    However, I just noticed VHDL 2000/2002 added 3 more: Protected,
    Procedural and Reference. I understand protected, but what do the
    other 2 do?
    Tricky, Dec 2, 2008

  2. Tricky

    Guest

    On Dec 2, 11:58 am, Tricky <> wrote:
    > I know there are now plenty of reserved words in VHDL, some of which
    > like guarded, register, disconnect have fallen out of use (and from
    > old examples, never appear to have been used much anyway).
    >
    > However, I just noticed VHDL 2000/2002 added 3 more: Protected,
    > Procedural and Reference. I understand protected, but what do the
    > other 2 do?

    I'm guessing they leaked over (during editing) from the VHDL-AMS
    effort. There are a couple other things in the 2002 spec that leaked
    over, like the "break flag" mentioned in the simulation cycle
    semantics. These reserved words are not mentioned in any of the
    grammar productions in the appendix.

    Google found this info, if you want to know what they're for in the
    AMS world.

    ftp://162.105.247.210/pub/document/AMSDoc/VHDL-AMS Quantities and Equations.pdf

    - Kenn
    , Dec 2, 2008

  3. Tricky

    jr Guest

    a écrit :

    > On Dec 2, 11:58 am, Tricky <> wrote:
    >> I know there are now plenty of reserved words in VHDL, some of which
    >> like guarded, register, disconnect have fallen out of use (and from
    >> old examples, never appear to have been used much anyway).
    >>
    >> However, I just noticed VHDL 2000/2002 added 3 more: Protected,
    >> Procedural and Reference. I understand protected, but what do the
    >> other 2 do?

    > I'm guessing they leaked over (during editing) from the VHDL-AMS
    > effort.

    "protected" has to do with "protected types" (for shared variables). It
    is not a AMS extension.

    --
    jr
    homomorphe