Nitro Screencasts

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by George Moschovitis, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Dear devs,

    while fixing the final issues for the 0.26.0 release I took some time
    to experiment with
    vnc2swf to create some screen casts for Nitro / Og. Nitro is a
    sophisticated Web2.0 framework that utilizes Ruby and Javascript and
    Og is an innovative, transparent and efficient ORM library.

    You can find the first two screen casts here:

    http://www.nitrohq.com/view/Videos

    These two videos are experimental and certainly don't demonstrate the
    full power of Nitro and
    Og (far from it). But I hope you will like them anyway ;-) Stay tuned
    for more impressive screen casts real soon!

    For more information on Nitro/Og surf www.nitrohq.com or install the gem:

    gem install nitro

    best regards,
    George.

    --
    http://www.gmosx.com
    http://www.navel.gr
    George Moschovitis, Dec 20, 2005

  2. George Moschovitis

    Jim Freeze Guest

    On 12/20/05, George Moschovitis <> wrote:

    > You can find the first two screen casts here:
    >
    > http://www.nitrohq.com/view/Videos

    What exactly am I supposed to see here?
    Safari just shows a mostly blank page except
    for a title with a double underline and the text
    "generated by pyvnc2swf-0.8.1"

    --
    Jim Freeze
    Jim Freeze, Dec 20, 2005

  3. George Moschovitis

    Jim Freeze Guest

    Ok, Firefox seems to work. Wonder why Safari doesn't.

    --
    Jim Freeze
    Jim Freeze, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Haven't tested with Safari, I have no access to a Mac (waiting for the
    new intel based models). Glad to know that it works with firefox on
    Mac.

    -g.

    --
    http://www.gmosx.com
    http://www.navel.gr
    George Moschovitis, Dec 20, 2005
  5. On Dec 20, 2005, at 9:19 AM, George Moschovitis wrote:

    > Haven't tested with Safari, I have no access to a Mac (waiting for the
    > new intel based models). Glad to know that it works with firefox on
    > Mac.
    >
    > -g.
    >
    > On 12/20/05, Jim Freeze <> wrote:
    >> Ok, Firefox seems to work. Wonder why Safari doesn't.
    >>

    >> On 12/20/05, Jim Freeze <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> What exactly am I supposed to see here?
    >>> Safari just shows a mostly blank page except
    >>> for a title with a double underline and the text
    >>> "generated by pyvnc2swf-0.8.1"

    Shiira 1.1 here (WebKit based browser). It did take a little while to
    load, but it played the movie fine. Didn't actually try it in "real"
    Safari.
    Logan Capaldo, Dec 20, 2005
  6. George Moschovitis

    pat eyler Guest

    On 12/20/05, George Moschovitis <> wrote:
    > Dear devs,
    >
    > while fixing the final issues for the 0.26.0 release I took some time
    > to experiment with
    > vnc2swf to create some screen casts for Nitro / Og. Nitro is a
    > sophisticated Web2.0 framework that utilizes Ruby and Javascript and
    > Og is an innovative, transparent and efficient ORM library.
    >
    > You can find the first two screen casts here:

    Very nice. I'm convinced enough to go and build a toy with Nitro to
    see where things go. This might work out well for some legacy DBs
    I need to play nicely with.

    > http://www.nitrohq.com/view/Videos
    >
    > These two videos are experimental and certainly don't demonstrate the
    > full power of Nitro and
    > Og (far from it). But I hope you will like them anyway ;-) Stay tuned
    > for more impressive screen casts real soon!

    Sounds like a winner! Good luck with them.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Dec 20, 2005
  7. > Very nice. I'm convinced enough to go and build a toy with Nitro to
    > see where things go. This might work out well for some legacy DBs

    Go ahead!

    But remember, Nitro is not a toy, but a full featured web framework
    for real world applications.

    -g.

    --
    http://www.gmosx.com
    http://www.navel.gr
    George Moschovitis, Dec 20, 2005
  8. George Moschovitis

    pat eyler Guest

    On 12/20/05, George Moschovitis <> wrote:
    > > Very nice. I'm convinced enough to go and build a toy with Nitro to
    > > see where things go. This might work out well for some legacy DBs

    > Go ahead!
    >
    > But remember, Nitro is not a toy, but a full featured web framework
    > for real world applications.

    I didn't mean to imply that Nitro was a toy. It's just that I
    understand things
    better when I've built a toy or to in them. Then I can go on to build some=
    thing
    real.

    BTW, I just dropped a blog post at http://ablog.apress.com/?p=3D820 --
    hopefully that will point a couple of eyes your way.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Dec 20, 2005
  9. George Moschovitis

    Jeff Wood Guest

    ------=_Part_2916_32192337.1135097315329

    ... So is Rails, and the thing that helped build it's user base as a 10
    minute video showing how to build a toy todo list ....

    If it can build big things then it can build small things ... People need a
    way in.

    Since there is so little documentation, they really need SOMETHING that
    shows them how....

    I think a screencast is a great idea ...

    Anyways, that's my $0.02

    j.

    --
    "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"

    Jeff Wood

    ------=_Part_2916_32192337.1135097315329--
    Jeff Wood, Dec 20, 2005
  10. George Moschovitis, Dec 20, 2005
  11. > Since there is so little documentation, they really need SOMETHING that
    > shows them how....

    Be assured, there will be more screencasts. However, I plan to
    demonstrate more sophisticated concepts (especially some of the
    advanced features of Og that are simply not available in AR).

    regards,
    George.

    --
    http://www.gmosx.com
    http://www.navel.gr
    George Moschovitis, Dec 20, 2005
  12. George Moschovitis

    pat eyler Guest

    On 12/20/05, George Moschovitis <> wrote:
    > > Since there is so little documentation, they really need SOMETHING that
    > > shows them how....

    > Be assured, there will be more screencasts. However, I plan to
    > demonstrate more sophisticated concepts (especially some of the
    > advanced features of Og that are simply not available in AR).

    Make sure you get both the high end and the low end. I'd love to see
    a series of progressive screen casts that showed an app going from
    simple to complex, with little side trips to do things like AJAX.

    -pate

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Dec 20, 2005
  13. Works fine in Safari for me. Nice job George.

    -Ezra

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Dec 20, 2005
  14. --nextPart1240370.RuLXLBXOka

    Hey George,

    Said it in IRC already, but have to repeat it:

    The Videos rock!
    (this is because of:)
    Nitro rocks!
    (wich partly is based on)
    Og rocks!

    Well, this is very much what i had to say :)

    MfG
    manveru

    Michael Fellinger, Dec 21, 2005
  15. > simple to complex, with little side trips to do things like AJAX.

    Ok, will do an AJAX demonstration next week. Ajax effects are so easy
    to do with Nitro, thanks to the integration of Behaviour, Prototype
    and Scriptaculous.

    regards,
    George.

    --
    http://www.gmosx.com
    http://www.navel.gr
    George Moschovitis, Dec 21, 2005
  16. George Moschovitis

    Jeff Wood Guest

    --------------010105070705010903050800

    George Moschovitis wrote:

    >>simple to complex, with little side trips to do things like AJAX.
    >>

    >Ok, will do an AJAX demonstration next week. Ajax effects are so easy
    >to do with Nitro, thanks to the integration of Behaviour, Prototype
    >and Scriptaculous.
    >
    >regards,
    >George.
    >
    >--
    >http://www.gmosx.com
    >http://www.navel.gr
    >http://www.nitrohq.com

    George,

    Just finished watching the casts ... they rock ... very cool....

    Good job.

    j.

    --------------010105070705010903050800--
    Jeff Wood, Dec 21, 2005
  17. George Moschovitis

    m4dc4p Guest

    Impressive! I've looked at Nitro before but did not get the sense it
    was capable of the things demonstrated.

    Towards the end of the first video you show some sort of "form_helper"
    being included, but it doesn't seem to actually work. You might want to
    complete and/or remove that portion. I was certainly intrigued.

    In the second video the "Nitro::Element" stuff looked really cool. That
    definitely made me want to check out what you've done!

    m4dc4p, Dec 21, 2005
  18. > Towards the end of the first video you show some sort of "form_helper"
    > being included, but it doesn't seem to actually work. You might want to
    > complete and/or remove that portion. I was certainly intrigued.

    Of course it works. Moreover, the underlying scaffolder handles
    relations (has_many, many_to_many, etc) along with properties,
    supports pluggable controls, searching, and more...

    regards,
    George.

    --
    http://www.gmosx.com