No ASPNET user account

Guest

Hi,

I have installed .NET but the ASPNET account, which I need to add to virtual
directories in order to get ASP.NET applications to work, is not on the
computer. I've checked everywhere and it just hasn't been created.

I searched the web and all other instances of this problem seem to have been
solved (or the person has given up on that particular NG) by running
regiis.exe -i from the .NET Framework directory. However, this doesn't work
for me.

I'm running Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Sam

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

For Windows Server 2003, ASP.NET uses a user account named "NetworkService"
instead of "ASPNET" by default.

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

How did you check for the ASP.NET acct?
And if not there may try re-installing.
Patrick

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Sam,

Is it running as this account?: NT Authority\NetworkService

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/THCMCh20.asp

If not, you might need repair ASP.NET. Try this from the command line in
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

aspnet_regiis.exe -ua
aspnet_regiis.exe -i -enable
aspnet_regiis.exe -lv

If necessary, you can create a custom account to run ASP.NET:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod15.asp

Ken

Guest

Many thanks Steve. You have no idea how long I spent looking for something
like that. I thought it may be a different username on SBS but they're
keeping it a closely guarded secret.

Thanks again,

Sam

Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thanks to Ken's post that solved my problem. In the past I had all kinds problems with the ASPNET account but this time the ASPNET account was gone after my computer name was changed and reconnected to the network! Now I got it back.