    services.somewhere.com/service.asmx/WebMethodName?

    Please let me know if not clear or not making sense.

    Regards,

    BonesBrigadier, Oct 22, 2008

  2. "BonesBrigadier" <> wrote in message
    news:#...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Is there a way we can config Web.Config/IIS to point to
    > services.somewhere.com/WebMethodName instead of
    > services.somewhere.com/service.asmx/WebMethodName?

    No, the ASMX file is what's necessary. IIS serves _files_, so there has to
    be a file.

    John Saunders, Oct 22, 2008

  3. Hi John,

    Thanks for your reply.

    The asmx file would still be there but it wouldn't be mentioned in the URL
    (something like default documents on IIS - if you do www.something.com it
    will default to www.something.com/default.aspx or whatever we want). Still
    not possible?

    BonesBrigadier, Oct 22, 2008
  4. "BonesBrigadier" <> wrote in message
    > Hi John,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > The asmx file would still be there but it wouldn't be mentioned in the URL
    > (something like default documents on IIS - if you do www.something.com it
    > will default to www.something.com/default.aspx or whatever we want). Still
    > not possible?

    I suppose that, if you set up IIS to use default documents, then you could
    do this.

    Can you say why you want to? The URL of a web service isn't usually visible
    to many humans.

    John Saunders, Oct 22, 2008
  5. Hi John,

    Thanks again for all your help.

    Main reason for this is to make it as elegant as possible. Also, in other
    technologies is possible to do it (I believe java and Tomcat can do
    something like this).

    If I have 4 Webmethods under services.something.com then it would make sense
    to present them as services.something.com/WebMethod. Elegant solution. Also,
    a web service shouldn't be seen as a page. It should link straight to dll
    shouldn't it? Maybe new IIS makes it possible, but I haven't looked into it.

    I have came across Spring.NET where you can do what I am looking for so that
    means I am not alone :D

    IIS won't allow me what I described because it thinks the WebMethod is a
    file/folder and returns 404.

    Please let me know if something else comes to your mind. I will do the same
    if you want me to.

    Thanks,

    BonesBrigadier, Oct 22, 2008
  6. "BonesBrigadier" <> wrote in message
    > Hi John,
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help.
    >
    > Main reason for this is to make it as elegant as possible. Also, in other
    > technologies is possible to do it (I believe java and Tomcat can do
    > something like this).

    My understanding of the concept of "elegance" involves not doing any more
    than necessary. Nobody looks at these URLs. Why are you?

    John Saunders, Oct 22, 2008
  7. I agree. No more than necessary. That's what I am trying to achieve as the
    name of the file is not needed.

    I will be providing these URLs to my clients and so it is much easier to
    remember if there are no file name as it will be only
    services.whatever.com/WebMethod.

    Anyway, thanks for your help and thoughts.

    Regards,

    BonesBrigadier, Oct 22, 2008
  8. One WebService with 4 WebMethods.

    I want to expose several methods using same URL. Something like:

    services.whatever.com/webmethod1
    services.whatever.com/webmethod2
    services.whatever.com/webmethod3
    services.whatever.com/webmethod4

    Might be a REST style service. I will read a lot more about all this.

    Regards,

    BonesBrigadier, Oct 22, 2008
  9. "BonesBrigadier" <> wrote in message
    > I agree. No more than necessary. That's what I am trying to achieve as the
    > name of the file is not needed.
    >
    > I will be providing these URLs to my clients and so it is much easier to
    > remember if there are no file name as it will be only
    > services.whatever.com/WebMethod.

    You may want to keep in mind that nobody else bothers to change this.
    Chances are there are reasons for that.

    Either your clients have used web services before, and know not to worry
    about what URLs look like, or yours is the first, and you'll be setting them
    up to be disappointed with their second.

    John Saunders, Oct 22, 2008