NFS, new class versions and class loading

Discussion in 'Java' started by HK, Jun 20, 2005.

  1. HK

    HK Guest

    I have a bunch of experimental servers running
    while at the same time I keep developing the software.
    Currently this amounts to small changes only --- whatever
    'small' exactly means in that case:)

    Once in a while I reinstall the changed software over
    the old one, but do not restart all the
    servers, only those which should benefit
    from the changes made.

    I am not 100% sure, but I guess I am asking for
    trouble here. Am I right to assume that in
    principle the servers which I don't restart may
    later try to load a class which was not needed
    until then. This class may then be
    incompatible with what is already loaded,
    resulting in malfunction and crash.

    Any idea whether class loading from NFS
    exacerbates the problem.

    Harald.

    HK, Jun 20, 2005

  2. HK

    Lucy Guest

    "HK" <> wrote in message
    > I have a bunch of experimental servers running
    > while at the same time I keep developing the software.
    > Currently this amounts to small changes only --- whatever
    > 'small' exactly means in that case:)
    >
    > Once in a while I reinstall the changed software over
    > the old one, but do not restart all the
    > servers, only those which should benefit
    > from the changes made.
    >
    > I am not 100% sure, but I guess I am asking for
    > trouble here. Am I right to assume that in
    > principle the servers which I don't restart may
    > later try to load a class which was not needed
    > until then. This class may then be
    > incompatible with what is already loaded,
    > resulting in malfunction and crash.

    Crash is fun. Too bad the boss don't like it as much.

    Lucy, Jun 20, 2005