NN vs. IE - time to render page

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Martin Honnen, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Paul Thompson wrote:

    > In NN/FF/Moz, it takes 20 sec to render a page from a file of 330 KB.
    >
    > It takes less than 1 sec to render that file in IE.
    >
    > Is there some tweak that I can make on NN to alter this? The difference
    > is absolutely annoying and unacceptable.

    Are you using any JavaScript in that page that you think causes the
    problem? If so post a URL.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Jul 15, 2004

  2. In NN/FF/Moz, it takes 20 sec to render a page from a file of 330 KB.

    Paul Thompson, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Martin Honnen wrote:

    > Paul Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> In NN/FF/Moz, it takes 20 sec to render a page from a file of 330 KB.
    >>
    >> It takes less than 1 sec to render that file in IE.
    >>
    >> Is there some tweak that I can make on NN to alter this? The
    >> difference is absolutely annoying and unacceptable.

    > Are you using any JavaScript in that page that you think causes the
    > problem? If so post a URL.

    There is actually no Javascript on the page. If you could point me to a
    more appropriate list, I would ask my question there.

    Paul Thompson, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Martin Honnen

    kaeli Guest

    In article <cd6ikn$jql$>,
    enlightened us with...

    > There is actually no Javascript on the page.

    Um, then why did you post to a JS group? ;)

    > If you could point me to a
    > more appropriate list, I would ask my question there.

    Since the problem appears to be with your browser, you'd be better off
    on a browser-specific list.
    NN/FF/Moz are all based on the same engine.

    Try the groups mentioned here.
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/

    ~kaeli~
    Murphy's Law #2030: If at first you don't succeed, destroy
    all evidence that you tried.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Paul Thompson wrote:
    > There is actually no Javascript on the page. If you could point me
    > to a more appropriate list, I would ask my question there.

    This is no mailing list, it is a public Usenet newsgroup:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>

    HTH

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jul 18, 2004
  6. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:16:07 -0500, Paul Thompson wrote:

    > In NN/FF/Moz, it takes 20 sec to render a page from a file of 330 KB.
    >
    > It takes less than 1 sec to render that file in IE.
    >
    > Is there some tweak that I can make on NN to alter this? The difference
    > is absolutely annoying and unacceptable.

    One thing I've noticed, Gecko tends to load the entire table before
    displaying any of the cells, whereas IE displays cells as the document is
    parsed, changing cell widths and / or heights as necessary.

    Other than that, I don't know why Gecko would be slower than IE.

    BTW, you should probably state which version of Netscape you are comparing
    with which version of IE.

    La'ie Techie

    LÄÊ»ie Techie, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Martin Honnen

    Grant Wagner Guest

    L??ie Techie wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:16:07 -0500, Paul Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > In NN/FF/Moz, it takes 20 sec to render a page from a file of 330 KB.
    > >
    > > It takes less than 1 sec to render that file in IE.
    > >
    > > Is there some tweak that I can make on NN to alter this? The difference
    > > is absolutely annoying and unacceptable.

    > One thing I've noticed, Gecko tends to load the entire table before
    > displaying any of the cells, whereas IE displays cells as the document is
    > parsed, changing cell widths and / or heights as necessary.
    >
    > Other than that, I don't know why Gecko would be slower than IE.
    >
    > BTW, you should probably state which version of Netscape you are comparing
    > with which version of IE.
    >
    > La'ie Techie

    You may be able to compensate for the slow rendering of large tables in
    Netscape 7+/Gecko-based browsers using some of the tweaks available at <url:
    http://www.tweakfactor.com/articles/tweaks/firefoxtweak/4.html />.
    Specifically: user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

    However, any such fix will only affect your own PC, it is unlikely you will be
    able to convince all of your audience using Gecko-based browsers to make this
    change in their own environment.

    Disclaimer: the only changes I have made as shown on the URL above are:

    user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining.firstrequest", true);
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 8);
    user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);

    They have improved browsing performance for me in Gecko-based browsers, your
    experience may differ.

    --
    Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *

    * Netscape 7 DOM Reference available at:
    * http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref
    * Tips for upgrading Javascript for Netscape 7 / Mozilla

    Grant Wagner, Jul 20, 2004