    What newsreader do you recommend, solely for comp.lang.c and why?

    Thanks
    Albert

    Albert, Mar 1, 2009

  2. In article <>,
    Albert <> wrote:

    >Why do many of you use newsreaders other than the one provided by
    >Google Groups?

    Why would we switch to Google Groups?

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Mar 1, 2009

  3. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Richard Tobin wrote:
    > Why would we switch to Google Groups?

    It *might* be better than your newsreader which you haven't indicated.
    I'm not certain as to what I mean by 'better' (as in the previous
    sentence) since I haven't used a newsreader before (excluding Google
    Groups).

    Albert, Mar 1, 2009
  4. In article <>,
    Albert <> wrote:

    >> Why would we switch to Google Groups?

    >It *might* be better than your newsreader which you haven't indicated.

    I'm not going to try every other newsreader just because it might
    be better.

    >I'm not certain as to what I mean by 'better' (as in the previous
    >sentence) since I haven't used a newsreader before (excluding Google
    >Groups).

    So if you haven't tried any others, why are you asking other people
    why they haven't switched? Do you go round asking people why they
    drink anything other than Budweiser?

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Mar 1, 2009
  5. "Albert" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Why do many of you use newsreaders other than the one provided by
    > Google Groups?
    >
    > What newsreader do you recommend, solely for comp.lang.c and why?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Albert

    Because using google groups sometimes makes you look like a spammer or a
    noob.
    Of course there are exceptions, so no offense to anyone :)

    Harold Aptroot, Mar 1, 2009
  6. Albert

    James Kuyper Guest

    Albert wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Why do many of you use newsreaders other than the one provided by
    > Google Groups?

    Why shouldn't we? Google Groups is a lousy news reader. It doesn't
    provide message filtering. It doesn't keep track of which messages I've
    already read. It can send a copy of the message to be sent to my
    personal e-mail address, but it can't be set to do so automatically.
    These are just a few of my issues with it.

    It's also a lousy usenet archive, though it is, to the best of my
    knowledge, the best available usenet archive.

    > What newsreader do you recommend, solely for comp.lang.c and why?

    I make no recommendations. I use mozilla thunderbird because I'm
    familiar with it, it's free, it runs on Linux, it's adequate to my
    needs, and because it's the best newsreader of the small number of
    newsreaders I've bothered trying out - but that number is too small to
    justify making a general recommendation.

    James Kuyper, Mar 1, 2009
  7. Albert <> writes:
    > Why do many of you use newsreaders other than the one provided by
    > Google Groups?
    >
    > What newsreader do you recommend, solely for comp.lang.c and why?

    How is comp.lang.c relevant to the choice of which newsreader to use?

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Mar 1, 2009
  8. In article <>,
    Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >Albert <> writes:
    >> Why do many of you use newsreaders other than the one provided by
    >> Google Groups?
    >>
    >> What newsreader do you recommend, solely for comp.lang.c and why?

    >How is comp.lang.c relevant to the choice of which newsreader to use?

    He's probably looking for one that has killfiles that actually work.
    Lately, there's been some trouble in that area...

    Kenny McCormack, Mar 1, 2009
  9. On 1 Mar 2009 at 11:41, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >>How is comp.lang.c relevant to the choice of which newsreader to use?

    > He's probably looking for one that has killfiles that actually work.
    > Lately, there's been some trouble in that area...

    In that case, he should definitely avoid Mozilla 4.75 running on
    Windows 98...

    Antoninus Twink, Mar 1, 2009
  10. Albert <> writes:

    > Richard Tobin wrote:
    >> Why would we switch to Google Groups?

    > It *might* be better than your newsreader which you haven't
    > indicated.

    Most people do indicate which newsreader they use. If you look at the
    whole message you will see:

    on Richard Tobin's messages and, for another example,

    on mine. Of course, this does not answer the why, but in my case the
    answer is not interesting (familiarity and no reason to change).

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Mar 1, 2009
  11. Albert

    Rich Webb Guest

    On 1 Mar 2009 09:19:36 GMT, (Richard Tobin)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Albert <> wrote:
    >
    >>Why do many of you use newsreaders other than the one provided by
    >>Google Groups?

    >Why would we switch to Google Groups?

    A counter question may be "Why wouldn't we filter on 'Message-ID
    googlegroups.com'" and discard all posts originating at Google Groups?
    To be fair, the latest spam wave from GG seems to have abated somewhat
    but filtering out all GG posts does improve the signal to noise ratio.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Rich Webb, Mar 1, 2009
  12. Albert

    Guest

    On Mar 1, 2:59 am, Albert <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Why do many of you use newsreaders other than the one provided by
    > Google Groups?

    Because the Google Groups client *sucks*. No killfile or other
    filtering capability, no ability to sort or flag articles by author or
    keywords, a broken threading algorithm, spam spam spam spam spam spam
    spam, etc.

    > What newsreader do you recommend, solely for comp.lang.c and why?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Albert

    The two I've used most recently were Pan for Linux-based systems and
    Unison for Mac OS X. Both work reasonably well, and provide most of
    the capabilities I mentioned above. Just about any newsreader works
    for clc, since the content is exclusively text-based.

    I use GG to surf from my work box, simply because I have no other
    option.

    , Mar 1, 2009
  13. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Keith Thompson asked:
    > How is comp.lang.c relevant to the choice of which newsreader to use?

    Maybe some newsreaders allow you to change the font which you read
    from. I don't know if that's a browser setting, but it *might* be just
    for other displays of web content. Maybe in some newsreaders you could
    have non-code in one font, and code in one of the equally spaced
    fonts; I haven't tried any newsreaders other than Google Groups, as
    I've pointed out.

    Albert, Mar 1, 2009
  14. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Richard Tobin wrote:
    So if you haven't tried any others, why are you asking other people
    > why they haven't switched?

    Because I think that if lots of people suggest one newsreader to use,
    then I can use that one and not have to try other ones.

    Albert, Mar 1, 2009
  15. Albert wrote:
    > Richard Tobin wrote:
    >> So if you haven't tried any others, why are you asking other people
    >> why they haven't switched?

    > Because I think that if lots of people suggest one newsreader to use,
    > then I can use that one and not have to try other ones.

    Tastes vary; just because one newsreader may be right for "lots of
    people" doesn't mean it's right for you. If that were true, we'd all be
    using the same one, and we're certainly not.

    If you're interested in what various people here use, check out the
    article titled "Stats for comp.lang.c" that is posted here periodically.
    You will be most interested in the "Top 10 User Agents by poster" and
    "Top 10 User Agents by number of posts" sections towards the end.

    K5SSS smart people who disagree with them." --Isaac Jaffe

    Stephen Sprunk, Mar 1, 2009
  16. Albert

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Albert wrote:
    > Richard Tobin wrote:
    >> Why would we switch to Google Groups?

    > It *might* be better than your newsreader which you haven't indicated.
    > I'm not certain as to what I mean by 'better' (as in the previous
    > sentence) since I haven't used a newsreader before (excluding Google
    > Groups).

    Curious... So with only knowing google you see fit to
    cast doubt on newsreaders.

    Sjouke Burry, Mar 1, 2009
  17. In article <> Albert <> writes:
    > Richard Tobin wrote:
    > > Why would we switch to Google Groups?

    > It *might* be better than your newsreader which you haven't indicated.
    > I'm not certain as to what I mean by 'better' (as in the previous
    > sentence) since I haven't used a newsreader before (excluding Google
    > Groups).

    I do not think I can read the company local newsgroups with Google Groups...
    --
    dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131

    Dik T. Winter, Mar 2, 2009
  18. In article <blargg.ei3-0103091106580001@192.168.1.4> (blargg) writes:
    > James Kuyper wrote:
    > [...]
    > > [Google Groups] is also a lousy usenet archive, though it is, to the
    > > best of my knowledge, the best available usenet archive.

    > RIP, DejaNews.

    Deja had also its flaws. The most visible was that it could miss large
    numbers of articles. Google is better in that aspect because it has more
    and better feeds. Altavista was really horrible on occasion.
    --
    dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131

    Dik T. Winter, Mar 2, 2009
  19. In article <> Albert <> writes:
    > Keith Thompson asked:
    > > How is comp.lang.c relevant to the choice of which newsreader to use?

    > Maybe some newsreaders allow you to change the font which you read
    > from. I don't know if that's a browser setting, but it *might* be just
    > for other displays of web content.

    You are assuming that all newsreadres are browser based. They are not. With
    the newsreader I am using (do not look for it in the headers, it will not be
    named there, but it is "rn") everything is textbased in a terminal window and
    so everything is in the same monospaced font. Usenet groups are *not* web
    content, they go beyond the web. For instance, the first Usenet feed
    Australia got was by magnetic tape by aeroplane from Berkely in the US.
    The first Usenet feed we got here was by dial-up phone line and modems at
    the amazing speed of 2400 baud (one night each day was more than sufficient
    for a complete feed).
    --
    dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131

    Dik T. Winter, Mar 2, 2009
  20. In article <iQDql.8461$%> Stephen Sprunk <> writes:
    > If you're interested in what various people here use, check out the
    > article titled "Stats for comp.lang.c" that is posted here periodically.
    > You will be most interested in the "Top 10 User Agents by poster" and
    > "Top 10 User Agents by number of posts" sections towards the end.

    My newsreader will not figure their regardless of the number of articles
    I post...
    --
    dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131

    Dik T. Winter, Mar 2, 2009