NIO read() SocketChannel EOF End of Stream

Fritz Bayer

Hello,

I have read in the javadoc of the NIO API that the read() method of
SockeChannel returns a -1 when the end of stream is reached.

I can confirm this. After a connection has been idle for a while and
no data has been sent successive calls to the read() method of
SocketChannel yield a -1.

My question now is what the -1 excatly means. I know that it for sure
means that I can't read any data from the SocketChannel anymore. So
far, so good.

However, I'm not certain what it means for the output channel. Can I
still write data using the put() method to the SocketChannel?

Does the the -1 signal a closed connection in both directions? Or does
it only mean that you can't read anymore but can still write data?

The later would also mean that a -1 does not signal a closed
connection in the sense that there is not network connection at all
anymore.

It would be great if a -1 would signal a close of the connection in
both directions, but I'm not sure about it and it makes a big
difference.

What's you opinion on this?

Fritz

iksrazal

Hello,

My question now is what the -1 excatly means. I know that it for sure
means that I can't read any data from the SocketChannel anymore. So
far, so good.

However, I'm not certain what it means for the output channel. Can I
still write data using the put() method to the SocketChannel?

Does the the -1 signal a closed connection in both directions? Or does
it only mean that you can't read anymore but can still write data?

Step back a second and think not about a single SocketChannel, but
that by using a Selector with a SocketChannel, you can create other
helper objects from the java API such as ReadableByteChannel. You then
close only the ReadableByteChannel instance on EOF.

For example, I have a cache of open client socket connections. They do
read and write operations. On a read, I pass the socket channel
instance to a method that does something like the code below, allowing
for subsequent other read/write operations:

public static String readFromChannel (SocketChannel sChannel,
final int size) throws IOException
{
int numBytes = -1;
boolean hasRead = false;
CharsetDecoder decoder = ascii.newDecoder();
ByteBuffer inBuffer = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(size);
CharBuffer charBuffer = CharBuffer.allocate(size+100);
StringBuffer dataRead = new StringBuffer();
//Use Selector for activity readiness
Selector selector = Selector.open();
// Register read activity on socket
sChannel.register(selector, SelectionKey.OP_READ);
// Read response with 20000 mililiseconds timeout
//IMPORTANT! this time limit can be overridden by
java.utl.timer,
//set in the invoking class, which therefore could interrupt the
channel
//and cause a read timeout less that 20000 milliseconds
//This behavior is more predictable if this read timeout is
_LESS_
//then the java.util.Timer timeout used by the current thread of
the
//invoking object of this method
while (selector.select(20000) > 0)
{
// Get set of ready objects
Set readyKeys = selector.selectedKeys();
Iterator readyItor = readyKeys.iterator();
// Walk through set
while (readyItor.hasNext())
{
// Get key from set
SelectionKey key = (SelectionKey)readyItor.next();
// Remove current entry
readyItor.remove();
// Get channel
ReadableByteChannel keyChannel =
(SocketChannel)key.channel();
if (key.isReadable())
{
// Read what's ready in response
// Think this little loop is odd? Well it is. The reason
for it
// is because TCP stacks have a tendency to activate with
only 1 byte
// available, and a subsequent read immediately gets the
rest of the data.
// Very annoying, and this leads to us in the common sense
scenario with
// non-blocking to have to inject multiple READ events for
no good reason.
// This little loop tries the read again if it didn't
complete the first
// time around, and provides a noticable performance
boost.
for (int i = 0; ; i++)
{
numBytes += keyChannel.read (inBuffer);
if (numBytes < 0)
{
keyChannel.close();
throw new IOException ("Socket lost connection during
read operation");
}
//loop until buffer full
if (!inBuffer.hasRemaining())
{
//just in case - good for debugging
hasRead = true;
System.out.println("has read");
System.out.println("SUCCESSFUL, length of data read: "
+ numBytes);
// Make buffer readable
inBuffer.flip();
// Decode buffer
decoder.decode(inBuffer, charBuffer, false);
// Make buffer readable
charBuffer.flip();
// Build and return string recieved
return dataRead.append(charBuffer).toString();
}
//one byte trick as described above
if (i >= 2)
{
break;
}
}//end for loop
}//end key.isReadable()
}//end while iterator
}//end while selector

if (false == hasRead)
{
System.err.println("has _NOT_ read");
System.err.println("length of data read: " + numBytes);
System.err.println("length of data expected to read: " +
size);
System.err.println("ERROR, data read: " +
dataRead.append(charBuffer).toString());

throw new IOException ("Socket read operation timed out");
}
else
{
throw new IOException ("Invalid Read Socket state");

OK so notice I only close the ReadableByteChannel object keyChannel on
an unexpected condition, but that still wouldn't close the
SocketChannel object passed into the method. Its more common in books
like the O'reilly NIO one to get a SelectionKey from a SocketChannel
like I did above, pass that into a method, create another
SocketChannel from that, and then close only that helper SocketChannel
on EOF. You might be able to find a clearer example from googling on
Selector and SocketChannel.

As a side note, I graciously lifted the 'funky for loop' above from
the emberio project liscensed under bsd. The performance is indeed
quite good and works well if you know how many bytes to read. I
suppose with small modifications using a terminating string or simply
an EOF would work as well.

HTH

Outsource to an American programmer living in brazil!
http://www.braziloutsource.com/
iksrazal

[...]

OK, there was a couple of problems with my last post. I guess we both
(hopefully) benefit because I learned something along the way.

1) Closing the ReadableByteChannel in the example code (right before
the return) does indeed close the original SocketChannel. I tried it
and any read/write operations after that will throw
ClosedChannelException. In my case I never recieve an EOF due to the
protocol I'm working with.

2) The counter of numBytes was wrong. Looking at it after the post, it
should be:

int count = 0;
if ((count = keyChannel.read (inBuffer)) < 0) // EOF
{
keyChannel.close();
throw new IOException ("Socket lost connection during read
operation");
}
numBytes += count;

As I said I don't have an easy way to test that. I'll try to test it a
bit later today and I'll post any changes.

[...]

Thanks for the comments. However, I'm still not sure what the -1
excatly signals. Does it mean we can't read AND write anymore or does
it mean that we can't read BUT still can write data, which would mean
that the network connection is still established?

Gordon Beaton

Thanks for the comments. However, I'm still not sure what the -1
excatly signals. Does it mean we can't read AND write anymore or
does it mean that we can't read BUT still can write data, which
would mean that the network connection is still established?

A TCP connection consists of two independent streams, one in each
direction. If read() indicates EOF, it does not necessarily mean that
the connection has been terminated, although that is often the case.

It may still be possible to write to the remaining stream. Note that
write() can indicate EOF too.

Look up e.g. Socket.shutdownOutput(), or the shutdown() system call.

A typical use of this feature is when a client sends a request to a
server, then uses shutdown() to indicate EOF to the server. The server
can then send the response on the same connection, then use close() to
indicate EOF to the client.

/gordon

iksrazal

Gordon Beaton said:
A TCP connection consists of two independent streams, one in each
direction. If read() indicates EOF, it does not necessarily mean that
the connection has been terminated, although that is often the case.

It may still be possible to write to the remaining stream. Note that
write() can indicate EOF too.

Look up e.g. Socket.shutdownOutput(), or the shutdown() system call.

A typical use of this feature is when a client sends a request to a
server, then uses shutdown() to indicate EOF to the server. The server
can then send the response on the same connection, then use close() to
indicate EOF to the client.

/gordon

This clarification actually helped me quite alot with a problem I was
having - thank you. I glanced over the javadoc of shutdownOutput() but
failed to realize its significance. It incidently led led to a very
interesting relationship between java.net.Socket and
java.nio.SocketChannel I was not aware of.

My problem is that I am caching open socketChannels for re-use on the
client side. The protocol I'm working with allows it. However, calling
SocketChannel.close() somehow still left the server thinking the
connection was open. Your explanation led to this code which suprised
me:

SocketChannel target = (SocketChannel) socketCache.get(ii);
//ArrayList
try
{
if (null != target)
{
Socket socket = target.socket();
socket.shutdownOutput();
socket.shutdownInput();
socket.close();
target.close();
target = null;
socket = null;

I was thinking SocketChannel and nio was completely seperate from the
old Socket class. Guess again.

As a side note, the code I posted before had a nasty file descriptor
leak due to not closing the Selector. Even the shutdownOutput() code
above didn't fix it. Here's the revised code in case anyone googles on
it:

public static String readFromChannel (SocketChannel sChannel,
final int size) throws IOException
{
int numBytes = 0;
[...]
// VERY IMPORTANT!!! This Selector _MUST_ be
cancelled, or it will
// create a file descriptor leak
selector.close();
// Build and return string recieved
return dataRead.append(charBuffer).toString();
}
//one byte trick as described above
if (i >= 2)
{
break;
}
}//end for loop
}//end key.isReadable()
}//end while iterator
}//end while selector

if (false == hasRead)
{
System.err.println("has _NOT_ read");
System.err.println("length of data read: " + numBytes);
System.err.println("length of data read: " + numBytes);
if (numBytes > 0)
{
// Make buffer readable
inBuffer.flip();
// Decode buffer
decoder.decode(inBuffer, charBuffer, false);
// Make buffer readable
charBuffer.flip();
System.err.println("ERROR, data read: " +
dataRead.append(charBuffer).toString());
}
throw new IOException ("Socket read operation timed out");
}
else
{
throw new IOException ("Invalid Read Socket state");
}
}//end try
finally
{
// Guarantee the closure of the Selector, preventing a file
descriptor leak
// If already closed this will have no effect. If a "too many
open files"
// error occurs, a linux 'lsof | wc -l' command should show a
growing
// list of files open, possibly indicating an unclosed
selector with Keys
// that have not been 'deregistered' according to the Selector
javadocs
// Note that a simple SocketChannel.close() will _not_
deregister the keys
selector.close();

iksrazal

Fritz Bayer

Gordon Beaton said:
A TCP connection consists of two independent streams, one in each
direction. If read() indicates EOF, it does not necessarily mean that
the connection has been terminated, although that is often the case.

It may still be possible to write to the remaining stream. Note that
write() can indicate EOF too.

Look up e.g. Socket.shutdownOutput(), or the shutdown() system call.

A typical use of this feature is when a client sends a request to a
server, then uses shutdown() to indicate EOF to the server. The server
can then send the response on the same connection, then use close() to
indicate EOF to the client.

/gordon

I'm writting a HTTP proxy and for this purpose I trying to figure out
what the -1 really means.

Until now I have been closing the connection of the client when I read
a -1. If the above said would be true, I could not close the
connection then, because the client could send a minus -1 after a HTTP
"Connection Header: Close", which signals the last HTTP Transaction.
If then close the connection I could not write the reponse from the
server back to the client.

But how could I ever notice a connection close by the client, if the
-1 does not signal a close? I mean then I would have no way of knowing
if the connection is established or not?

Gordon Beaton

I'm writting a HTTP proxy and for this purpose I trying to figure
out what the -1 really means.

Until now I have been closing the connection of the client when I
read a -1. If the above said would be true, I could not close the
connection then, because the client could send a minus -1 after a
HTTP "Connection Header: Close", which signals the last HTTP
Transaction. If then close the connection I could not write the
reponse from the server back to the client.

I fail to see how your comments show that what I wrote isn't true. Of
course if you close the connection, you won't be able to write the
subsequent response.

If read() indicates EOF, it indicates end of file on that particular
stream only (which will be the case if shutdown() was used). If the
connection was closed, then both streams will be at EOF, and also
write() will indicate EOF.
But how could I ever notice a connection close by the client, if the
-1 does not signal a close? I mean then I would have no way of
knowing if the connection is established or not?

As I said in my earlier response: if read() signals EOF, the client
may have used shutdown (e.g. Socket.shutdownOutput()). That does not
terminate the connection, it only terminates his outgoing stream. If
that's the case, you can still write in the reverse direction.

If the client sent "Connection Header: Close", then close the
connection *after* sending the response.

If the client actually closed the connection after sending the
request, then you can only assume that he isn't interested in the
reqponse. You'll detect that when you attempt to write.

/gordon

Fritz Bayer

Gordon Beaton said:
I fail to see how your comments show that what I wrote isn't true. Of
course if you close the connection, you won't be able to write the
subsequent response.

If read() indicates EOF, it indicates end of file on that particular
stream only (which will be the case if shutdown() was used). If the
connection was closed, then both streams will be at EOF, and also
write() will indicate EOF.

As I said in my earlier response: if read() signals EOF, the client
may have used shutdown (e.g. Socket.shutdownOutput()). That does not
terminate the connection, it only terminates his outgoing stream. If
that's the case, you can still write in the reverse direction.

This actually seems not to be correct. I checked it out by putting
some assert statements into the code. You might wanna try this as
well:

if (bytesRead == -1)
{
assert !socketChannel.isConnected() : " The client's SocketChannel
is still connected!" ;

assert socketChannel.socket().isInputShutdown() : " The client's
Input Stream is still open";

assert socketChannel.socket().isOutputShutdown() : " The client's
Output Stream is still open";
}

The last assert never fails. This confirms what you have said before:
A EOF does not necessarily shutdown the output stream.

This is also confirmed by the second assert statement. I sometimes
failes - the connection is still there.

However, now something really unexpected happens. Also the first
assert statement sometimes fails!

So I get a -1 from the SocketChannel.read() and then afterwards
calling socketChannel.socket().isInputShutdown() returns false!

What do you think? How can this be - it also is to the contrary of
what you have explained before?

Gordon Beaton

[...]

Don't be confused by the behaviour of isConnected() and
isInputShutdown(). They don't actually say anything about the state of
the underlying connection, they only tell you about the state of the
Socket object itself, i.e. whether connect() or shutdownInput() have
been called.

In particular, these methods won't tell you what the application at
the *other* end of the connection has done with his socket.

Have a look at the source code for the Socket class, it's provided
with the JDK.
What do you think? How can this be - it also is to the contrary of
what you have explained before?

It is *only* by reading or writing that you can determine whether it
is possible to read or write. That's the nature of TCP, and it has
nothing to do with Java.

/gordon

Fritz Bayer

Gordon Beaton said:
Don't be confused by the behaviour of isConnected() and
isInputShutdown(). They don't actually say anything about the state of
the underlying connection, they only tell you about the state of the
Socket object itself, i.e. whether connect() or shutdownInput() have
been called.

The point is that you said after receiving a -1 the InputStream is
closed and a call to isInputShutdown() returns false. But that is not
the case. It's simply not true.
In particular, these methods won't tell you what the application at
the *other* end of the connection has done with his socket.

Of course, but that again has nothing to do with what I have said or
asked. I was asking for what the -1 means.

You explained that it means the input stream was closed - but that's
not the case, because calling isInputShutdown() right after receiving
the -1 returns false.
Have a look at the source code for the Socket class, it's provided
with the JDK.

It is *only* by reading or writing that you can determine whether it
is possible to read or write. That's the nature of TCP, and it has
nothing to do with Java.

I have never seen write() to return a -1. Where do you get this from?
To test this I put in some assertion code, which aborts the program
after a -1. I haven't gotten any.

Gordon Beaton

The point is that you said after receiving a -1 the InputStream is
closed and a call to isInputShutdown() returns false. But that is
not the case. It's simply not true.

I didn't say that.

What I said is that read() will indicate EOF on the input stream only.
The writer may have called close() or shutdown() at his end, but
read() does not give you enough information to tell which.

I also did not say that isInputShutdown() could be used to tell. In
fact I said that it *couldn't* be used, since it doesn't actually say
anything about the underlying socket.
Of course, but that again has nothing to do with what I have said or
asked. I was asking for what the -1 means.

I'll say it again:

When read() returns -1, it means that EOF has been reached on the
input stream. Nothing more, nothing less. From that alone you cannot
determine whether the remote closed the socket or just shutdown his
outgoing stream, and methods like isInputShutdown() or isConnected()
will not help you here either.

It may still be possible to write, but you need to call write() to
find out.
You explained that it means the input stream was closed - but that's
not the case, because calling isInputShutdown() right after
receiving the -1 returns false.

Once again, isInputShutdown() says nothing about the actual state of
the underlying connection. If the remote called shutdown or close, you
can't tell the difference except by reading and writing.

If read() returns -1, then you have reached the end of the input
stream.
I have never seen write() to return a -1. Where do you get this
from?

I never said that write returns -1. I said that write can indicate
EOF. If we are still talking about Java, OutputStream.write() will
raise an exception when attempting to write past EOF. (In C, write()
can and does return -1 when you attempt to write past EOF, modulo
SIGPIPE issues).
To test this I put in some assertion code, which aborts the program
after a -1. I haven't gotten any.

I really wonder what that assertion looks like, considering that
OutputStream.write() returns void. Are we talking about Java?

At this point I realize that I am repeating myself, and since I don't
care to take part in a discussion about what I did or did not say,
this will be my last post in this thread.

My main points were:

- when read() indicates EOF, it does not necessarily mean that the
connection has been broken.

- even after read() has indicated EOF, it may still be possible to
write in the reverse direction. write() will indicate EOF if that
isn't the case.

- isConnected() and isInputShutdown() cannot be relied upon to say
anything meaningful about the state of the actual connection.

It is up to you whether you find these statements helpful or not.

/gordon

Fritz Bayer

Gordon Beaton said:
[...]

I find the whole thread kind of helpful:) Ok, now I got what you are
saying. One last question so.

If the EOF has been reached on the InputStream, then do you think the
follwing swill always be the case?

isConnected() == false || isInputShutdown() == true

Esmond Pitt

If the EOF has been reached on the InputStream, then do you think the
follwing swill always be the case?

isConnected() == false || isInputShutdown() == true

No. isConnected() and isInputShutdown() only tell you which APIs *you*
have called in this JVM, nothing about what the other end has done. As
Gordon said about three times.

Andrew Thompson

As Gordon said about three times.

...hmmm. Slight grammatical quibble there Esmond.
I think that should perhaps read..

<proper exclamation>
'As Gordon said about three times, ..sheeeesh!'
</proper exclamation> ;-)

Esmond Pitt

Fritz said:
Do you mean methods?

As it's the same thing in this case, the question is futile.

The point Gordon & I are making is, don't expect the *API* to tell you
the state of the *protocol*. There is no TCP/IP API which tells you
that, other than the read and write APIs.