NN vs. IE - time to render page

Martin Honnen

Paul said:
In NN/FF/Moz, it takes 20 sec to render a page from a file of 330 KB.

It takes less than 1 sec to render that file in IE.

Is there some tweak that I can make on NN to alter this? The difference
is absolutely annoying and unacceptable.

Are you using any JavaScript in that page that you think causes the
problem? If so post a URL.

Paul Thompson

Martin said:
Are you using any JavaScript in that page that you think causes the
problem? If so post a URL.

There is actually no Javascript on the page. If you could point me to a
more appropriate list, I would ask my question there.

kaeli

There is actually no Javascript on the page.

Um, then why did you post to a JS group? ;)
If you could point me to a
more appropriate list, I would ask my question there.

Since the problem appears to be with your browser, you'd be better off
on a browser-specific list.
NN/FF/Moz are all based on the same engine.

Try the groups mentioned here.
http://www.mozilla.org/support/

~kaeli~
Murphy's Law #2030: If at first you don't succeed, destroy
all evidence that you tried.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

LÄÊ»ie Techie

In NN/FF/Moz, it takes 20 sec to render a page from a file of 330 KB.

It takes less than 1 sec to render that file in IE.

Is there some tweak that I can make on NN to alter this? The difference
is absolutely annoying and unacceptable.

One thing I've noticed, Gecko tends to load the entire table before
displaying any of the cells, whereas IE displays cells as the document is
parsed, changing cell widths and / or heights as necessary.

Other than that, I don't know why Gecko would be slower than IE.

BTW, you should probably state which version of Netscape you are comparing
with which version of IE.

La'ie Techie

Grant Wagner

L??ie Techie said:
One thing I've noticed, Gecko tends to load the entire table before
displaying any of the cells, whereas IE displays cells as the document is
parsed, changing cell widths and / or heights as necessary.

Other than that, I don't know why Gecko would be slower than IE.

BTW, you should probably state which version of Netscape you are comparing
with which version of IE.

La'ie Techie

You may be able to compensate for the slow rendering of large tables in
Netscape 7+/Gecko-based browsers using some of the tweaks available at <url:
http://www.tweakfactor.com/articles/tweaks/firefoxtweak/4.html />.
Specifically: user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

However, any such fix will only affect your own PC, it is unlikely you will be
able to convince all of your audience using Gecko-based browsers to make this
change in their own environment.

Disclaimer: the only changes I have made as shown on the URL above are:

user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.firstrequest", true);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 8);
user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);

They have improved browsing performance for me in Gecko-based browsers, your
experience may differ.

--
Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*

* Netscape 7 DOM Reference available at:
* http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref
* Tips for upgrading Javascript for Netscape 7 / Mozilla