    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    Thank you in advance

    - Nicolaas
    windandwaves, Aug 20, 2005

  2. windandwaves

    Spartanicus Guest

    "windandwaves" <> wrote:

    >is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
    >declaration on the second line?
    >
    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    No.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 20, 2005

  3. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:

    > Hi Folk
    >
    > is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
    > declaration on the second line?

    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > - Nicolaas

    It should all be one line.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 20, 2005
  4. windandwaves wrote:

    > is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
    > declaration on the second line?

    It allows each line to fit on one line (and avoids word wrapping or
    horizontal scrolling)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Aug 20, 2005
  5. windandwaves

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus <> wrote:

    >>is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
    >>declaration on the second line?
    >>
    >><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    >No.

    But leave a space if you put it on one line.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 20, 2005
  6. windandwaves

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Stops you having to scroll that way ----> to read it all.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 20, 2005
  7. windandwaves

    Els Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:
    >
    >> is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
    >> declaration on the second line?
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    > It should all be one line.

    Says who?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Aug 20, 2005
  8. "windandwaves" <> wrote:

    > is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
    > declaration on the second line?

    Yes. The HTML 4.01 specification says at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.2
    the following:

    "HTML 4.01 specifies three DTDs, so authors must include one of the
    following document type declarations in their documents."

    followed by three alternative constructs, one of which is

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    The formulation is vague and debatable, but the specification can be read
    as saying that you must use one of DOCTYPE declarations given. This is a
    weird requirement, but it's there.

    Moreover, browsers are known to play by such rules in "DOCTYPE sniffing".
    If you omit the URL (which is redundant by SGML rules), IE goes to "quirks"
    mode. So why take the risk that some browsers do some nitpicking even with
    the use of white space here, when it is simpler to copy the DOCTYPE
    _exactly_.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 20, 2005
  9. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:
    > >
    > >> is there a meaningful reason for placing the second line of the document
    > >> declaration on the second line?
    > >>
    > >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    > >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    > > It should all be one line.

    > Says who?

    My mother. If you want to argue with my mother, go right ahead.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 20, 2005
  10. windandwaves

    Els Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> It should all be one line.

    >> Says who?

    > My mother. If you want to argue with my mother, go right ahead.

    LOL!

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Aug 20, 2005
  11. windandwaves

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Neredbojias <>
    >
    >>> It should all be one line.

    >> Says who?
    >>

    > My mother.

    Admit it Els! He's got you on this one!

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 20, 2005
  12. windandwaves

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    >> From: Neredbojias <>

    >>> Says who?

    >> My mother.

    > Admit it Els! He's got you on this one!

    Huh?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Aug 20, 2005
  13. windandwaves

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Els <>
    >
    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >>> From: Neredbojias <>

    >>> My mother.

    >> Admit it Els! He's got you on this one!

    > Huh?

    "Got you" is a sort of point scoring term. I did not mean
    anything bad. In a light hearted way (probably realising he
    was wrong and you right about the actual issue), he replied
    about his mother. One can't argue with a mother!

    Put it another way: People "get" people when they make a
    good touche. A touche is a remark that is sort of hard to
    answer... Here is a google found definition: "touched
    [French] In fencing, a touch of a sword on the opponent's
    body is worth a point. Thus, touché has come to mean a
    score or a point, often used figuratively in verbal fencing
    and spoken by the person against whom the point was
    scored."

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 21, 2005
  14. windandwaves

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    >> From: Els <>

    >>> Admit it Els! He's got you on this one!

    >> Huh?

    > "Got you" is a sort of point scoring term. I did not mean
    > anything bad. In a light hearted way (probably realising he
    > was wrong and you right about the actual issue), he replied
    > about his mother. One can't argue with a mother!
    >
    > Put it another way: People "get" people when they make a
    > good touche. A touche is a remark that is sort of hard to
    > answer... Here is a google found definition: "touched
    > [French] In fencing, a touch of a sword on the opponent's
    > body is worth a point. Thus, touché has come to mean a
    > score or a point, often used figuratively in verbal fencing
    > and spoken by the person against whom the point was
    > scored."

    Thank you for the explanation - but I knew all that <g>

    The huh? was cause I didn't know how you thought he'd got me. But
    indeed, can't argue with a Mother :)

    I'd explain the 'got you' in this context as 'got you cornered' rather
    than 'scored a point' though ;-)

    (and I didn't for one moment think you meant it bad btw ;-))

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Aug 21, 2005
  15. windandwaves

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Els <>
    >
    > The huh? was cause I didn't know how you thought he'd got me. But
    > indeed, can't argue with a Mother :)
    >
    > I'd explain the 'got you' in this context as 'got you cornered' rather
    > than 'scored a point' though ;-)

    It is an English idiomatic thing, the Brits and the Aussies
    and even the Yanks say it. At the start of the Faulkland's
    war during which Britain sent a fleet to retake the
    Falkland islands from the Argentinians, a British sub sank
    an Argentinian cruiser (called I think, the "Belgrano")
    with hundreds of servicemen perishing. One of the British
    "gutter press" dailies screamed a headline afterwards:
    "GOTCHA!" Unpleasant context, but the point is about the
    idiomatic use...

    (btw, if I may say, if you are not a native English
    speaker, you are most accomplished. You would be appalled
    at my Dutch!)

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 21, 2005
  16. windandwaves

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    >> From: Els <>
    >>
    >> The huh? was cause I didn't know how you thought he'd got me. But
    >> indeed, can't argue with a Mother :)
    >>
    >> I'd explain the 'got you' in this context as 'got you cornered' rather
    >> than 'scored a point' though ;-)
    >>

    > It is an English idiomatic thing, the Brits and the Aussies
    > and even the Yanks say it.

    Even the Dutch say it. Although in Dutch of course ;-)
    "ik heb je te pakken". Literally it would mean "I grabbed you", "I got
    hold of you", but figuratively it's the same as 'got you' in English.

    > At the start of the Faulkland's
    > war during which Britain sent a fleet to retake the
    > Falkland islands from the Argentinians, a British sub sank
    > an Argentinian cruiser (called I think, the "Belgrano")
    > with hundreds of servicemen perishing. One of the British
    > "gutter press" dailies screamed a headline afterwards:
    > "GOTCHA!" Unpleasant context, but the point is about the
    > idiomatic use...

    I'd have thought that too low even for the worst tabloids, but yes, it
    does demonstrate the idiomatic use :)

    > (btw, if I may say, if you are not a native English
    > speaker, you are most accomplished.

    Well thank you! :)
    Blame it on the Aussi's, South Africans and even the Brits I hung out
    with on my travels ;-)

    > You would be appalled at my Dutch!)

    Is your Dutch existent then? If not, I couldn't be appalled by it ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Aug 21, 2005