    Paul DS

    --
    Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.
    Paul D.Smith, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Paul D.Smith

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Paul D.Smith wrote:

    > I am investigating how to represent a family tree in HTML and cannot find
    > any of the useful "box/line" characters such as a "T" or "inverted T" and
    > similar used to create hierarchical diagrams.
    >
    > Are these characters really not available in HTML?

    You would probably be best off representing this as a bunch of nested
    unordered lists:

    * Bob Black Sr (married Mary Smith)
    * Bob Black Jr (married Barbara Henderson)
    * Robert Black III
    * James Black
    * Amy Black (married Walter Monroe)
    * Jessica Monroe
    * Bob Monroe

    But in answer to your question, yes these characters are available in HTML
    -- the whole Unicode character set is. Of course, browser support varies.

    Look into Unicode characters U+2500 to U+257F.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./counting_crows/mr_jones_acoustic_version.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Nov 22, 2004

  3. On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:37:32 +0000, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Paul D.Smith wrote:
    >
    >> I am investigating how to represent a family tree in HTML and cannot find
    >> any of the useful "box/line" characters such as a "T" or "inverted T" and
    >> similar used to create hierarchical diagrams.
    >>
    >> Are these characters really not available in HTML?

    >You would probably be best off representing this as a bunch of nested
    >unordered lists:
    >
    >* Bob Black Sr (married Mary Smith)
    > * Bob Black Jr (married Barbara Henderson)
    > * Robert Black III
    > * James Black
    > * Amy Black (married Walter Monroe)
    > * Jessica Monroe
    > * Bob Monroe

    I once did a similar experiment with lists like this:

    <http://theodorakis.net/elvishgenealogy.html>

    (It's a project I got bored with and abandoned). I used small gif as a
    list marker.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
    Nick Theodorakis, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Paul D.Smith

    Andy Dingley Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Of course, browser support varies.

    Surely for these "box characters" that would be a question of OS
    support, not browser support ? AFAIR, these were a PC / DOS
    invention.

    There's also the issue that they're dependent on a fixed-width font.
    You might get them to display, you might even use <tt>...</tt> (or
    similar in CSS) to get them to align, but just re-sizing the window
    might change line wrapping and break the layout.

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Paul D.Smith

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > Surely for these "box characters" that would be a question of OS
    > support, not browser support ?

    With Unicode it tends to be a combination of both of the above and also:

    - which fonts you have installed;
    - which versions of those fonts you have installed;
    - whether there's a full moon;
    - the breed of goat you've just sacrificed;
    - the size of the pentagram in which you sacrificed it; and
    - the amount of its blood that you drank.

    Get all that right, and Unicode will work just fine.

    > There's also the issue that they're dependent on a fixed-width font.
    > You might get them to display, you might even use <tt>...</tt> (or
    > similar in CSS) to get them to align, but just re-sizing the window
    > might change line wrapping and break the layout.

    <pre>...</pre> might be easier in this case.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./matchbox_twenty/more_than_you_think_you_are/08_could_i_be_you.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Paul D.Smith

    nigelbee

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Box characters in HTML

    I've found that the best way to do box characters in HTML is to:
    1. Create an HTML table
    2. Use a Cascading Style Sheet to define specific classes of the Table Data object, such as:
    td.bottom_right { border-bottom: 1px solid black; border-right: 1px solid black; }
    3. The boxing can then be done from HTML by invoking:
    nigelbee, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Paul D.Smith

    nigelbee

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    I've put a link to a simple example of an HTML family tree on my website:

    http://www.nigelbee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
    nigelbee, Jul 28, 2006