    Any thoughts on what I should say?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Roedy Green <> horrified us with:

    > I would like to write an entry for the Java glossary on the nio
    > classes. I have no experience with them.
    >
    > I'd like to give an overview of what they are for, when to use them,
    > when not, the major gotchas.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what I should say?

    They can be used in place of anything else in java.io, and /should/ be for
    that matter.

    Most of the java.io classes were designed around the Decorator pattern.
    Building a protocol stack of sorts: various layers adding to what you need
    for io.

    In addition to being very cumbersome to write, (java.io /was/ a little
    fingertip unfriendly), this is a very inefficient mechanism for io. In
    contrast, nio is an optimized non-decorator approach. You have buffers at
    the bottom level. You hand buffers off to "channels" which represent the
    i/o connections.

    You'll find that nio has found itsway into other packages as well, so that
    things such as socket i/o can be managed with channels.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 29, 2003