Newsreaders

Richard

JosephKK said:
While some could consider it strongly worded, i believe i used
language appropriately. There was the possible reading that R
expected all newsreaders work under the hood like google groups
behaves. In the meantime i have all bodies of all the messsages that
have not expired that i have read (the body of) stored locally and
they are instantly at my fingertips.

That is your choice.

Brian is a topical net nanny who is unable to set a signature correctly
on his posts. His knowledge of newsreaders is not very advanced
either and his comments about his article coverage compared to GG was
plain wrong.

Default User

JosephKK said:
On 6 Mar 2009 23:54:22 GMT, "Default User" <[email protected]>
wrote:

While some could consider it strongly worded, i believe i used
language appropriately. There was the possible reading that R
expected all newsreaders work under the hood like google groups
behaves. In the meantime i have all bodies of all the messsages that
have not expired that i have read (the body of) stored locally and
they are instantly at my fingertips.

I agree. However, that has nothing to do with what I posted. Please
reread the message. I said that Google Groups does not provide all
messages at your fingertips. Not your newsreading system.
That is your choice.

Many on the newsgroup, including me, consider him to be a troll. As
such, I have placed him in my killfile and I ignore quoted material for
the most part.

Brian

Richard

"have not expire". This was my point. Also local newsreaders frequently
have cache limits.
I agree. However, that has nothing to do with what I posted. Please

It had everything to do with what you posted. But you're too busy
puffing our your chest to realise.
reread the message. I said that Google Groups does not provide all
messages at your fingertips. Not your newsreading system.

Many on the newsgroup, including me, consider him to be a troll. As
such, I have placed him in my killfile and I ignore quoted material for
the most part.

Brian

You are a pompous little man Bwian. Grow up.

blmblm

[ snip ]
You are assuming that all newsreadres are browser based. They are not. With
the newsreader I am using (do not look for it in the headers, it will not be
named there, but it is "rn")

rn?! Okay, I'm curious -- why? You'll notice from the headers on
my post that I'm a trn user, so I understand the attraction of something
simple and text-based that allows users to compose posts with their
editor(s) of choice, but .... rn. Wow.
everything is textbased in a terminal window and
so everything is in the same monospaced font. Usenet groups are *not* web
content, they go beyond the web. For instance, the first Usenet feed
Australia got was by magnetic tape by aeroplane from Berkely in the US.
The first Usenet feed we got here was by dial-up phone line and modems at
the amazing speed of 2400 baud (one night each day was more than sufficient
for a complete feed).

Similar to my first exposure to Usenet, at a long-ago PPOE -- but
our dial-up connection happened hourly rather daily ....

Dik T. Winter

> rn?! Okay, I'm curious -- why? You'll notice from the headers on
> my post that I'm a trn user, so I understand the attraction of something
> simple and text-based that allows users to compose posts with their
> editor(s) of choice, but .... rn. Wow.

I have tried trn but found the interface through curses not nice. I can go
through a newsgroup using only the space bar, occasionally the 'k' key and
sometimes the 'F' key.

CBFalconer

Dik T. Winter said:
.... snip ...

I have tried trn but found the interface through curses not nice.
I can go through a newsgroup using only the space bar,
occasionally the 'k' key and sometimes the 'F' key.

Now to me that sounds like a very nice interface. No disturbance
of hand position to play with rodents. What bothers you about it?

Keith Thompson

CBFalconer said:
Now to me that sounds like a very nice interface. No disturbance
of hand position to play with rodents. What bothers you about it?

I think he meant that rn has the "very nice interface", and trn as the
"not nice" one.