nl_langinfo - problem

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Adam Smith, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. Adam Smith

    Adam Smith Guest

    UNIX FreeBSD -V 4.9 O/S, i386 arch, Perl -V 5.8.2 Installation

    I've just installed a program w/ a PERL API. Now, on launching Perl, I
    get the following error message

    /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2/mach/CORE/libperl.so: Undefined symbol
    "nl_langinfo"

    Can't even run the debugger,

    Running ==> ldd /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2/mach/CORE/libperl.so
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2/mach/CORE/libperl.so:
    libm.so.2 => /root/usr/lib/libm.so.2 (0x281f8000)
    libcrypt.so.2 => /root/usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2 (0x28214000)
    libutil.so.3 => /root/usr/lib/libutil.so.3 (0x2822d000)
    libc.so.4 => /root/usr/lib/libc.so.4 (0x28072000)

    Anyone with a recommendation or solution?

    Adam Smith, Jun 24, 2006

  2. Adam Smith

    Ben Morrow Guest

    [newsgroups truncated and f'ups set]

    Quoth Adam Smith <>:
    > UNIX FreeBSD -V 4.9 O/S, i386 arch, Perl -V 5.8.2 Installation

    Please don't start a new thread with the same question: continue with
    the one you had.

    Please don't cross-post to so many groups: pick one that's most relevant
    (clpm in this case).

    If you have a valid reason for cross-posting, please set followups.

    Please don't post to comp.lang.perl: it doesn't exist.

    Ben

    --
    Like all men in Babylon I have been a proconsul; like all, a slave ... During
    one lunar year, I have been declared invisible; I shrieked and was not heard,

    Ben Morrow, Jun 24, 2006

  3. Adam Smith

    Adam Smith Guest

    Well, I have always had issues with some of the proverbial "netiquette"
    concepts that appear out of the ether ad infinitum. At the same time
    I'll be the first to admit ignorance and am receptive to education on
    the rationale behind some of the edicts. I would hope that there is some
    mirroring rationale for these as in the social world, even though
    idiosyncratic and esoteric.

    Ben Morrow wrote:

    > [newsgroups truncated and f'ups set]

    What is "truncated and f'ups set" and how is this set?

    > Quoth Adam Smith <>:
    >
    >>UNIX FreeBSD -V 4.9 O/S, i386 arch, Perl -V 5.8.2 Installation

    > Please don't start a new thread with the same question: continue with
    > the one you had.

    Well, I was adding a significantly new perspective to the question,
    person who may have bypassed it previously may have an input based on
    the new realization.

    Is there a cuttoff period for this, is it arbitrarily set? Ex: If I have
    a question that could be linked to a previous post made in 1995, am I
    bound to post under that 11 yr old thread. And I do have posts made in 1995.

    Do you recall, 'gopher' and 'veronica' etc?

    > Please don't cross-post to so many groups: pick one that's most relevant
    > (clpm in this case).

    ONE! Sounds like a 'religious' mantra, I did not use all perl groups. I
    choose those that appeared applicable and would have attracted responses
    from persons with likely know how.

    And from the "multitude" of responses received I have not been very
    successful either. You were the only one responding so far after many days.

    For a chronological recall:
    First I thought this was an isolated script problem
    [ii] Then it seemed to be Perl system problem
    [iii]Now it seems that there may even be an O/S connection or twist to
    the problem. Can I post to free BSD lists also? or should I restrict
    myself to a single perl list

    > If you have a valid reason for cross-posting, please set followups.

    I hope the reasons cited above are actual reasons first and then valid
    reasons too
    I addressed the set followups issue earlier
    Is there a "netiquette newsgroup or list" somewhere?

    > Please don't post to comp.lang.perl: it doesn't exist.

    Odd, it still comes in on my ISP Newsfeed, with several thousands
    messages, the last excluding mine => 6/21/06 9:31 AM

    > Ben

    Thanks

    PS: Can I Post to freeBSD in light of current realization, can I do a
    cross posting or can I create a new thread?

    Adam Smith, Jun 25, 2006
  4. Adam Smith

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Adam Smith <>:
    > Ben Morrow wrote:
    >
    > > [newsgroups truncated and f'ups set]
    > >

    > What is "truncated and f'ups set" and how is this set?

    I truncated the list of newsgroups in your article to clpmisc. I also
    set the 'Followup-To:' header: how you do this depends on your client.

    > > Quoth Adam Smith <>:
    > >
    > >>UNIX FreeBSD -V 4.9 O/S, i386 arch, Perl -V 5.8.2 Installation

    > > Please don't start a new thread with the same question: continue with
    > > the one you had.
    > >

    > Well, I was adding a significantly new perspective to the question,
    > person who may have bypassed it previously may have an input based on
    > the new realization.

    No, you weren't. What you posted was a direct answer to my question.
    IIRC you actually posted the same article twice, once as a reply and
    once as a new thread: anyone who's going to ignore your reply is also
    going to ignore your new thread, they'll just think your trying to force
    them to take notice of you. This is not very polite.

    > Is there a cuttoff period for this, is it arbitrarily set?

    No. Use your common sense.

    > Do you recall, 'gopher' and 'veronica' etc?

    No, I'm not that old.

    > > Please don't cross-post to so many groups: pick one that's most relevant
    > > (clpm in this case).
    > >

    > ONE! Sounds like a 'religious' mantra, I did not use all perl groups. I
    > choose those that appeared applicable and would have attracted responses
    > from persons with likely know how.

    Such as... comp.lang.perl.modules? perl.beginners.cgi? How are those in
    any way more relevant than clpmisc?

    Since it's likely a system question rather than a perl one (though you
    may not have known that), comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc or some such may
    have been appropriate.

    Also, crossposting to alt.* is generally unwelcome here.

    > And from the "multitude" of responses received I have not been very
    > successful either. You were the only one responding so far after many days.

    Well, a lot of people here simply killfile large cross-posts. They are
    almost always trolls like Xah Lee.

    > > If you have a valid reason for cross-posting, please set followups.
    > >

    > I hope the reasons cited above are actual reasons first and then valid
    > reasons too
    > I addressed the set followups issue earlier

    No, you said you didn't know how to do it. Ignorance is no excuse, when
    answers are so easy to find.

    > Is there a "netiquette newsgroup or list" somewhere?

    Google for it.

    Ben

    --
    Every twenty-four hours about 34k children die from the effects of poverty.
    Meanwhile, the latest estimate is that 2800 people died on 9/11, so it's like

    Ben Morrow, Jun 25, 2006
  5. Adam Smith <> wrote:

    > Well, I have always had issues with some of the proverbial "netiquette"
    > concepts that appear out of the ether ad infinitum.

    So long then.

    > At the same time
    > I'll be the first to admit ignorance and am receptive to education on
    > the rationale behind some of the edicts.

    You will only display good manners if the underlying reason for
    good manners is _first_ explained to your satisfaction?

    A more productive approach would be to use good manners even if you
    don't see why, because many folks tire of explaining it over and
    over, and will simply ignore you forevermore as the path of least
    resistance.

    > I would hope that there is some
    > mirroring rationale for these as in the social world,

    If by "social world" you mean apart from Usenet, then what happens
    in other societies is irrelevant to what happens in the Usenet society.

    > even though
    > idiosyncratic and esoteric.

    The rules of netiquette are not arbitrary, same as the rules of
    etiquette in the "social world".

    They become "rules" via a Darwinian "survival of the fittest".

    Rules that avoid problems or make newsgroups run more smoothly live
    long enough to become widely adopted. Those that don't deliver an
    appropriate payoff die off.

    > Ben Morrow wrote:
    >
    >> [newsgroups truncated and f'ups set]
    >>

    > What is "truncated and f'ups set" and how is this set?

    By modifying the Newsgroups and Followup-To headers.

    > And from the "multitude" of responses received I have not been very
    > successful either. You were the only one responding so far after many days.

    By your followup that I am now replying to, you have very likely
    increased the odds of that unfavorable outcome for both this thread
    and all of your future threads.

    Hope the venting was worth it.

    > Is there a "netiquette newsgroup or list" somewhere?

    news.announce.newusers
    news.newusers
    news.newusers.questions

    There are some further links in the Posting Guidelines that are
    posted here frequently.

    >> Please don't post to comp.lang.perl: it doesn't exist.

    > Odd, it still comes in on my ISP Newsfeed, with several thousands
    > messages, the last excluding mine => 6/21/06 9:31 AM

    Having an ISP that doesn't properly maintain their news server is
    not odd at all, it is all too common.

    comp.lang.perl was rmgroup'd 10 years ago, your ISP has not gotten
    that update yet, it would appear. I wonder what other changes over
    the last 10 years you are missing out on?

    You are being ill-served by their continuing to carry it, because you
    think it is a valid place to ask, but the reality is that nobody with
    clue (ie. the people that you *want* to be answering your question)
    reads it anymore.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jun 25, 2006
  6. Adam Smith

    Adam Smith Guest

    This is my last response to this issue: I have no intent to develop a
    'tight pants' sitting on the pinnacle of nonsense and squirming with
    tortured delight.

    Ben Morrow wrote:

    > Quoth Adam Smith <>:
    >
    >>Ben Morrow wrote:
    >>

    >>>[newsgroups truncated and f'ups set]
    >>>

    >>What is "truncated and f'ups set" and how is this set?

    > I truncated the list of newsgroups in your article to clpmisc. I also
    > set the 'Followup-To:' header: how you do this depends on your client.

    >>>Please don't start a new thread with the same question: continue with
    >>>the one you had.
    >>>

    >>Well, I was adding a significantly new perspective to the question,
    >>person who may have bypassed it previously may have an input based on
    >>the new realization.

    > No, you weren't. What you posted was a direct answer to my question.
    > IIRC you actually posted the same article twice, once as a reply and
    > once as a new thread: anyone who's going to ignore your reply is also
    > going to ignore your new thread, they'll just think your trying to force
    > them to take notice of you. This is not very polite.

    Subject to debate, unless of course yours is the only valid one

    My first post rel to a script debugging problem ==>
    grep'ing seems to localize the problem in the libperl.so library

    My second post rel to a systemwide Perl problem rather than a simple
    script debugging problem Of course, it included previous posting
    extracts as it addresses possible wider issues ==>
    Actually discovered that this is an Installation Problem apparently.
    Merely, launching Perl produces the Undefined symbol condition.
    Suggestions sought

    My THIRD POST WILL include an O/S cross posting and exploration of
    possibly clues there

    >>Is there a cuttoff period for this, is it arbitrarily set?

    > No. Use your common sense.

    Apparently, I am severely compromised, challenged or perhaps totally
    lacking in this Department

    >>Do you recall, 'gopher' and 'veronica' etc?

    > No, I'm not that old.

    Bless your soul, a newbie with solutions to all the world's problems.
    Apparently, the universe centers on the newly discovered netiquette and
    appropriate postings

    >>>Please don't cross-post to so many groups: pick one that's most relevant
    >>>(clpm in this case).
    >>>

    >>ONE! Sounds like a 'religious' mantra, I did not use all perl groups. I
    >>choose those that appeared applicable and would have attracted responses
    >>from persons with likely know how.

    > Such as... comp.lang.perl.modules? perl.beginners.cgi? How are those in
    > any way more relevant than clpmisc?

    So only clpmisc is relevant actually it is THE MOST RELEVANT! I shall
    forever remember where homage is to be paid in the future.

    > Since it's likely a system question rather than a perl one (though you
    > may not have known that), comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc or some such may
    > have been appropriate.
    >
    > Also, crossposting to alt.* is generally unwelcome here.

    How am I to know where and with whom you et al. may have had 'fights',
    philosophical and otherwise. Even assuming that knowledge is infused
    universally why should I make 'your fight my fight', all I am seeking is
    an answer to a problem that I have been addressing for over a week, >
    1/52nd of a yr, still a significant fraction of my life

    >>And from the "multitude" of responses received I have not been very
    >>successful either. You were the only one responding so far after many days.

    > Well, a lot of people here simply killfile large cross-posts. They are
    > almost always trolls like Xah Lee.

    Who is Xah Lee

    >>>If you have a valid reason for cross-posting, please set followups.
    >>>

    >>I hope the reasons cited above are actual reasons first and then valid
    >>reasons too
    >>I addressed the set followups issue earlier

    > No, you said you didn't know how to do it. Ignorance is no excuse, when
    > answers are so easy to find.

    Que lastima, as said earlier I do intend to continue developing a normal
    persona, a 'tight pants' and endless wanking about netiquette is not one
    of my options

    >>Is there a "netiquette newsgroup or list" somewhere?

    > Google for it.

    Yes I did, following your advice, didn't see any newsgroup per se, but
    did find a reference to use of Followups with crossposting, of course
    hoping that the responder's ISP provides a NewsFeed to that feed ? They
    did not say it was a no! no!

    This was probably the only significant benefit of this prolong diatribe

    Perhaps you may see the need to set up an Institute of Netequette and
    standardize the Rules & Regulations. I'll call you Mr. Chairman.

    Adam Smith, Jun 25, 2006
  7. Adam Smith

    David Squire Guest

    Adam Smith wrote:
    > This is my last response to this issue: I have no intent to develop a
    > 'tight pants' sitting on the pinnacle of nonsense and squirming with
    > tortured delight.

    Bye Bye Adam.

    That distant sound you can hear is your name hitting the killfiles of
    many, many helpful people.

    David Squire, Jun 25, 2006
  8. Adam Smith <> wrote:

    > This is my last response to this issue: I have no intent to develop a
    > 'tight pants' sitting on the pinnacle of nonsense and squirming with
    > tortured delight.

    If you insist on farting at the dinner table, then don't moan
    when you are no longer invited for dinner.

    If you insist on ignoring netiquette, then don't moan
    when you get a "multitude" of responses.

    You expect to treat people badly, and be treated nicely
    in return? That seems an unreasonable expectation.

    Tad McClellan, Jun 25, 2006
  9. Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth Adam Smith <>:

    > Also, crossposting to alt.* is generally unwelcome here.

    Also also, it is very likely to result in less people seeing
    your question.

    >> And from the "multitude" of responses received I have not been very
    >> successful either. You were the only one responding so far after many days.

    > Well, a lot of people here simply killfile large cross-posts.

    That's why I never saw the thread.

    Tad McClellan, Jun 25, 2006
  10. Adam Smith <> wrote:

    > Merely, launching Perl produces the Undefined symbol condition.
    > Suggestions sought

    Try using Python instead.

    Tad McClellan, Jun 25, 2006