Nigh Stikipad

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Trans, Dec 4, 2008.

  1. Trans

    Trans Guest

    Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
    very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light
    users as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately
    they seem to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning
    to their users.

    I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
    only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that
    be a lesson to you!)

    Does anyone know anyone involved with this company? Is there any hope
    of salvaging my lost work?

    Also, I am surprised they could not keep the business afloat. Even if
    they weren't turning any profits, I would expect they could at least
    bring in enough revenue to keep the site running. If Stikipad has
    thrown in the towel for good, I for one would be interested in buying
    up the their software assets on the cheap (something is better than
    nothing, right?) and restarting the service.

    T.

    Trans, Dec 4, 2008

  2. Trans

    Tim Pease Guest

    On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Trans <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
    > very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light
    > users as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately
    > they seem to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning
    > to their users.

    Found this blog post from May of this year ....
    http://mentalized.net/journal/2008/05/27/stikipad_when_software_in_the_cloud_goes_sour/

    and one from June ...
    http://ferociouspixie.blogspot.com/2008/06/stikipad-is-lame-duck-company.html

    Magic 8 Ball says "outlook not so good"

    > I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
    > only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that
    > be a lesson to you!)

    Might I recommend using Webby for your wiki and keeping your website
    in a git repository hosed on github. You'll always have a local copy
    of the wiki in your git repo, and you can host the wiki on any server
    you choose. Just a thought

    > Does anyone know anyone involved with this company? Is there any hope
    > of salvaging my lost work?

    Magic 8 Ball says "no".

    > Also, I am surprised they could not keep the business afloat. Even if
    > they weren't turning any profits, I would expect they could at least
    > bring in enough revenue to keep the site running. If Stikipad has
    > thrown in the towel for good, I for one would be interested in buying
    > up the their software assets on the cheap (something is better than
    > nothing, right?) and restarting the service.

    Sounds like they were not responding to their customers. Business is
    not going to work with that kind of attitude.

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Dec 4, 2008

  3. Trans

    Ken Bloom Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 03:06:32 -0500, Trans wrote:

    > Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
    > very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light users
    > as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately they seem
    > to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning to their
    > users.
    >
    > I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
    > only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that be
    > a lesson to you!)

    Try to recover what you can from the Internet Archive's way back machine,
    and the Google cache.

    http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/

    Ken Bloom, Dec 4, 2008
  4. Trans

    Trans Guest

    On Dec 4, 10:08=A0am, "Tim Pease" <> wrote:
    > On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Trans <> wrote:
    > > Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
    > > very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light
    > > users as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately
    > > they seem to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning
    > > to their users.

    > Found this blog post from May of this year ....http://mentalized.net/jour=

    nal/2008/05/27/stikipad_when_software_in_th...

    > and one from June ...http://ferociouspixie.blogspot.com/2008/06/stikipad-=

    is-lame-duck-comp...

    > Magic 8 Ball says "outlook not so good"
    >
    > > I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
    > > only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that
    > > be a lesson to you!)

    > Might I recommend using Webby for your wiki and keeping your website
    > in a git repository hosed on github. You'll always have a local copy
    > of the wiki in your git repo, and you can host the wiki on any server
    > you choose. Just a thought
    >
    > > Does anyone know anyone involved with this company? Is there any hope
    > > of salvaging my lost work?

    > Magic 8 Ball says "no".
    >
    > > Also, I am surprised they could not keep the business afloat. Even if
    > > they weren't turning any profits, I would expect they could at least
    > > bring in enough revenue to keep the site running. If Stikipad has
    > > thrown in the towel for good, I for one would be interested in buying
    > > up the their software assets on the cheap (something is better than
    > > nothing, right?) and restarting the service.

    > Sounds like they were not responding to their customers. Business is
    > not going to work with that kind of attitude.

    Thanks Tim. Apparently a one Johnathon George is responsible (DNS
    register). His twitter page is: http://twitter.com/jdg. I love this
    tweet:

    "Man, I've messed up a lot over the last few years. 2:08 AM Nov 26th
    from web"

    Why is this guy just ignoring everyone? You'd think he at least make
    the data temporarily available so people could download their stuff.
    Or did he accidentally delete it all and doesn't want to own up to it?
    That's all I can think of. Just the same, I'm a very forgiving person.
    Lord knows I have my share of f*ups, but to just totally abandon so
    many people without so much as a word? I'm sorry, but this guy, and
    whomever else is responsible, should be sued.

    T.

    Trans, Dec 5, 2008
  5. Trans

    Trans Guest

    On Dec 4, 1:04=A0pm, Ken Bloom <> wrote:
    > Try to recover what you can from the Internet Archive's way back machine,
    > and the Google cache.

    Unfortunately I don't think that's possible, it was password protected
    content.

    T.

    Trans, Dec 5, 2008
  6. On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Tim Pease <> wrote:

    > Might I recommend using Webby for your wiki and keeping your website
    > in a git repository hosed on github. You'll always have a local copy
    > of the wiki in your git repo, and you can host the wiki on any server
    > you choose. Just a thought

    http://atonie.org/2008/02/git-wiki is another option along the same
    lines (much as I love webby, it's nice to have wiki-specific features
    built-in)

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Dec 5, 2008
  7. Trans

    Trans Guest

    Has anyone considered a class action suite?

    Trans, Jan 2, 2009