Newsgroup Programming

Chuck

I've found and used the nntplib module for newgroup programming. Can anyone
suggest a library, technique or reference on how to combine mutliple
messages with attachments such as mp3's, .wmv, *.avi, etc.?

Dennis Lee Bieber

I've found and used the nntplib module for newgroup programming. Can anyone
suggest a library, technique or reference on how to combine mutliple
messages with attachments such as mp3's, .wmv, *.avi, etc.?
A reference? Start here: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2045.html
(and follow-up with 2046, 2047, 2048, 2049)...

If those are too much, try the Python Library reference for
(assuming numbers haven't change, I'm still on 2.3.2):

12.2.3 Generating MIME documents
One of the most common tasks is to generate the flat text of the email
message represented by a message object structure. You will need to do
this if you want to send your message via the smtplib module or the
nntplib module, or print the message on the console. Taking a message
object structure and producing a flat text document is the job of the
Generator class.

12.2.4 Creating email and MIME objects from scratch

or the deprecated 12.6 - 12.9

Steve Holden

Chuck said:
I've found and used the nntplib module for newgroup programming. Can anyone
suggest a library, technique or reference on how to combine mutliple
messages with attachments such as mp3's, .wmv, *.avi, etc.?
Are you talking about reconstructing a long post like a .avi that has
been split up into separate messages?

If so then you'll need to concatenate all the message bodies and use
uudecode on the result, I suspect.

regards
Steve