Newer reserved words

Tricky

I know there are now plenty of reserved words in VHDL, some of which
like guarded, register, disconnect have fallen out of use (and from
old examples, never appear to have been used much anyway).

However, I just noticed VHDL 2000/2002 added 3 more: Protected,
Procedural and Reference. I understand protected, but what do the
other 2 do?

kennheinrich

I know there are now plenty of reserved words in VHDL, some of which
like guarded, register, disconnect have fallen out of use (and from
old examples, never appear to have been used much anyway).

However, I just noticed VHDL 2000/2002 added 3 more: Protected,
Procedural and Reference. I understand protected, but what do the
other 2 do?

I'm guessing they leaked over (during editing) from the VHDL-AMS
effort. There are a couple other things in the 2002 spec that leaked
over, like the "break flag" mentioned in the simulation cycle
semantics. These reserved words are not mentioned in any of the
grammar productions in the appendix.

Google found this info, if you want to know what they're for in the
AMS world.

ftp://162.105.247.210/pub/document/AMSDoc/VHDL-AMS%20Quantities%20and%20Equations.pdf

- Kenn

jr

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
I'm guessing they leaked over (during editing) from the VHDL-AMS
effort.

"protected" has to do with "protected types" (for shared variables). It
is not a AMS extension.