Nigh Stikipad

Trans

Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light
users as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately
they seem to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning
to their users.

I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that
be a lesson to you!)

Does anyone know anyone involved with this company? Is there any hope
of salvaging my lost work?

Also, I am surprised they could not keep the business afloat. Even if
they weren't turning any profits, I would expect they could at least
bring in enough revenue to keep the site running. If Stikipad has
thrown in the towel for good, I for one would be interested in buying
up the their software assets on the cheap (something is better than
nothing, right?) and restarting the service.

T.

Tim Pease

Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light
users as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately
they seem to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning
to their users.

Found this blog post from May of this year ....
http://mentalized.net/journal/2008/05/27/stikipad_when_software_in_the_cloud_goes_sour/

and one from June ...
http://ferociouspixie.blogspot.com/2008/06/stikipad-is-lame-duck-company.html

Magic 8 Ball says "outlook not so good"
I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that
be a lesson to you!)

Might I recommend using Webby for your wiki and keeping your website
in a git repository hosed on github. You'll always have a local copy
of the wiki in your git repo, and you can host the wiki on any server
you choose. Just a thought
Does anyone know anyone involved with this company? Is there any hope
of salvaging my lost work?

Magic 8 Ball says "no".
Also, I am surprised they could not keep the business afloat. Even if
they weren't turning any profits, I would expect they could at least
bring in enough revenue to keep the site running. If Stikipad has
thrown in the towel for good, I for one would be interested in buying
up the their software assets on the cheap (something is better than
nothing, right?) and restarting the service.

Sounds like they were not responding to their customers. Business is
not going to work with that kind of attitude.

Blessings,
TwP

Ken Bloom

Does anyone know anything about what happened to Stikipad? This was a
very nice Ruby-based wiki site that offered free accounts to light users
as well as commercial offerings for heavy users. Unfortunately they seem
to have gone belly up without so much as whisper of warning to their
users.

I have lost a substantial amount of work that I had hosted there. If
only I was notified, I would have backed it all up locally. (Let that be
a lesson to you!)

Try to recover what you can from the Internet Archive's way back machine,
and the Google cache.

Trans

Found this blog post from May of this year ....http://mentalized.net/jour= nal/2008/05/27/stikipad_when_software_in_th...

and one from June ...http://ferociouspixie.blogspot.com/2008/06/stikipad-= is-lame-duck-comp...

Magic 8 Ball says "outlook not so good"

Might I recommend using Webby for your wiki and keeping your website
in a git repository hosed on github. You'll always have a local copy
of the wiki in your git repo, and you can host the wiki on any server
you choose. Just a thought

Magic 8 Ball says "no".

Sounds like they were not responding to their customers. Business is
not going to work with that kind of attitude.

Thanks Tim. Apparently a one Johnathon George is responsible (DNS
register). His twitter page is: http://twitter.com/jdg. I love this
tweet:

"Man, I've messed up a lot over the last few years. 2:08 AM Nov 26th
from web"

Why is this guy just ignoring everyone? You'd think he at least make
the data temporarily available so people could download their stuff.
Or did he accidentally delete it all and doesn't want to own up to it?
That's all I can think of. Just the same, I'm a very forgiving person.
Lord knows I have my share of f*ups, but to just totally abandon so
many people without so much as a word? I'm sorry, but this guy, and
whomever else is responsible, should be sued.

T.

Trans

Try to recover what you can from the Internet Archive's way back machine,
and the Google cache.

Unfortunately I don't think that's possible, it was password protected
content.

T.

Martin DeMello

Might I recommend using Webby for your wiki and keeping your website
in a git repository hosed on github. You'll always have a local copy
of the wiki in your git repo, and you can host the wiki on any server
you choose. Just a thought

http://atonie.org/2008/02/git-wiki is another option along the same
lines (much as I love webby, it's nice to have wiki-specific features
built-in)

martin

Trans

Has anyone considered a class action suite?