nicer url thoughts?

Paul Furman

Toby said:
Don't do that. YMD is good: it's unambiguous. MDY is a weird-ass, ambiguous
date format, used by a tiny proportion of the world's population.

Paul said:
> /07-19-07/

Argh!

make that 7-19-07 (both work but the first is a perfect example why it's
confusing)

Ed Mullen

rf said:
I once did the demographics on this, starting with the Windows region
settings through to some site that lists the population of each country.

The biggest of course is the U S of A with ~4.5% of the planets population.

The other 10 or so countries that use MDY add up to a further 1% or so.

So, the tiny proportion is around 5.5%. And they think they own the internet
:)

Hey! Al Gore /invented/ the Internet!!!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Toby A Inkster

rf said:
I once did the demographics on this, starting with the Windows region
settings through to some site that lists the population of each country.

http://message-id.net/[email protected]

strtotime_i18n function:
http://demiblog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/demiblog/trunk/blog/includes/i18n.php?view=markup

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 38 days, 12:54.]

Cryptography Challenge
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/07/24/crypto-challenge/

rf

Toby A Inkster said:

I missed a % somewhere. Working from memory, was a couple or three years ago
(and so predates your post and I am sure I posted it somewhere though I
can't find it :) ). 6.5 does sound more likely now that I am prodded about
it. Forgot about those blokes next door to us, the Philippinos.

Handy looking code, if I ever need to fiddle with dates.

In general I get mightily narked when that upstart country, the U S of A,
tries to lay down the law on how things should work for the 95.5% rest of
the world[1]. Sure they may have invented the internet but we the Aussies,
tiny as we are, have invented the odd thing or two, the rotary lawn mower,
the Hills clothes hoist, much more practical things than this fiddly
internet stuff. And those blighters can't even spell.

[1] <aside> Skiing in California: Had to fill in a survey before they would
give me a lift pass. The damn computer insisted that my "zip code" *must* be
5 numbers and simply would not believe that I lived in the state of NSW in
<shudder> another country. Demographics stuffed. They have no idea where
their clients really come from. Head in sand or in this case, snow. </aside>

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:09:47
GMT rf scribed:
In general I get mightily narked when that upstart country, the U S of
A, tries to lay down the law on how things should work for the 95.5%
rest of the world[1]. Sure they may have invented the internet but we
the Aussies, tiny as we are, have invented the odd thing or two, the
rotary lawn mower, the Hills clothes hoist, much more practical things
than this fiddly internet stuff. And those blighters can't even spell.

Australians invented the rotary lawnmower? Well, that's probably because
they're always running around in circles. Of course it could be due to the
head spinning syndrome, but that's an ethereally circular argument.
[1] <aside> Skiing in California: Had to fill in a survey before they
would give me a lift pass. The damn computer insisted that my "zip
code" *must* be 5 numbers and simply would not believe that I lived in
the state of NSW in <shudder> another country. Demographics stuffed.
They have no idea where their clients really come from. Head in sand
or in this case, snow. </aside>

We only let California into the Union because we didn't want a flaky
foreign country bordering our soil.

bizshop

Oh, and I could change 2007-06-24 to 6-24-07

No need for the dashes - and 20070624.is ISO proper.

Steve Veltkamp
http:BizShop.com

dorayme

"Chris F.A. Johnson said:
it is 2007-06-24 not the nonsensical
6-24-07.

The immediate interest of a date is often the particular day so
that starting makes sense. Then the month, then the year -
because the die is set and you have to go in hierarchical order.
Or perhaps the regular order of a computer path, the top to the
particular, year, month, then day. Anything in between is indeed
nonsensical.

Paul Furman

Chris said:
ISO requires the dashes, and it is 2007-06-24 not the nonsensical
6-24-07.

I've got both systems now. 6-24-07 is what I'm most comfortable with
(and most Americans), the dashes simply make it easier to read. That's
how it presents now. 2007-06-24 is the actual archive system which makes
things sort properly and is more bulletproof regarding misinterpretation.

rf

Paul Furman said:
I've got both systems now. 6-24-07 is what I'm most comfortable with

You might be but less that 5% of the planet uses that format. The other 95%
will wonder what the 24th month of the year is.

rf

Ed Mullen said:
So, 95% of the planet is too stupid to figure it out? That's a pretty sad
opinion of most of the world.

Ok, figure this one out:
6/5/07

Are you going to be a nearly month late for your meeting?

Blinky the Shark

rf said:
You might be but less that 5% of the planet uses that format.
The other 95% will wonder what the 24th month of the year is.

You don't seem to think that that other 95% of the people on the
planet are very intelligent if you think that when they see "6-24-
07" they don't simply realize it's "the other system" and interpret
that way -- the way the 5% is smart enough to do that when we see
"24-6-07". Of course, you could be right.

Bergamot

rf said:
You might be but less that 5% of the planet uses that format.

You should use whatever format your target audience is most familiar with.
The other 95%
will wonder what the 24th month of the year is.

If your target audience is limited to that 5% of the planet, who cares
about the rest?

John Dunlop

Chris F.A. Johnson:
ISO requires the dashes

No, ISO8601 does not require hyphens. The basic format YYYYMMDD is
fine if compactness trumps readability. YYYY-MM-DD is the extended
format.