to
    have some reference to "regulare expressions" outside of the book. If you
    go to Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression, you find
    code characters such as the "^" that mean something entirely different than
    how it is used in Ruby. Here is a web site to test any Ruby regular
    expression you write, http://www.rubyxp.com/ I felt that the chapter 8 on
    Error Handling had poor examples. And I wish that authors could avoid "foo"
    in every book they write as it is never clear to a beginner if that means
    something special and the joke is dead. Catching and throwing are not
    clearly explained on page 187. Too rushed. The author needs to walk the
    reader through each line of code and explain what is happening, instruction
    by instruction. The book talks about escapting out of a block but the
    example is not IN a block with code outside of it to show the logic flow
    properly. Would be nice to have a chapter on queues, heaps, stacks, and
    dequeues. Maybe applied to searching a binary tree. While Part 3 is
    interesting, I will be picking up a separate book on Ruby on Rails to learn
    that. So 62 pages could have been saved there to make room for that
    essential but missing chapter on Ruby data structures. Chapter 15 on
    Networking, Sockets, and Daemons....scream!...overload! Put Chapters 13
    through 16 in a separate book. And improve the index.

    Today I also put in an oder for Algorithms in a Nutshell by George Heineman,
    and Programming Ruby 1.9: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide (Facets of Ruby)
    by Dave Thomas, which is the latest edition of "the pickaxe book".

    Learning a new language is always work. Even after my 127th language it is
    work. (Actually I lost count after I went over 100 back in the 1980s.)

    No Sam

    Mason Kelsey, Sep 3, 2009
  6. John Kearney

    7stud -- Guest

    Chris Dempsey wrote:
    > For learning the Ruby language I'd have to go with David A. Black's "The
    > Well-Grounded Rubyist".

    I think that even if you are an experienced programmer trying to learn
    ruby, "The Well Grounded Rubyist" is a stretch as a beginning book. And
    if you are new to programming altogether, I don't think it would be
    appropriate.

    7stud --, Sep 3, 2009
  7. John Kearney

    spiralofhope Guest

    On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 02:34:14 +0900
    John Kearney <> wrote:

    > I am a newcomer to programming and wish to explore ruby. Can anyone
    > recomend a book for this purpose.

    Don't restrict yourself to books. There are many excellent online
    tutorials.

    For example, I started out with these two:

    http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

    http://www.scribd.com/doc/8545174/Whys-Poignant-Guide-to-Ruby
    http://www.ember.co.nz/resources/whys-poignant-guide-to-ruby/

    Also, Ruby is an excellent beginner's language.. you'll do well with it.

    --
    http://spiralofhope.com
    spiralofhope, Sep 6, 2009
  8. Hi --

    On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, 7stud -- wrote:

    > Chris Dempsey wrote:
    >> For learning the Ruby language I'd have to go with David A. Black's "The
    >> Well-Grounded Rubyist".
    >>

    > I think that even if you are an experienced programmer trying to learn
    > ruby, "The Well Grounded Rubyist" is a stretch as a beginning book.

    I kind of hope not -- that's the main target audience :) The book
    starts at the beginning; no Ruby experience assumed or required.

    David

    --
    David A. Black / Ruby Power and Light, LLC / http://www.rubypal.com
    Ruby/Rails training, mentoring, consulting, code-review

    September Ruby training in NJ has been POSTPONED. Details to follow.
    David A. Black, Sep 7, 2009
  9. I'm not a programmer, and Ruby is my first (and only) programming
    language. I bought 4 books, all of them good in their way, and managed
    to write the (simple) programmes I needed. But I didn't really
    understand what I was doing; sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't
    and I had to go by trial and error (and copying from sources).

    This changed after I read "The Well Grounded Rubyist". It is quite
    simply superb, and what it achieves is contained in its title. Thanks,
    David.

    Jörg

    --
    Prof. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari MD
    University of Basel

    Jörg Hagmann, Sep 8, 2009
  10. John Kearney

    Greg Donald Guest

    On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:22 AM, 7stud --<> wrote:
    > I think that even if you are an experienced programmer trying to learn
    > ruby, "The Well Grounded Rubyist" is a stretch as a beginning book. =A0An=

    > if you are new to programming altogether, I don't think it would be
    > appropriate.

    I disagree with both statements. It seems more than appropriate for beginn=
    ers.

    --=20
    Greg Donald
    http://destiney.com/