Newsreaders ... very off topic

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Al Jones, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. Al Jones

    Al Jones Guest

    But since I see I'm putting duplicate messages into the system maybe some
    help is in order.

    I have three news services that I use, 2 free and 1 paid. Not all, for
    some reason, get all the messages in the newgroups I inhabit <oddly>.
    Since I don't want to be putting duplicate message out I've been looking
    at newreaderes.

    Opera - my normal browser <and the offending culprit apparently> allows me
    to select which newsgroups from which server - and then somehow 'keeps
    track' of which messages that I've read on the other serrver. This bugs
    me - not because it's not appreciated, but, not knowing 'how it knows'
    makes me wonder why it's doing it and if that's part of the reason for the
    duplication.

    Thunderbird - looks promising - but everytime I go to help it takes me to
    a 404 - not helpful.

    NewRover - looks interesting - allows me to set up what it calls 'interest
    groups' and then allows me to set up the various servers to feed the
    interest group so that all the various messages appear together in the
    'group'.

    Agent - I've used it before, but IMO since it seems to be aimed more at
    the binaries than text NG I've put it on the back burner.

    To make this as short as possible, I want the ablility to:
    send out just one post (sheesh!)
    see all messages from a NG together - similar to the way Rover does it.
    filter incoming messages - so I can not be bothered with the XXX spam.

    What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

    <<troll - god, I hope not!>>
    Al Jones, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Al Jones

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Al Jones scribbled in the mud:

    > What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

    Xnews all pros, no cons

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR
    Duende, Jan 16, 2005

  3. > What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

    Using Thunderbird 1.0 with the 'quote colours' extension - very simple
    and very useful.
    King of Red Lions, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Al Jones

    kchayka Guest

    Al Jones wrote:

    > What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

    FWIW, I've been using mozilla (nightly builds) for a few years now, but
    recently went through the search for a new newsreader myself. I tried
    XNews, Agent (free version), 40tude, XanaNews and maybe a couple others,
    I don't remember.

    The only one I gave serious consideration to was XanaNews, and only
    because it has better keyboard navigation than the others. I rarely use
    a mouse, so this is very important to me. XanaNews lacks some features I
    want, though, so I gave up on it, too.

    So while moz isn't perfect, I haven't found anything better.

    kchayka, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Al Jones

    saz Guest

    In article <opskpqu9b0xhg4go@aljones>, says...
    > But since I see I'm putting duplicate messages into the system maybe some
    > help is in order.
    >
    > I have three news services that I use, 2 free and 1 paid. Not all, for
    > some reason, get all the messages in the newgroups I inhabit <oddly>.
    > Since I don't want to be putting duplicate message out I've been looking
    > at newreaderes.
    >
    > Opera - my normal browser <and the offending culprit apparently> allows me
    > to select which newsgroups from which server - and then somehow 'keeps
    > track' of which messages that I've read on the other serrver. This bugs
    > me - not because it's not appreciated, but, not knowing 'how it knows'
    > makes me wonder why it's doing it and if that's part of the reason for the
    > duplication.
    >
    > Thunderbird - looks promising - but everytime I go to help it takes me to
    > a 404 - not helpful.
    >
    > NewRover - looks interesting - allows me to set up what it calls 'interest
    > groups' and then allows me to set up the various servers to feed the
    > interest group so that all the various messages appear together in the
    > 'group'.
    >
    > Agent - I've used it before, but IMO since it seems to be aimed more at
    > the binaries than text NG I've put it on the back burner.
    >
    > To make this as short as possible, I want the ablility to:
    > send out just one post (sheesh!)
    > see all messages from a NG together - similar to the way Rover does it.
    > filter incoming messages - so I can not be bothered with the XXX spam.
    >
    > What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -
    >
    > <<troll - god, I hope not!>>

    IMO, Microplanet Gravity is the best.
    saz, Jan 17, 2005
  6. Al Jones

    kchayka Guest

    saz wrote:

    > IMO, Microplanet Gravity is the best.

    It's no longer in development, is it?

    kchayka, Jan 17, 2005
  7. Al Jones

    saz Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > saz wrote:
    > >
    > > IMO, Microplanet Gravity is the best.

    > It's no longer in development, is it?

    It went open-source. It's now available at sourceforge. I still use the
    older version - 2.5. It has everything I need.
    saz, Jan 17, 2005
  8. [OT] Re: Newsreaders ... very off topic

    Al Jones wrote:

    > What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

    For Windows, I used and recommended Xnews for years (and still have it
    on a slow old laptop I seldome use). Within the last few months, some
    of the regs in here have discovered it, as well, and seem to have become
    at home and competent with it. It's small, fast, and featured. It
    doesn't even need an involved installation -- you just make a directory
    for it and unzip the distibution zip file into it. And run the executable.

    1. http://xnews.newsguy.com (if you do try it, don't worry about
    it being a beta -- Luu calls every release a beta. :)

    2. DO pick up the newsgroup news.software.readers, because that's the
    de facto support group for it and has a group of very knowedgeable
    users. It's not limited to Xnews -- so whatever client you end up
    with, it would be a good group for you in terms of getting used to
    the new software. I'll see you there, but I'm kinda rusty on Xnews.
    (If you end up with Thunderbird, try netscape.public.mozilla.general.
    In fact, check them out about the help problem you're having.)

    3. Enjoy.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Upgrading From IE http://blinkynet.net/comp/upgrade.html
    Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 17, 2005
  9. King of Red Lions wrote:

    > Using Thunderbird 1.0 with the 'quote colours' extension - very simple
    > and very useful.

    oh, where have you found the quote colour extension? I couldn't find it
    for Thunderbird 1.0...

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply