    programs (e.g. Linux mailprograms etc.) I have to observe when programming
    it? What kind of Browsers do they use for viewing the html-files (important
    for css-designing)?
    Robert Secon, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Robert Secon

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Robert Secon" <> writes:
    > I want to program a newsletter which must be send through E-Mail. It needs
    > to be html. Will there be any prblems with Outlook Express and other mail
    > programs (e.g. Linux mailprograms etc.) I have to observe when programming
    > it? What kind of Browsers do they use for viewing the html-files (important
    > for css-designing)?

    Some mail programs don't support HTML mail. Always give the option to
    receive a plain-text version, or format the email so it includes both
    plain-text and HTML versions. Otherwise you'll get complaints.

    Integrated mail and web programs (OE+IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera,
    etc) usually use their own web program to view. Standalone mail
    programs could use any browser installed on the system, a lot of Linux
    ones probably use lynx or (e)links (text-mode browsers).

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Robert Secon

    Robert Secon Guest

    "Chris Morris" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "Robert Secon" <> writes:
    > > I want to program a newsletter which must be send through E-Mail. It

    needs
    > > to be html. Will there be any prblems with Outlook Express and other

    mail
    > > programs (e.g. Linux mailprograms etc.) I have to observe when

    programming
    > > it? What kind of Browsers do they use for viewing the html-files

    (important
    > > for css-designing)?

    > Some mail programs don't support HTML mail. Always give the option to
    > receive a plain-text version, or format the email so it includes both
    > plain-text and HTML versions. Otherwise you'll get complaints.

    How can someone receiving an e-mail choose between two versions though the
    newsletter was even sent?

    > Integrated mail and web programs (OE+IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera,
    > etc) usually use their own web program to view. Standalone mail
    > programs could use any browser installed on the system, a lot of Linux
    > ones probably use lynx or (e)links (text-mode browsers).

    In the case I´m using css (e.g. background-repeat), it only needs to be
    tested by those browsers and not just even through the mail program, right?

    --
    Rob
    Robert Secon, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Robert Secon

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Robert Secon" <> writes:
    > "Chris Morris" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Some mail programs don't support HTML mail. Always give the option to
    > > receive a plain-text version, or format the email so it includes both
    > > plain-text and HTML versions. Otherwise you'll get complaints.

    > How can someone receiving an e-mail choose between two versions though the
    > newsletter was even sent?

    If the email includes in the correct manner a plain text version and a
    HTML version, the mail program will select the appropriate one.

    If when you're getting people to give you their email addresses for
    the newsletter you ask them whether they want plain text or HTML, you
    can find out that way and send two separate newsletters.

    > In the case I´m using css (e.g. background-repeat), it only needs to be
    > tested by those browsers and not just even through the mail program, right?

    Yes, though there's a very wide range of possible browsers - any
    browser at all could be used, as well as programs with no web browsing
    capability but with a HTML parser. Some standalone mail programs may
    have their own built-in HTML parser, as well.

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Jul 18, 2003
  5. In article <bf8kja$ip2$03$-online.com>,
    says...
    > I want to program a newsletter which must be send through E-Mail. It needs
    > to be html. Will there be any prblems with Outlook Express and other mail
    > programs (e.g. Linux mailprograms etc.) I have to observe when programming
    > it? What kind of Browsers do they use for viewing the html-files (important
    > for css-designing)?

    Some webmail (eg hotmail) strip out references to external css files and
    generally mess with your html.

    Keeping the markup simple (just headers & paragraphs for preference)
    would be my suggestion.

    I assume you're happy to live with losing people who can't read html
    emails or who spam filter it?
    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 18, 2003
  6. "Robert Secon" <> wrote in message
    > I want to program a newsletter which must be send through E-Mail. It needs
    > to be html. Will there be any prblems with Outlook Express and other mail
    > programs (e.g. Linux mailprograms etc.) I have to observe when programming
    > it? What kind of Browsers do they use for viewing the html-files

    (important
    > for css-designing)?

    7 Reasons why HTML email is evil -

    Why developers don't want HTML email -
    http://evolt.org/article/view/25/781/index.html

    Why HTML email is bad -
    http://evolt.org/article/view/25/781/index.html

    HTML in Email: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly -
    http://www.ibiztips.com/email19FEB01.htm

    HTML Email Isn't Rich -
    http://www.evolt.org/article/HTML_Email_Isn_t_Rich/25/53732/

    HTML in Email: A Bad Idea -
    http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html

    Why HTML Mail Readers Are a Bad Thing -
    http://www.chaosphere.com/blathu/htmlmail.html

    Plain Text or HTML - Let your users decide:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/522

    HTML Email: Turn it off!
    http://www.american.edu/cas/econ/htmlmail.htm

    Securing Privacy Part Three: Email Issues
    http://www.securityfocus.com/printable/infocus/1579

    A Trick to snoop on E-mail
    http://www.landfield.com/isn/mail-archive/2001/Feb/0041.html

    http://www.privacytoolbox.org/browsing/javascript.shtml

    --
    Karl Core

    Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.
    EightNineThree, Jul 18, 2003
  7. Robert Secon

    Pete Guest

    Pete, Jul 19, 2003