    K4 Monk Guest

    which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
    in the perl community?

    K4 Monk, Feb 23, 2011

  2. >>>>> "K4" == K4 Monk <> writes:

    K4> which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
    K4> in the perl community?

    It's not like there's a long list.

    comp.lang.perl.announce
    comp.lang.perl.misc
    comp.lang.perl.moderated
    comp.lang.perl.modules
    comp.lang.perl.tk

    That's it.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Feb 24, 2011

  3. K4 Monk

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article
    <>, K4
    Monk <> wrote:

    > which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
    > in the perl community?

    perldoc -q newsgroups

    --
    Jim Gibson

    Jim Gibson, Feb 24, 2011
  4. K4 Monk

    Ralph Malph Guest

    On 2/24/2011 12:47 PM, Jim Gibson wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, K4
    > Monk<> wrote:
    >
    >> which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
    >> in the perl community?

    > perldoc -q newsgroups

    This answer is incorrect. The OP is asking about which are "most active".
    Responding with an irrelevant command line reveals a severe case of
    social retardation.
    The answer is: comp.lang.perl.misc is the most active. comp.lang.perl.tk
    gets a light amount of traffic and the rest
    of the perl groups are currently all but dead. These things change. Or
    they should. UseNet isn't very popular right now.
    Oh, and there are a number of perl.* groups. Some of these get some
    action. I think the perl6 ones are the most active. They probably aren't
    what you(or anybody else) are looking for. They seem to mainly mirror
    narrowly focused mailing lists.

    Ralph Malph, Feb 24, 2011
  5. >>>>> "Ralph" == Ralph Malph <> writes:

    Ralph> Oh, and there are a number of perl.* groups.

    But those are not "news" groups in the sense of "news" == "usenet". As
    they are not even usenet groups.

    Maybe your *local* server provides access to them via its NNTP
    interface, but they are not *news* groups in any proper sense of the word.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Feb 24, 2011
  6. K4 Monk

    K4 Monk Guest

    On Feb 25, 3:49 am, (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

    > Ralph> Oh, and there are a number of perl.* groups.
    >
    > But those are not "news" groups in the sense of "news" == "usenet".  As
    > they are not even usenet groups.
    >
    > Maybe your *local* server provides access to them via its NNTP
    > interface, but they are not *news* groups in any proper sense of the word..

    > <> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
    > Seehttp://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/for Smalltalk discussion

    I see. It seems that I'm already at the right newsgroup!
    Thanks to you all!

    K4 Monk, Feb 24, 2011
  7. K4 Monk

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <89da7$4d66a8cc$ce534406$>, Ralph
    Malph <> wrote:

    > On 2/24/2011 12:47 PM, Jim Gibson wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>, K4
    > > Monk<> wrote:
    > >
    > >> which newsgroups (apart from comp.lang.perl.misc) are the most active
    > >> in the perl community?

    > > perldoc -q newsgroups

    > This answer is incorrect. The OP is asking about which are "most active".

    The ones in the FAQ are the most active newsgroups. The FAQ also
    mentions the NNTP interface to the Perl mailing lists. We write the FAQ
    so you know those things. :)

    brian d foy, Feb 25, 2011