NFS, new class versions and class loading

HK

I have a bunch of experimental servers running
while at the same time I keep developing the software.
Currently this amounts to small changes only --- whatever
'small' exactly means in that case:)

Once in a while I reinstall the changed software over
the old one, but do not restart all the
servers, only those which should benefit
from the changes made.

I am not 100% sure, but I guess I am asking for
trouble here. Am I right to assume that in
principle the servers which I don't restart may
later try to load a class which was not needed
until then. This class may then be
incompatible with what is already loaded,
resulting in malfunction and crash.

Any idea whether class loading from NFS
exacerbates the problem.

Harald.

Lucy

HK said:
I have a bunch of experimental servers running
while at the same time I keep developing the software.
Currently this amounts to small changes only --- whatever
'small' exactly means in that case:)

Once in a while I reinstall the changed software over
the old one, but do not restart all the
servers, only those which should benefit
from the changes made.

I am not 100% sure, but I guess I am asking for
trouble here. Am I right to assume that in
principle the servers which I don't restart may
later try to load a class which was not needed
until then. This class may then be
incompatible with what is already loaded,
resulting in malfunction and crash.

Crash is fun. Too bad the boss don't like it as much.