next line in doc declaration

David Dorward

windandwaves said:
is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
declaration on the second line?

It allows each line to fit on one line (and avoids word wrapping or
horizontal scrolling)

Toby Inkster

windandwaves said:
is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
declaration on the second line?

Stops you having to scroll that way ----> to read it all.

Jukka K. Korpela

windandwaves said:
is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
declaration on the second line?

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Yes. The HTML 4.01 specification says at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.2
the following:

"HTML 4.01 specifies three DTDs, so authors must include one of the
following document type declarations in their documents."

followed by three alternative constructs, one of which is

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

The formulation is vague and debatable, but the specification can be read
as saying that you must use one of DOCTYPE declarations given. This is a
weird requirement, but it's there.

Moreover, browsers are known to play by such rules in "DOCTYPE sniffing".
If you omit the URL (which is redundant by SGML rules), IE goes to "quirks"
mode. So why take the risk that some browsers do some nitpicking even with
the use of white space here, when it is simpler to copy the DOCTYPE
_exactly_.

dorayme

From: Els said:

"Got you" is a sort of point scoring term. I did not mean
anything bad. In a light hearted way (probably realising he
was wrong and you right about the actual issue), he replied
about his mother. One can't argue with a mother!

Put it another way: People "get" people when they make a
good touche. A touche is a remark that is sort of hard to
answer... Here is a google found definition: "touched
[French] In fencing, a touch of a sword on the opponent's
body is worth a point. Thus, touché has come to mean a
score or a point, often used figuratively in verbal fencing
and spoken by the person against whom the point was
scored."

dorayme

Els

dorayme said:

"Got you" is a sort of point scoring term. I did not mean
anything bad. In a light hearted way (probably realising he
was wrong and you right about the actual issue), he replied
about his mother. One can't argue with a mother!

Put it another way: People "get" people when they make a
good touche. A touche is a remark that is sort of hard to
answer... Here is a google found definition: "touched
[French] In fencing, a touch of a sword on the opponent's
body is worth a point. Thus, touché has come to mean a
score or a point, often used figuratively in verbal fencing
and spoken by the person against whom the point was
scored."

Thank you for the explanation - but I knew all that <g>

The huh? was cause I didn't know how you thought he'd got me. But
indeed, can't argue with a Mother :)

I'd explain the 'got you' in this context as 'got you cornered' rather
than 'scored a point' though ;-)

(and I didn't for one moment think you meant it bad btw ;-))

dorayme

From: Els said:
The huh? was cause I didn't know how you thought he'd got me. But
indeed, can't argue with a Mother :)

I'd explain the 'got you' in this context as 'got you cornered' rather
than 'scored a point' though ;-)

It is an English idiomatic thing, the Brits and the Aussies
and even the Yanks say it. At the start of the Faulkland's
war during which Britain sent a fleet to retake the
Falkland islands from the Argentinians, a British sub sank
an Argentinian cruiser (called I think, the "Belgrano")
with hundreds of servicemen perishing. One of the British
"gutter press" dailies screamed a headline afterwards:
"GOTCHA!" Unpleasant context, but the point is about the
idiomatic use...

(btw, if I may say, if you are not a native English
speaker, you are most accomplished. You would be appalled
at my Dutch!)

dorayme

Els

dorayme said:
It is an English idiomatic thing, the Brits and the Aussies
and even the Yanks say it.

Even the Dutch say it. Although in Dutch of course ;-)
"ik heb je te pakken". Literally it would mean "I grabbed you", "I got
hold of you", but figuratively it's the same as 'got you' in English.
At the start of the Faulkland's
war during which Britain sent a fleet to retake the
Falkland islands from the Argentinians, a British sub sank
an Argentinian cruiser (called I think, the "Belgrano")
with hundreds of servicemen perishing. One of the British
"gutter press" dailies screamed a headline afterwards:
"GOTCHA!" Unpleasant context, but the point is about the
idiomatic use...

I'd have thought that too low even for the worst tabloids, but yes, it
does demonstrate the idiomatic use :)
(btw, if I may say, if you are not a native English
speaker, you are most accomplished.

Well thank you! :)
Blame it on the Aussi's, South Africans and even the Brits I hung out
with on my travels ;-)
You would be appalled at my Dutch!)

Is your Dutch existent then? If not, I couldn't be appalled by it ;-)